Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Idler Pulley Replacement. How to:

Old 03-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #1
TAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Charles
TAKoma907's Tacoma Gallery
*SEEKING HELP* w/ Idler Pulley Replacement. How to:

Hey I have a new Idler Pulley that I want to put on my truck. I searched on here for a how to and didnt see a writeup. Maybe I am blind, but I didnt find anything. I don't have a lot of time to waste as I am going to break some company policies by working on my truck in the shop so I was hoping to read a write up first so I don't run into any surprises. Any help is good help, if not I will just wing it. Thanks!
Old 03-08-2013, 05:48 PM   #2
TAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTAKoma907 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Anyone? ...Bueller? ...Bueller?
Old 03-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #3

I guess I'm winging it
Old 03-08-2013, 06:57 PM   #4
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Good luck! It's not hard. I changed my lower idler today and it was fairly easy. If the V6 is anything like the 4 cyl then wrenches/sockets needed is all 14mm.
Old 03-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #6
Brandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrandon### is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Brandon###'s Tacoma Gallery
Step 1 remove belt
Step 2 remove old idler pulley
Step 3 install new idler pulley
Step 4 install belt

It's usually that easy. Good luck
Old 03-09-2013, 04:23 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilidogrc View Post

Thank you! Exactly what I was looking for! +1
Old 03-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon### View Post
Step 1 remove belt
Step 2 remove old idler pulley
Step 3 install new idler pulley
Step 4 install belt

It's usually that easy. Good luck
Not sure why I need to remove my belt. I can't work on my truck if my pants keep falling down. Send better instructions
Old 03-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #9
WATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the roughWATacoRider is a jewel in the rough
WATacoRider's Tacoma Gallery
Why do you want to replace the idler pulley?

I notice my truck makes a squeaking noise when I first start my truck. I'm guessing it's the belt though. Almost 60K miles on it.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:12 AM   #10
iroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shediroh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

iroh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKoma907 View Post
Not sure why I need to remove my belt. I can't work on my truck if my pants keep falling down. Send better instructions
LMAO

Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
Why do you want to replace the idler pulley?

I notice my truck makes a squeaking noise when I first start my truck. I'm guessing it's the belt though. Almost 60K miles on it.
Mine sounded like a roots supercharger. Bearing was shot.

OP's was even older than mine so it was probably time.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:43 PM   #11
Syncros is on a distinguished road
Syncros's Tacoma Gallery
I replaced all 3 idlers and the complete tensioner assembly yesterday. I had plenty of tension but some internal part of the arm (a bushing I suppose) was worn out allowing it to misalign the belt.

First I starting by removing the following:

Battery
Engine cover
Skid Plate
Serpentine belt
Alternator and wiring harness brackets

Next I removed the four AC compressor bolts and moved it away from the tensioner assembly. The lower bolts are difficult but if you are patient and use a 12 point socket and fine tooth ratchet, no problem.

Removed the tensioner assembly via the 5 mounting bolts, Replaced with a Gates unit along with the 3 idler pulleys (I recommend these) and a new Gatorback belt.

Took me 2.5 hours start to finish, the FSM helped with bolt locations and the torque specs are listed in it.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:20 PM   #12
ncsilver06 is on a distinguished road
ncsilver06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WATacoRider View Post
My truck was doing this too and a new belt fixed it. Cheaper and easier to change the belt out first before messing with idler pullies.