1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Valve location for Ride Rite airbags

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Agro, Mar 8, 2013.

1. Mar 8, 2013 at 7:43 PM
    Agro

Agro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    I installed my ride rite bags tonight but haven't ran the tubing yet as I am unsure where to mount the valves.

I think mounting on the port for the trailer lights is a poor idea since you could hit the bumper and people have ripped that off

I think drilling the bumper on each side next to the plate is viable. Only issue I see is when the tail gate is down , it can be difficult to air it up

Installing in the gas tank door looks good except I don't know where is best to drill and how you could access it from behind. It looks real tight.

So what do you all recommend? If it is a unique spot, do you have a picture? Could you provide any info on how to complete the job?

Firestone Ride Rite on 2013
    DCSB 4x4 TRD Sport

Thanks

2. Mar 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM
    fla taco

fla taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Florida
    Vehicle:
    05 Dblcab TRD OR
    I'm going to be installing the ride rites on my taco so I've been reading threads related to installations. Many have installed the valves in the storage bins in the bed, some with both left and right in one bin and others with the left in the left bin and right in the right bin. I was leaning towards drilling the trailer plug bracket but am also considering the storage bin option. How was the rest of the installation for you?

3. Mar 8, 2013 at 10:17 PM
    lockwire24

lockwire24 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Vancouver
    Vehicle:
    2012 MG DBL cab LB TRD sport
    Cobra CB, Firestik II w/ Relentless hood mount, 4x Innovation sliders, Level 8 tracker pro, TRD exhaust, home made grill insert, Leer XR, led bed lights, King shocks, LR uca, Pelfreybuilt front/rear bumpers and skid plates, B.A.M.F. rear shock relocate.
    I installed mine under each of the license plate lights. That way I won't step on them and they are easy to access if the bed is full.

4. Mar 8, 2013 at 10:24 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    On each side of the license plate is where mine were installed after they stupidly put them on the bottom of the bumper first.

5. Mar 8, 2013 at 11:03 PM
    Blueanimal

Blueanimal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Orleans area, La
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Sport
    K&N 77 series intake, Throttle boby spacer, Bilstien 5100, Firestone airbags, Brush Gaurd, Gooseneck hitch, Whelen lights and siren
    Mine are in the wheel wells. Drilled a whole in the cross rid under the bed on each side.

6. Mar 9, 2013 at 2:49 AM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    I am trying to visualize that?

You want it to be where you can get to them easily, put a tire gauge on them to read the pressure, and obviously to easily add (or remove) air.

fwiw, do not go anywhere near the max. rating of the bags... you can actually crack an axle. 45 psi was the most I had in mine when I had a super heavy load. Normally, 15 psi was good, or to 25 for a little extra height/ firmness. Most loaded bed times were at 35 psi.

7. Mar 9, 2013 at 3:26 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    Both in left rear storage bin on front wall. I ran power to the bin also. Bought a cheapo Slime brand compressor to keep in the bin.

8. Mar 9, 2013 at 3:45 AM
    Gearheadesw

Gearheadesw must modify

Member:
    Davenport Fl
    Vehicle:
    1 truck 1 car 1 motorcycle
    Left side storage bin. Instead of using a compressor, I stuck a bicycle pump in my tool box. 2 pumps each give them like 60 psi. Then adjust as necessary.

9. Mar 9, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    Blueanimal

Blueanimal Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    New Orleans area, La
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner Sport
    K&N 77 series intake, Throttle boby spacer, Bilstien 5100, Firestone airbags, Brush Gaurd, Gooseneck hitch, Whelen lights and siren
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362836410.366755.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362836423.466962.jpg
    It's pretty easy to get to. I haven't had any problems with it. Planning on adding controls for them eventually.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362836391.349567.jpg

10. Mar 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Well, how do you know how much air to add without a load in the truck, if you are trying to just return the truck to level? I mean, with the truck loaded, how do you easily access the storage places in the bed? You need to put an air hose to it and you need to put a tire gauge on it to make sure they are both equal.

I would add different amounts of air over the basic 15 psi depending on the load, but I would load the truck then add air to see it return to factory level, or a tad above. Amazing how much higher you feel in the cab when you raise the truck just an inch or so!

11. Mar 9, 2013 at 2:42 PM
    David K

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    I guess because I use a short dial gauge, it looks like a terrible place to see what the pressure is, way back in there? What ever works for you...

12. Mar 12, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    ExtremeCustoms505

ExtremeCustoms505 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Albuquerque WS
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma 4d 4x4
    3" Revtek spacer kit in front w/ aal and 1" block in rear. No TSB aal installed yet. Spider Trax spacers.
    I ran my lines into a tee fitting then used a single valve and mounted it on my trailer plug bracket. Easy access and out of the way.

13. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:27 AM
    Agro

Agro [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5L Ecoboost!
    I ran mine so that each valve is under each license plate light. I do have a leak on one side. I set them both at 40psi (just for testing the last few days, to see if they hold, zero load in the rear, drives a little strange) and after 1 day my passenger is down to 20psi. not sure where the leak is at, but i'll have to figure this out one of these nights.

14. Mar 12, 2013 at 6:27 PM
    Kulahaga

Kulahaga Tacomaized

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Florida Panhandle
    Vehicle:
    2010 * Regular Cab * 2.7 * Manual
    Curt Receiver Hitch * Firestone RideRite Air Springs * OEM Chrome Grill * OEM Intermittent Wipers * OEM Cruise Control * UltraGauge * * Anytime Fog Lights * Cargo Bar & Cargo Net * Pop & Lock and Bully Tailgate Security * TonnoPro Tri-Fold Tonneau Cover * Backup Camera * * LED Interior, Under Door, Under Hood & Cargo Lighting * Pin Stripes * Wet Okole Seat Cover * ImMrYo Mirror Mod * DVR207 Dash Camera *
    Here is where I mounted my air valves.

They are out of the way, yet easily accessible with the tailgate up or down. Their proximity to the license plate lights makes it easy to get pressure readings at night.

100_7485.jpg

100_7486.jpg

15. Sep 24, 2014 at 4:30 PM
    Shade

Shade Member

Member:
    Chesapeake, Va
    Vehicle:
    4X4 TRD Off Road Edition
    Toyota TRD exhaust, 1" lift via Bilstein 5100's (can't go too high... tree branches!), Nitto Terra Grapplers, Undercover tonneau cover,
    I'm getting ready to install and also wondering where to place the valves. I would be concerned about obtaining access to the storage bins inside the bed to air up the bags if I had the bed loaded down (ie mulch, gravel, lumber)

16. Sep 24, 2014 at 4:41 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    I have a hitch and drilled a hole in the plate on each side above the square tubing. The valves point down. I originally had them pointed out, but my 265/ 75/ 16 spare was pushing against the lines and I was afraid they would get damaged. Now they're fine. Hit the caps with some black Krylon and they disappear.

17. Sep 25, 2014 at 7:10 AM
    boomer6

boomer6 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    TN
    Vehicle:
    Tacoma TRD Offroad
    disabled DRLs disabled seat belt chime disabled the key in the ignition with door open buzzer Installed Illuminated 4wd switch circuit board Marker lights Flashing with turn signals Toggle switch ABS Disable Fog Lights on AnyTime Mod Changed to Yellow bulbs in the Fog Lights Converted interior lights to leds Installed oem roof rack Installed Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags and Daystar Cradles for the air bags Added oil catch can Relentless Tailgate Protector installed
    I put mine on each side of the trailer plug. Havent had any problems so far.

Products Discussed in

To Top