Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY paint color matching parts

Old 03-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #21
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkmcinty View Post
I taped it.....I attempted to take it apart and realized the wiring runs through it and its very tight so I said screw it ill take 2 minutes and just tape it hehe
FWIW, taking the mirror completely apart only takes the removal of 4 screws. 3 screws hold the mirror cover to the base then I believe there is one screw in the inside that secure a wire retainer.

Also, I would caution anyone attempting this who has a superwhite Tacoma. Some of the Duplicolor cans are spot on, like in the OP's case or the MGM, but the superwhite is tough to match. It will be noticeably different from the color of the truck. I tried the Duplicolor paint match and also 2 other brands and came to the conclusion that it is a tough match from a can. To be sure, do a test piece, including clear coat, and hold it up to the truck.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #22
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
I did not use dupli color and to take apart the mirror you must remove the wiring pigtail and mine was so tit inside the outer plastic piece that I figured taping would be easier
Old 03-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #23
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I did not use dupli color and to take apart the mirror you must remove the wiring pigtail and mine was so tit inside the outer plastic piece that I figured taping would be easier
Sorry, I mis-typed, I know you didn't use Duplicolor, it was just a general word of caution for people thinking about color matching their own parts. You did it the right way by having some paint mixed up for you.

You don't have to remove the wiring pigtail to get the colored part away from the black plastic base, they will separate with all the wiring in tact. Again, just for anyone contemplating doing this. Yours came out looking great with just taping, but someone was asking about taking the mirrors apart.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:10 PM   #24
Angrytaco
Emtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Paramedic
Name: Brad
Emtmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Oh ok, I just can't get over how professional it looks, looks factory for sure
Old 03-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #25
Angrytaco
Emtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Sorry, I mis-typed, I know you didn't use Duplicolor, it was just a general word of caution for people thinking about color matching their own parts. You did it the right way by having some paint mixed up for you.

You don't have to remove the wiring pigtail to get the colored part away from the black plastic base, they will separate with all the wiring in tact. Again, just for anyone contemplating doing this. Yours came out looking great with just taping, but someone was asking about taking the mirrors apart.
Good to know and thanks for the info on taking it apart
Old 03-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #26
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

My wiring pigtail runs through both pieces so obviously it has to come out of either the mirror part of the black part that mounts to the truck......like I said I just didn't feel like messing with it after I took the three screws out and took a look inside its just as easy to tape it off but to each their own.....there's more than one way to skin a cat
Old 03-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #27
Angrytaco
Lol I'm lazy so I'll prob tape, effective and easy
Old 03-12-2013, 12:53 PM   #28
tatortot46 is on a distinguished road
Firefighter: lieutenant
tatortot46's Tacoma Gallery
whats next?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:10 PM   #30
Toytruckmike will become famous soon enoughToytruckmike will become famous soon enough

Name: Michael
Toytruckmike's Tacoma Gallery
looks great

looks great and I like the black tacoma emblem.
What's with the wire going from the door to the hood?

I have my gps antenna going that way, but I was able to hide it in the crack where the fender meets the A pillar.

Are you going to do your engine cover too? I like those painted silver.
Cheers !

Michael
Old 03-12-2013, 01:38 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toytruckmike View Post
looks great and I like the black tacoma emblem.
What's with the wire going from the door to the hood?

I have my gps antenna going that way, but I was able to hide it in the crack where the fender meets the A pillar.

Are you going to do your engine cover too? I like those painted silver.
Cheers !

Michael
Haha damn I was hoping nobody would notice that!! It's the harness for my LEDs in my bumper I'm going to wire it through the firewall just been too lazy to do it haha
Old 03-12-2013, 01:39 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCDuran View Post
Would this work on the stock black plasticy mirrors and bumper?
Yes my mirrors were the stock black plastic ones and yes I'm doing my bumper and stock black door handles next
Old 03-12-2013, 01:40 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatortot46 View Post
whats next?
I plan on doing my stock black door handles and rear chrome bumper this week!! Ill be sure to post pics
Old 03-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #34
Stormtrooper
KCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shedKCDuran is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: LT
Name: Kyle
KCDuran's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yes my mirrors were the stock black plastic ones and yes I'm doing my bumper and stock black door handles next
awesome!!!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:02 PM   #35
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!!! Looks great man!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:05 PM   #36
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
I just started the process a few days ago. Its getting done... when I have the time. I am painting the bases of the mirrors too.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #37

Post pics when you are done I had a hard time deciding whether or not to paint the bases myself
Old 03-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
Will do. I have most of the pieces sanded and primed already. I just need to find some time to get some paint and take my gun out of retirement lol
Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #39

And a teaser shot for the bumper!! Primer'd up!!

Old 03-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #40

Almost time for a new signature!!