Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

DIY paint color matching parts

Old 03-09-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bkmcinty's Tacoma Gallery
DIY paint color matching parts

Ok so here goes my first write up.....it's been long overdue! I have recently got into painting. I've been using spray paint my entire life for various projects but recently wanted to take my paint work to a new level. I also got into the hydrographics business this past year and also needed to purchase the same tools including a new air compressor and a couple of nice hvlp spray guns. After much practice I got the hang of it. Now I'm no professional but my work looks good enough for me! I went down to the automotive sherwin Williams and had them mix me a quart of 1E7 which is silver streak mica. They can mix literally any color you want just need the paint code which can be found via google. I originally wanted to do my mirrors and will soon be doing my rear bumper and possibly door handles. This can also be done using the same steps using dupli color spray paint which can be bought at autozone or other auto parts stores.

The following prep work will be the same whether using spray paint or paint out of a can using an hvlp gun.

1. Sand mirror with 100-150 grit sand paper
2. Sand again with 300-400 grit
3. Sand again with 1000 (optional)
4. Wipe clean with tack rag or microfiber cloth with water
5. Spray on a coat or two of primer or adhesion promoter
6. Two or three coats of paint
7. Two coats of 2k clear coat

It's a fairly simple process that anyone can do it just takes a little time and patience. I don't see how you can mess up the mirrors and if it doesn't turn out the way you wanted it you can start over with step one or wipe clean with paint thinner.

I will be using the same prep work and process on the metal bumper and door handles as well. Feel free to ask any questions and I will help as much as possible.

Here is the finished product:

Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Woah! How did that get here?
EFalco50 will become famous soon enoughEFalco50 will become famous soon enough
Name: Ethan
EFalco50's Tacoma Gallery
I like this! Thanks!
Old 03-09-2013, 09:21 AM   #3
bkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shedbkmcinty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Absolutely! Anything to help my fellow taco owners out!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #6

There ya go!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #7
Xer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of lightXer0 SiN is a glorious beacon of light

Army: veterans affairs
Xer0 SiN's Tacoma Gallery
looks real smooth. thanks for the write up. think i might utilize this instead of buying me whole new assemblies and covers for the blinkers lol.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xer0 SiN View Post
looks real smooth. thanks for the write up. think i might utilize this instead of buying me whole new assemblies and covers for the blinkers lol.
Thanks!! Yes you should try it.....it's fun!! And makes a hell of a difference of the look of the truck for sure!!
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #9
Asianguywithatruk is on a distinguished road
Asianguywithatruk's Tacoma Gallery
Awesome work there. Now paint the rear bumper!!! LoL.

Ok just read your entire post. Can't wait to see how the bumper turn out cus I want to paint mine too.
Old 03-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #10

Yep! Bumper and door handles are next
Old 03-10-2013, 10:40 AM   #11

Anyone done the handles??
Old 03-10-2013, 04:24 PM   #13

Nice!! What paint did you use? Dupli color or mixed paint out of a gun??
Old 03-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #15
I'd rather be skiing...
teneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shedteneighty is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
teneighty's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianguywithatruk View Post
Awesome work there. Now paint the rear bumper!!! LoL.

Ok just read your entire post. Can't wait to see how the bumper turn out cus I want to paint mine too.
THIS!!^^^^^

Now I have some projects to do!! I want to color match the chrome grill, handles, mirrors and bumper

How did you sand? Hand or power sander?
Old 03-10-2013, 09:26 PM   #16

I sanded by hand but will probably use my sander for the bumper just because its more area to sand.....you can hand sand the mirrors in five minutes
Old 03-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #17
Angrytaco
Emtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Paramedic
Name: Brad
Emtmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Looks awesome dude, I'm starting to get into hvlp painting too, I want to paint my front and rear glass plus mirrors and handles. Did you tape up the remaining black portion or disassemble it?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:07 PM   #18

I taped it.....I attempted to take it apart and realized the wiring runs through it and its very tight so I said screw it ill take 2 minutes and just tape it hehe
Old 03-11-2013, 12:09 PM   #19
Angrytaco
Emtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shedEmtmeyer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
EMS: Paramedic
Name: Brad
Emtmeyer's Tacoma Gallery
Gotcha, we'll it really looks good and super smooth, what did you sand the primer with?
Old 03-11-2013, 12:32 PM   #20

Used adhesion promoter so I didn't sand after