Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Stock vs AFE vs Volant - if you don't like don't bother

Old 03-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
Socal, you love that video, don't you? Didn't I see you post that in another thread a few minutes ago?
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #22
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Notice at 2:17 the dude farthest to the right get a ass grab by the dude next to him lol.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
Special Substitute Guest Member
cintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shedcintocrunch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
cintocrunch's Tacoma Gallery
AFR's?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:02 PM   #24
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
dynos are done at WOT. day to day driving isnt going to make a difference. Been there, and tested that. back to back, with a gauge hooked up.
And this is the fact that everyone misses. Dynos, 0-60, qtr mile times, all at wot, i.e., open loop. Daily driving differences are minimal at best, but there are gains to be had at the closed to open loop transition.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:09 PM   #25
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
I actually routed my air filter and intake into my cabin, then I turn the A/c on. Wanna talk about a cold air-closed system...
Old 03-12-2013, 07:16 AM   #26
BARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud ofBARTRD has much to be proud of

Name: Brian
BARTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
I actually routed my air filter and intake into my cabin, then I turn the A/c on. Wanna talk about a cold air-closed system...
I'm intrigued. Do you have any pics if this? I'm just curious as to what exactly you did. A coworker talked about doing something that sounds like this to his sequoia.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 AM   #27
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BARTRD View Post
I'm intrigued. Do you have any pics if this? I'm just curious as to what exactly you did. A coworker talked about doing something that sounds like this to his sequoia.
Check this thread out for some ideas. Look at the bottom of the first page for pics of an intake being routed into the cab, then at page 3 for an intake being routed into the cabin air intake cowl at the back of the hood.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-snorkel.html
Old 03-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #28
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rod
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Yeah, yeah, yeah,,, now tell them about how your ears pop everytime you floor it with the windows closed due to all the negative pressure in the cab!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:50 AM   #29
nathan3306 is on a distinguished road

Air Force: AMMO
Name: Nathan
nathan3306's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
First let me get this out of the way, if you think CAI's are stupid and useless great, but please don't post here. The main reason I'm making this thread is because I was fortunate enough to be able to try a volant and an afe stage 2 si back to back.
May have to look into this AFE intake. Good write up OP, even though some voice their opinions when they were not wanted in the first place.

I've always liked intakes for their looks, sound, easy maintenance, and some performance.
Old 03-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #31
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugga View Post
Check this thread out for some ideas. Look at the bottom of the first page for pics of an intake being routed into the cab, then at page 3 for an intake being routed into the cabin air intake cowl at the back of the hood.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...h-snorkel.html
Holy shit I thought I was joking lolol
Old 03-28-2013, 08:47 AM   #32
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

I've been using the AFE for maybe 1000 miles now, I just got back from an 800 mile round trip so I have a pretty good idea now of how the intake works. The mpg's for the trip averaged about 19 @ 75-80 mph most of the time so I have no doubt if I'd gone slower I could have broken into the 20 mpg range.

I have tried it both with and without the front opening plugged and there isn't a whole lot of difference. It is a little quieter with the plug in, maybe a little better response at low rpm's but no difference in mpg's. Overall I really like this intake, but.....

...the wife doesn't. She was with me for this long trip (the tacoma is our "going places" vehicle) and she wasn't a fan of the sound. I honestly never notice it except when I floor it to pass people, but she thought it was louder than it used to be all the time and she really hated the passing noise.

Since an unhappy wife/passenger = a really, really LONG ass trip it looks like I'll probably end up selling this intake. If you are interested check out the buy/sell section later on today, I'm also going to post it on craigslist.

I wish I could keep this and normally my wife is pretty good about vehicle related things but this time I'm giving in to her. She has never once complained about my motorcycle so I think this is a pretty fair deal
Old 03-28-2013, 09:07 AM   #33
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brock
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I've been using the AFE for maybe 1000 miles now, I just got back from an 800 mile round trip so I have a pretty good idea now of how the intake works. The mpg's for the trip averaged about 19 @ 75-80 mph most of the time so I have no doubt if I'd gone slower I could have broken into the 20 mpg range.

I have tried it both with and without the front opening plugged and there isn't a whole lot of difference. It is a little quieter with the plug in, maybe a little better response at low rpm's but no difference in mpg's. Overall I really like this intake, but.....

...the wife doesn't. She was with me for this long trip (the tacoma is our "going places" vehicle) and she wasn't a fan of the sound. I honestly never notice it except when I floor it to pass people, but she thought it was louder than it used to be all the time and she really hated the passing noise.

Since an unhappy wife/passenger = a really, really LONG ass trip it looks like I'll probably end up selling this intake. If you are interested check out the buy/sell section later on today, I'm also going to post it on craigslist.

I wish I could keep this and normally my wife is pretty good about vehicle related things but this time I'm giving in to her. She has never once complained about my motorcycle so I think this is a pretty fair deal

sounds familiar...............cept I trashed the AFE due to my own headaches while passing
Old 03-28-2013, 09:11 AM   #34

Yeah, I already have a little hearing loss, probably will need a hearing aid in the next 10 years so maybe that's why I never noticed it. The wife hadn't said anything in around town driving, it was only after we went on this long trip that she decided she didn't like it.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #35
Geem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant futureGeem750 has a brilliant future

Name: Brandon
Geem750's Tacoma Gallery
still unsure if i want a CAI or not :S
Old 10-31-2013, 01:55 PM   #36
Nothin like a Toyota...
tacoJAK is on a distinguished road
Navy: ET2
Name: Josh
tacoJAK's Tacoma Gallery
"First let me get this out of the way, if you think CAI's are stupid and useless great, but please don't post here."

First off I am not hating on anyone or anything I am just stating my observations...

"I've been driving with the plug removed and the intake temp is still a little lower or equal to stock, around 5 degrees higher than ambient. I plan on testing it with the plug in after a couple tanks to compare."

I have the stock intake on my '06 reg cab. I have the scan gauge II on it. I have had the scan gauge for about 6 years. I love it. Using that I have been monitoring my Air Intake Temp and it is always about equal to 5 degrees higher than ambient. (unless the truck is not moving or in traffic)

Then I tried the "2nd air filter (charcoal filter) delete" mod which I didn't expect to see a difference but didn't think it would hurt to try anyways. I did not see a difference.

Then I tried the "extra airbox in the fender delete" mod (not sure what to call that one...) and I did not notice any difference. (except the engine is a slight and I mean slight bit louder.)

So for free I have a cold air intake just like the Volant or the AFE or any other one out there. I am not comparing this to the Volant with the Ram air scoop on it, although I suspect that will not make much difference on a normal non super charged engine either.

Again I am not hating on anyone, I have done the whole Cold Air Intake thing on many cars (2002 Nissan Altima, 2007 Toyota Tundra, 2007 Chevy Silverado, 2005 Scion TC, and 2007 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited X), I just do not feel like doing it any more. I have tried K&N, AFE, Airaid, and TRD. Usually I would swap between K&N and AFE because I can never make up my mind...lol One thing I know for sure is aside from the thrill of having a new part installed and hearing more noise I do not believe (in my case) that has made any difference besides make a huge dent in my wallet.

Again (I know this is getting repetitive) I am not trying to bash anyone these are just my observations and opinions. If people don't try these ideas we will never find out the truth...