Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

*write up* hood scoop removal and dis-assembly

Old 03-19-2013, 11:56 PM   #21
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Well, that's certainly thinkin' outside the box.
Interesting Mod that prompts a question that's been nagging me.
Way down on my "Mods To Do" list, is replacing my "skewp" mesh, to match my Satoshi Mesh.
If I follow your method, the plastic has to be removed by drilling the rivets, to remove the mesh and is Non-Reversible.
Could the plastic be reinstalled (after new mesh) with some small nuts & Bolts or pop rivets?
Just like you replaced the mesh, Therefore being reversible.

Thanks in advance
CC
They absolutely can. My mesh is M0 matched to my grill. I reinstalled my plastic insert as well
Old 03-20-2013, 12:06 AM   #22
NBBAZ is on a distinguished road
NBBAZ's Tacoma Gallery
I just researched the Ford Raptor hood and found the hood vents are functional letting hot air escape from the engine bay. They supposedly have baffles to block some water but it still gets some water in the engine bay. The vents are placed so that water doesn't hit any fragile engine components. This truck was built to flat out perform from the factory. I doubt their engineers just through hood and fender vents on the Raptor for the hell of it.

I say this mod has merit. Nice job and good idea!
Old 03-20-2013, 01:08 AM   #23
S1000RR will become famous soon enough
S1000RR's Tacoma Gallery
My Lancer Evolution has a huge open hood vent. Drove it though storm, rainstorms, etc. There is absolutely nothing dangerous in having the vent open. Find it hilarious that some people are scared of having a real hood vent. lol.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:16 AM   #24
The Red Bull
BassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shedBassAckwardsDyl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: Aviation Electronics Tech
Name: Dylan
BassAckwardsDyl's Tacoma Gallery
Having the vent open and running through a rainstorm is no more worse than opening yout engine compartment, spraying with with degreaser and then cleaning off with a water hose! I did it to mine a long while back and used zip ties to hold the mesh to the skewp, didn't have any hardware laying around and the zip ties have been holding up perfectly fine. On the negative, my engine is SLIGHTLY dirtier than before... but my truck ain't built for show, its built to be a truck and used as such. Good write up OP
Old 03-20-2013, 04:29 AM   #25
Taco Supreme!
roboots21 is on a distinguished road
Name: Brian
roboots21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BassAckwardsDyl View Post
Having the vent open and running through a rainstorm is no more worse than opening yout engine compartment, spraying with with degreaser and then cleaning off with a water hose! I did it to mine a long while back and used zip ties to hold the mesh to the skewp, didn't have any hardware laying around and the zip ties have been holding up perfectly fine. On the negative, my engine is SLIGHTLY dirtier than before... but my truck ain't built for show, its built to be a truck and used as such. Good write up OP
^^+1 to this. I have had my scoop insert out for four years. Has my engine started to disappear because of ALL that extra dirt and grime and rain that supposedly gets in there? NOPE. It makes me laugh seeing all the haters to this simple mod. If you don't like it .. don't do it. That simple! As stated before, good write up OP.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:14 AM   #26
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
Exactly. Sti's and evo's have huge open vents for their intercoolers (stock at least)

You don't see those hydrolocked every time it rains lol
Old 03-20-2013, 05:22 AM   #27
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
You won't damage anything with the small open space of the scoop, the water will fall down in the crevices to the ground or evaporate.

Good work Detective..
Old 03-20-2013, 06:22 AM   #28
newfieDan is on a distinguished road
Name: Steve
newfieDan's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up/mod. I've always wondered if you can open that thing up, now I know.

Now all i need to do is figure out is how to tie that into the air filter for some Ram Air goodness.
Old 03-20-2013, 08:02 AM   #29
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieDan View Post
Nice write up/mod. I've always wondered if you can open that thing up, now I know.

Now all i need to do is figure out is how to tie that into the air filter for some Ram Air goodness.
It won't work as ram air. It's in a low air pressure area of the hood
Old 03-20-2013, 10:08 AM   #30
Don't taze me bro!
Ostrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shedOstrichsak is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jer
Ostrichsak's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBBAZ View Post
Interesting idea. I was wondering about this, as well as putting extra hood vents to help keep the under hood temps down. For those that live in hot climates this could be beneficial. I used to have a cheap jerokee xj and hood vents were a popular mod to get the under hood temps down. Doing this mod plus adding some hood vents toward the back of the hood could work.

Someone mentioned other current autos have vents to let hot air out...seems true...look around at a lot of the performance cars and truck on the market.

Any benefit in performance etc...I don't know for sure. Thoughts?
I put hood vents in my Typhoon because of the high under-hood temps and will never do it on a vehicle again. WAY too much of a PITA having vents in your hood. Sure it lets a little bit of heat out but it also lets everything else in.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #31
TMadTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Tom
TMadTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up...thanks!
Old 03-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #32
SoCal Tacomas
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Think how nice it will be with rain, snow, girt and grime in your engine bay. Should be a good test on connector seals along with electrical connections.

Good Luck
I've had mine open and did it the same way the OP opened the scoop for 4 years through washes rain and mud...barely any water goes in thru the scoop

The only way I see alot of water getting in there thru the scoop would be you holding the water hose on it we all know non of us are that stupid lol

Nice write up I agree it lets alot of the rises heat escape fast and I feel like my truck "cools" down a bit fast since it can escape
Old 03-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #33
Bam-Ba-Lam

For any of you non believers/haters, here is my engine bay after two weeks with the scoop opened. Detailed the night it was removed, haven't touched it since. Pic taken last night

*write up* hood scoop removal and dis-assembly-image.jpg
Old 03-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #34
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Cool mod! I like the idea of adding additional airflow to the engine bay. Do people actually think water doesn't go in the engine bay when they drive in the rain?

I too have always been willing to take a hose to the engine bay and keep it moderately clean. I have never had any problems associated with this practice, and I can't see any negative by reducing the engine bay temp, even if it's minimal. The scoop is already there, I see no problem to this mod. Nice job!
water doesnt come up from the road surfaces or through that big hole in front of the engine...

i've had mine like this for years. you can visibly see heat dissipating out of the scoop. is that all it does? sure. is it only a few degrees? sure. the only thing i've seen different is more hood shaking on the highway. if so much water came in the scoop that it would cause my issue, my engine wouldnt be caked in mud right now.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:06 PM   #35
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhodge83 View Post
water doesnt come up from the road surfaces or through that big hole in front of the engine...

i've had mine like this for years. you can visibly see heat dissipating out of the scoop. is that all it does? sure. is it only a few degrees? sure. the only thing i've seen different is more hood shaking on the highway. if so much water came in the scoop that it would cause my issue, my engine wouldnt be caked in mud right now.
And boom goes the dynamite
Old 03-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #36
Luder94 will become famous soon enoughLuder94 will become famous soon enough
Luder94's Tacoma Gallery
No worries with the open scoop....I've had a VERY vented hood on my car for close to 13 years and the engine hasn't disappeared as of yet:

Oh wait, yes it has:

Tacomas shouldn't have a problem. The engine comes with a cool plastic cover whereas my S2000's engine did not.

Open hood scoop should be of no issue. While moving, as mentioned earlier, it's a low pressure area so not much will be entering the scoop. While static, unless rain or snow is coming 'down sideways' or the truck is doing a major bro-lean, water won't roll up into the scoop.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:59 PM   #37
FFMast is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
Name: Sean
FFMast's Tacoma Gallery
Good write up for showing how to remove scoop, but opening it up I'm not sure about.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:19 PM   #38
NorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to beholdNorCalTRD is a splendid one to behold
NorCalTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Ignore the guys saying OMG DIRT GRIME AND RAIN!
I had a Subaru WRX with a functional hood intake and it never led to any issues.
Your engine is going to get the dirt and grime anyways from the front grill and undercarriage, I would do this mod to reduce engine bay temps.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:42 AM   #39
Dance Party Guru
Drakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to beholdDrakivnsf is a splendid one to behold

Drakivnsf's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah i agree, ignore the nay sayers. For those arguing about the open hood scoops being closed off to the airbox so water and grime doesnt get on your motor thats not always the case. My 1989 rx7 has an open hood scoop to the intercooler, where do you think everything goes beyond the intercooler? Case closed.

Old 05-04-2013, 11:24 PM   #40
HaoleBilt
elsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shedelsenordave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave Smith
elsenordave's Tacoma Gallery
Has anyone done this on the 2013?