Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

*write up* hood scoop removal and dis-assembly

Old 03-09-2013, 04:51 PM   #1
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: SSgt - A.G.E. Mechanic
Name: Jason
Detective_Dan's Tacoma Gallery
*write up* hood scoop removal and dis-assembly

there isnt a write up for this, as far as i know, so i snapped some pictures while i was taking mine apart.

there is no real benefit from doing this, other than maybe letting out a little engine heat while idling. i just couldnt justify having it plugged for no reason.

this will make your engine bay dirtier, but a clean engine bay is impossible in the desert anyways, and i dont offroad my xrunner hahaa.

I take no responsibility in any way if you mess up your hood or scoop or any other part of your vehicle. as far as i know, this mod is non-reversible and requires a new scoop insert if you dont like it.

this mod literally took only 10 minutes. it took me longer to find some hardware then it took to remove and re-install

pop the hood and remove the 5 -10mm nuts on the scoop

then remove the 1 hidden phillips head in the hole where i am pointing

once the scoop is removed, drill out the 3 plastic rivits. 2 on the top, one on the bottom. when they are drilled out, the plastic plug and mesh can be pulled out.

i didnt want to leave the scoop completely opened, so i found some small hardware and re-installed the screen as seen below

now just reverse the above steps to re-install and enjoy your finished product.

(i placed a flashlight in the engine bay to show the opening)

Old 03-09-2013, 06:23 PM   #2
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Think how nice it will be with rain, snow, girt and grime in your engine bay. Should be a good test on connector seals along with electrical connections.

Good Luck
Old 03-09-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
I don't know what to write here
12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed12DblCab is one of the sharper tools in the shed

12DblCab's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUZZCUT View Post
Think how nice it will be with rain, snow, girt and grime in your engine bay. Should be a good test on connector seals along with electrical connections.

Good Luck
LOL.

The only way I would do this to make the scoop appear functional would be if the hood was still sealed off from the elements, but I don't see how you could do that without building up a bunch of crud inside the scoop and visible from the outside. I think this mod is a no-go, but thanks for sharing.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
Canes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shedCanes58 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: EAOS 83'
Canes58's Tacoma Gallery
I like it. Don't have a skewp, but if I did, I would want it open. Back in the
70's, I opened up a Trans Am scoop. I cut a piece of foam and held it in place with either clothes hanger or welding rod, I don't remember which, but the foam never came out.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Bam-Ba-Lam
Detective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shedDetective_Dan is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:

Good Luck
Yea you're right. No car company in the history of car companies has ever made an open hood scoop or vent

heres just a taste.....

http://www.timelessrides.com/blog/to...ar-hood-scoops
Old 03-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #6
Bam-Ba-Lam

Anyways, for those of you that care, after driving downtown I parked in the garage as always and there is much more engine heat releasing from the hood than before.

Intake air temps are 2 degrees cooler under normal driving as well so there is a minor benefit from this. Very minor, but it's there
Old 03-09-2013, 09:41 PM   #8
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective_Dan View Post
................ this mod is non-reversible and requires a new scoop insert if you dont like it.
once the scoop is removed, drill out the 3 plastic rivits. 2 on the top, one on the bottom. when they are drilled out, the plastic plug and mesh can be pulled out.
i didnt want to leave the scoop completely opened, so i found some small hardware and re-installed the screen as seen below

Well, that's certainly thinkin' outside the box.
Interesting Mod that prompts a question that's been nagging me.
Way down on my "Mods To Do" list, is replacing my "skewp" mesh, to match my Satoshi Mesh.
If I follow your method, the plastic has to be removed by drilling the rivets, to remove the mesh and is Non-Reversible.
Could the plastic be reinstalled (after new mesh) with some small nuts & Bolts or pop rivets?
Just like you replaced the mesh, Therefore being reversible.

Thanks in advance
CC
Old 03-09-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Codder View Post
Well, that's certainly thinkin' outside the box.
Interesting Mod that prompts a question that's been nagging me.
Way down on my "Mods To Do" list, is replacing my "skewp" mesh, to match my Satoshi Mesh.
If I follow your method, the plastic has to be removed by drilling the rivets, to remove the mesh and is Non-Reversible.
Could the plastic be reinstalled (after new mesh) with some small nuts & Bolts or pop rivets?
Just like you replaced the mesh, Therefore being reversible.

Thanks in advance
CC

I suppose it probably could. You would just have to be careful with how you remove the pop rivets as to not damage the plastic plug
Old 03-09-2013, 10:07 PM   #11
Bam-Ba-Lam

no problem
Old 03-09-2013, 11:17 PM   #12
Benjamin Newman
Btnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBtnewman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Benjamin
Btnewman's Tacoma Gallery
Subbed.... gonna hide a light bar in mine. This will definately help!
Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #13
My drinking team has a wheeling problem
V5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shedV5ioV is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: V5ioV
V5ioV's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yea you're right. No car company in the history of car companies has ever made an open hood scoop or vent

heres just a taste.....

I like that you are making the scoop actually work, and nice write-up… but there is a good point that it may be do more harm than a benefit in the long run like some people point out…. The oldest cars in that list is from 1970's…not exactly cars that were very dependable on their wiring like cars now days…
you should hose your hood from different angles and then see the water flow under the hood and on the motor.
good luck keep us posted
Old 03-10-2013, 10:55 AM   #14
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Originally Posted by V5ioV View Post
not exactly cars that were very dependable on their wiring like cars now days…
You just said it yourself. Wiring in cars now is much more dependable than yester-year. Most plugs are water resistant and some are even waterproof.

I wash my engine and detail it all the time and I've done so on all my vehicles for years without an issue.

And as already stated, I live in the desert. It rains here only a handfull of times each year. My truck is garage kept and its an xrunner so it obviously doesn't get offroaded lol. For me, this makes sense. To others, maybe, maybe not
Old 03-10-2013, 03:56 PM   #15
BUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBUZZCUT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: KC-135A/R Crew Chief NKAWTG
BUZZCUT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

heres just a taste.....

Sorry dude but those are sealed to the air cleaner and not open to drain crap on the engine. I'm sorry to have upset you with my post. Gonna have to try harder than this lol.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #16
Bam-Ba-Lam

Quote:
Sorry dude but those are sealed to the air cleaner and not open to drain crap on the engine. I'm sorry to have upset you with my post. Gonna have to try harder than this lol.
You're not upsetting me dude. Even all dodge r/t models from 08-current have hood vents to allow heat to escape. I just washed the truck as well and only about 1/2 cup of water got in. Didnt even get on electrical components. Just sat on top of my supercharger. One quick wipe with a rag and it was gone.

Nobody is holding a gun to your head forcing you to do this to your truck, so move along
Old 03-11-2013, 06:44 AM   #18
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
I was planning to open the scewp on my truck as well but using a mechanical damper at the skewp intake and potentionometer motor wired to the throttle position sensor .
Gotta come up with a filter and a way to keep it closed when it rains possibly using an on/off switch when its wet .
In other posts , others have mentioned there would be no benefit so its nice to see although minimal , it may be worth the time . Subbed for now
I like the mod !!!
Old 03-20-2013, 12:42 AM   #19
NBBAZ is on a distinguished road
NBBAZ's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting idea. I was wondering about this, as well as putting extra hood vents to help keep the under hood temps down. For those that live in hot climates this could be beneficial. I used to have a cheap jerokee xj and hood vents were a popular mod to get the under hood temps down. Doing this mod plus adding some hood vents toward the back of the hood could work.

Someone mentioned other current autos have vents to let hot air out...seems true...look around at a lot of the performance cars and truck on the market.

Any benefit in performance etc...I don't know for sure. Thoughts?
Old 03-20-2013, 12:53 AM   #20
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Cool mod! I like the idea of adding additional airflow to the engine bay. Do people actually think water doesn't go in the engine bay when they drive in the rain?

I too have always been willing to take a hose to the engine bay and keep it moderately clean. I have never had any problems associated with this practice, and I can't see any negative by reducing the engine bay temp, even if it's minimal. The scoop is already there, I see no problem to this mod. Nice job!