Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ANY VINYL/PLASTIC SURGEONS IN THE HOUSE?

Old 03-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
lost then found
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chap
Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
ANY VINYL/PLASTIC SURGEONS IN THE HOUSE?

Anybody found some really neat way to repair the stock fender flares after running through the jungle? I found some pretty good scratches in mine and rather than just lettin it go....I was thinkin maybe a heat gun on low.....lacquer thinner stroked on lightly. Just anything to sorta melt the plastic back together and then rub some conditioner on 'em. Someone told me a long time ago...."its ok if you mess something up...IF you can be like a cat and hide/cover up your s____" Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #2
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to beholdbubba353z is a splendid one to behold

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
I'd leave them alone - chances are you'll make them worse by trying to "fix" them. Wear them as a badge of honor, or pony up the $ to replace them properly.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:17 PM   #3
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anybody found some really neat way to repair the stock fender flares after running through the jungle? I found some pretty good scratches in mine and rather than just lettin it go....I was thinkin maybe a heat gun on low.....lacquer thinner stroked on lightly. Just anything to sorta melt the plastic back together and then rub some conditioner on 'em. Someone told me a long time ago...."its ok if you mess something up...IF you can be like a cat and hide/cover up your s____" Thanks
lol we might have the same truck and same problems. Although mine might be a bit worse as it also covers the foglight area as well. Best I could come up with is to use the heat gun on the deeper scratches and take sand paper and tap it, not rub/scratch it, to blend it in. Not sure what to do with a bunch of light scratches.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
Bed liner spray.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
lost then found
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Name: Chap
Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Bubba, I shall heed to your advice. Though again I don't like the truth. clc, another trait that I have is that I am a tightwad. I won't spring for the new flares....I didn't even spring for the foglights! My wife was ashamed to have to roll up the windows....she wanted electric. dboz, I will experiment with the bedliner stuff. That may be an angle on. Thanks guys, I knew I could find WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING here. clc, one thing that I have invested in, is several cans of scotchgard for the bench seat. If you look at one spot too long, it will stain. :-}