Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

ANY VINYL/PLASTIC SURGEONS IN THE HOUSE?

Old 03-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
Apprehended by the TRUTH
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
ANY VINYL/PLASTIC SURGEONS IN THE HOUSE?

Anybody found some really neat way to repair the stock fender flares after running through the jungle? I found some pretty good scratches in mine and rather than just lettin it go....I was thinkin maybe a heat gun on low.....lacquer thinner stroked on lightly. Just anything to sorta melt the plastic back together and then rub some conditioner on 'em. Someone told me a long time ago...."its ok if you mess something up...IF you can be like a cat and hide/cover up your s____" Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 AM   #2
Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.
bubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shedbubba353z is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
bubba353z's Tacoma Gallery
I'd leave them alone - chances are you'll make them worse by trying to "fix" them. Wear them as a badge of honor, or pony up the $ to replace them properly.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:17 PM   #3
clc clc is on a distinguished road
Name: Paul
clc clc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Anybody found some really neat way to repair the stock fender flares after running through the jungle? I found some pretty good scratches in mine and rather than just lettin it go....I was thinkin maybe a heat gun on low.....lacquer thinner stroked on lightly. Just anything to sorta melt the plastic back together and then rub some conditioner on 'em. Someone told me a long time ago...."its ok if you mess something up...IF you can be like a cat and hide/cover up your s____" Thanks
lol we might have the same truck and same problems. Although mine might be a bit worse as it also covers the foglight area as well. Best I could come up with is to use the heat gun on the deeper scratches and take sand paper and tap it, not rub/scratch it, to blend it in. Not sure what to do with a bunch of light scratches.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
dboz is on a distinguished road
dboz's Tacoma Gallery
Bed liner spray.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #5
Apprehended by the TRUTH
Crawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of lightCrawdaddy is a glorious beacon of light

Crawdaddy's Tacoma Gallery
Bubba, I shall heed to your advice. Though again I don't like the truth. clc, another trait that I have is that I am a tightwad. I won't spring for the new flares....I didn't even spring for the foglights! My wife was ashamed to have to roll up the windows....she wanted electric. dboz, I will experiment with the bedliner stuff. That may be an angle on. Thanks guys, I knew I could find WISDOM, KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING here. clc, one thing that I have invested in, is several cans of scotchgard for the bench seat. If you look at one spot too long, it will stain. :-}