1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Deciding between Tacoma, 4Runner or even FJ

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by conleybfow, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:12 PM
    conleybfow

conleybfow [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hey all,

Posted this exact question on another forum but looking to gather as many thoughts/opinions/suggestions as I can on the matter:

Just looking for a little guidance. My job will have me moving across the country shortly into a region that gets its fair share of snow. In addition to this I will likely be starting a family soon and will need a little extra space than what my current vehicle can offer. I've settled on Toyotas because they are a perfect blend of reliability, affordability and efficiency. They aren't too hard on the eyes, either.

I am drawn to both 4Runners and Tacomas equally but I see a few pros/cons with each. 4Runners I enjoy because I simply like the SUV body style, it would likely fair better in the snow (doesn't have an ass end with no weight in it to go flying all over the place) and offers more seating capacity. On the end other Tacomas seem a bit more versatile, have a bed I can throw the dog/work gear/camping gear/etc into and seem like they would do better in off-road conditions, although I don't see myself doing any crazy wilderness trekking.

Please share with me your thoughts/experiences/suggestions/criticisms and point me in the right direction.

2. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM
    rickmeseke

rickmeseke subaru of america

Member:
    First Name:
    Ricky
    Brunswick, GA
    Vehicle:
    a white truck
    Tacomas have a bed, and what do you do in beds, have sex

3. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    acdronin

acdronin Well-Known Member

Member:
    One of our members recently sold his FJ when his wife had a baby and he bought a 4Runner, he's turning it into quite the capable machine and he's pretty happy with it.

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM
    double dee

double dee Well-Known Member

Member:
    Arizona
    go test drive them all. eliminate one then drive the 2 again and pick. FJ wont be a good family car as its only two doors and the back seat is small.

5. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:20 PM
    Monster Coma

Monster Coma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Pittsburgh, PA/Houston, TX
    Sponsored by Mom and Dad
    I have no problems with my 4x4 tacoma in the snow even with no weight in the bed

6. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:28 PM
    EatMyTacomaDust

EatMyTacomaDust Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 "Black Beauty" Baja DC 4x4
    ICON 3" LIFT, Console Vault, Tailgate Security Clamp MOD, SuperBumper Crash Attenuator, TRD Front Skid Plate, Wet Okoles - 1/2 Piped, Undercover SE Tonneau
    My Tacoma has handled well in the snow also, with no weight in the bed.

FJ: Very Cool, great in snow - Not enough room for family.

4 Runner: Very cool, great in snow - No Bed!

My Vote - Get a Double Cab Tacoma: Great in the snow, Can handle a family + you can get a long or short bed.

Good Luck

7. Mar 10, 2013 at 12:29 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    I'd say go with the Taco or 4Runner. FJ is cool, but not the most practical if you are planning to start a fam.

I'd say get a Taco DC 4x4 and put a shell on the back. Tons of lockable storage if needed and you would probably come out cheaper than the 4runner. Either is a good choice.

8. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:20 PM
    heavtritefoot

heavtritefoot Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    ken
    Courtice,Ontario
    Tacoma you get the bed for putting anything in the the back!

9. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:34 PM
    teneighty

teneighty I'd rather be skiing...

Member:
    Right behind you. NY
    Vehicle:
    18’ F150 SCREW LB 3.5 EcoBoost
    Bilstein 5100’s (x4), 275/65/20 Cooper XLT AT3’s
    Don't get an F-gay... Get the Tacoma (double cab long bed) for family and hauling crap! If you don't need the bed get the 4Runner! So nice but damn they are expensive!

RJ_MacReady likes this.
  10. Mar 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    aguabonita

aguabonita Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCSB OR 4x4 Pyrite Mica
    I'm in the same boat. Two kids (five and seven years old). Aging dog. Active lifestyle with camping, fishing, snowboarding, etc.

I/We have decided on a used Off Road TRD double cab, post 2008. What it finally came down to is which car on the road these days is most dependable and utilitarian. After many years of thinking and overthinking cars I have concluded that there really is no perfect vehicle. I figure this is about as close as I can get for now.

Ninja edit for spelling

11. Mar 10, 2013 at 3:45 PM
    Teniente

Teniente Well-Known Member

Member:
    Carson City, NV/Ensenada, Baja California, MX
    Vehicle:
    White 2006 SR5 DCSB 4x4
    My suggestion.......get a 4x4 DCSB Taco with a shell or cap. put the dog in the bed with a pad, blanket or crate......keeps the dog hair out of the cab. The DC is great with kids, and the Taco does well in snow.

I live near Reno and have not had any problems driving in snow. The Yellow Lab likes riding in the "way back" and the Minister of Finance likes not having dog hair on her clothes

12. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:03 PM
    CantSitStill

CantSitStill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    FTR
    CNY
    I've had all three. Skip the FJ and then decide if you want a truck or an SUV. 4Runner will cost a little more up front. I'd say either is a fine choice for snow.
    Let us know what you end up with.

13. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
    Sje1124

Sje1124 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 DBL Cab TRD OR 4x4
    Just a few
    I love my Tacoma but now that I have started a family and expecting another little one on the way I wish I would have gotten the 4Runner for more space.

14. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:22 PM
    Toy4me

Toy4me Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    NNJ
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB TRD Sport MGM
    Exactly! I did the same thing. With a nice cap on the taco, it looks like an suv. But, unlike the runner or fj, it still gives you the option of it being a truck if you need it.

15. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:25 PM
    Leggo

Leggo slow is smooth, and smooth is fast.

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Newton,Ma.
    Vehicle:
    10 TRD Sport AC 4x4 MGM
    Kenwood HU,Infinity Kappa speakers (x4), Infinity reference tweeters(x2),10" Kicker sub, Box by Subthump, Infinty Five channel amp,DVD anytime bypass, DTRL Mod, Xtang trifecta, Fogs anytime Mod, Bed Mat,Westin running boards, Console vault, Maglite mod, Weathertechs,Autopage remote starter, Power tailgate lock, HID Bi Zenon, Hella Supertones,Rain guards,Rear leaf TSB,Steering shaft TSB, Fisher Homesteader plow, 886 reverse lights mod, Redline Hood struts, Hankook Dynapro ATM LT265/70R17, power sliding rear window, Auto dimming/on anytime Bed lights, Blue Sea fuse panel & 100amp Breaker, de- badged,Rear headrest's removed, imMrYo mirror relocation,Homeroshi grill
    I have a car for the family, I need the bed of my truck to haul things around so I bought the Tacoma. FJ's are nice but not for me.:D

16. Mar 10, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Valsmere

Valsmere Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    EXPENSIVE
    tail gate lock, rear view mirror bracket, hood hinge brackets, and the list grows.
    I currently have an 2007 FJ TRD, it is really cool but not for a family. I ordered a Tacoma a few weeks ago and waiting for it to come in, but I wanted to go back to a truck. I have looked at and wouldn't mind haveing the 4 Runner but they are too pricey for my taste. Yet they can be a really capable off roader. As far as the Tacoma that depends on what you will be hauling around. Good Luck but they are all really good choices. Just remember YOU are writing the check and what are you going to be comfortable with?

17. Mar 10, 2013 at 5:16 PM
    dboz

dboz Well-Known Member

Member:
    Access Literider Tonneau, GO RHINO Dominator II side steps
    Kid seats in the Tacoma are tight. Check out the Ridgeline. Way better for your needs unless you need to tow.

18. Mar 10, 2013 at 5:29 PM
    hard2kill

hard2kill Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Rhinebeck NY
    Vehicle:
    06 4door trd sport white 6spd
    ...315's,2in bora wheel spacers,safari snorkel,wheel spacers,bruteforcefab rear bumper and sliders,afe filter,hi-lift jack,5100 with OME 886 & 1/2in spacer,allpro expo's,icon 10in rear shox,flip kit,ss brake lines,cobra cb,fog light mod,yellow fogs,weathertech mats,fullsize spare tire and extra sport rim,tinted windows,aeroturbine 2525 muffler dumped over axle...rear diff breather mod...removed factory spare...removed 2nd air filter...THULE roof rack and fairing....bud builts front to back,allpoo front bumper,BAMF lca skids,overland Offroad roof and bed racks,
    i have had a 4runner
    driven an fj
    and own a 4door 2nd gen tacoma
    ......all are good in snow and bad weather
    ......if you plan on a family or camping or travel for more then a weekend dont get an fj
    ......if you need a bed for tools,work,hauling your choice is obvious and i fit my 4yr old with a car seat and my 8yr old in a booster seat, my 55lbs pitbull and my fiance with no problem very comfortably however i would have got a 4runner if i had a second pickup for work at the time...they ride better have more room and can tow a trailer just as good as the tacoma and you can get a v8 in them and there amazing offroad with the same mods as the taco or fj...
    bottom line if you dont NEED the bed get a 4runner

19. Mar 10, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    RyanK1

RyanK1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Penticton, British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Bilstein 5100's @ 2.5, TSB rear with block spacer, Procomp ES9000's, CBI Moab 2.0 front bumper, swaybar removed, DIY HiLift mount, Rear diff breather mod, ABS Kill Switch, Flowmaster 40 series muffler, Superwinch 8500
    Maybe I'm bias because I have a DCLB, but with one young child and another on the way, the double cab has loads of room for the family. I would love an FJ someday but the lack of a bed would require me to get a trailer to haul the dirt bikes.

20. Mar 10, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    texasbub

texasbub Member

Member:
    No V8 in the 4 Runner....v6 only. You want a V8, gotta get the Lexus,

Products Discussed in

To Top