Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you consider the 2nd gen Tacoma a good first-time car?

Old 03-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #21
kryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkryten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kryten's Tacoma Gallery
There isn't anything wrong with a Tacoma as a first vehicle. Just about any vehicle is fine really imo.

That being said, I imagine you get lots of snow, so a 2wd rwd truck will not be the best in getting around but definitely doable. Good set of tires and maybe a 200lbs of sandbags or such will help a lot.

These little 2.7 in 2wd Tacos actually get very nice mileage. Not as good as a car obviously, but not bad at all. Sound like it can work for you down the road if you need to transport your motorcycle etc...

From reading on TW, it does seem like there is not a whole lot of lift options etc for 5 lug 2wd Tacomas, but there are still some.

Some links to get you started and for inspiration:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/5-l...re-thread.html

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...l-pick-up.html
Old 03-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #22
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
I'd say don't get discouraged about the low price until you've actually had a look-see at the truck. Do you have someone who knows what to look for to go check it out with you?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #23
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
If I where you I'd stop by that dealership and test drive it, see how you really like it. The 2.7 is a reliable engine, it gets ok mpg also. If you want a good little 2wd truck, then this one might be your stuff. If not then look for a car.

This also might inspire you:http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...le-thread.html
Old 03-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #24
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
If you're going to put a lift on, buy a 4x4 Tacoma. Don't lift a RWD. Especially since you guys get hammered with snow up there, you won't regret a 4x4.

The I4 seems to be a pretty tough engine, check out the mileage some guys have gotten out of theirs on this forum. Seen guys buy a 4x4 with 65k miles and now they have 200k + with no issues.

Just be sure you have the frame checked out for rust and have the truck gone over by a mechanic before you buy - fine 1st vehicle.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
Cgiroux is on a distinguished road
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
OK yeah I give up.

No freakin idea what car I'm going to end up with.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #26
Cgiroux is on a distinguished road
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
hmm.. well since KBB says $12,500 in excellent condition, i'm assuming that $9,970 is his bottom line price.

maybe ill check it out. it looks fairly clean, seen everything but the inside of the bed and the bottom of the truck. but i'm no mechanic.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
I say no.

Everyone's first vehicle should be a beater POS that breaks down once a month.