Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Would you consider the 2nd gen Tacoma a good first-time car?

Old 03-10-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Cgiroux is on a distinguished road
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
Would you consider the 2nd gen Tacoma a good first-time car?

Hey all.

Just stopping by seeing that this is what looks like the most active Tacoma forum I could find within the first page of my Google result.

Long story short, I'm 20 years old, reside in the suburbs of Chicago and am looking to buy my first vehicle.

At first, I never given any thought about buying a truck, but the used car market is dried out in my opinion. I came across a 2007 Tacoma with 51,000 miles on it. Automatic 2.7 l4, RWD. One owner. Looks pretty clean inside and out. Asking price of $9,970, which is a little steep for my budget, but I would try asking him down if I really wanted this vehicle.

I should mention that I have no intention on hauling or transporting anything really. For the most part, I just need a vehicle that will get me to school, work, and the gym on a regular basis. With that said, I know a truck might not be the most practical option, but the 2.7 L can't be too painful to fill up.

What are your thoughts on this car? Would it make a good first car? Is it well documented? Anything I should know about?

Thanks!
Old 03-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #2
akhermit is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service
Name: Steve
akhermit's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds more like you need a small car than a truck. That price actually sounds too good to be true.

The Tacoma is a great truck, but based on your needs, I would recommend a small car.

There is the want factor. If you want a truck, then needs go out the window, and you get want you want.

I got the Tacoma because I do occasional hauling, it fits in my garage, has great longevity ratings, looks awesome, and I WANTED it.
Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
TL;DR, but a tacoma is a great starter truck. My ex gf was driving mine for a few months, and she found it very easy to drive. She had spent a bit of time in a Titan, and she found the tacoma much more managable.

Just don't put ricer shit on it.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #4
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kevin
92dlxman's Tacoma Gallery
they are good little trucks. at that price im guessing its a 5 lug 2wd. i see them all the time as commercial get-arounds for companies that have to haul small stuff so you know they rack up a ton of miles.

it will never give you the comfort or fuel mileage of a mid size or compact car, but you will enjoy it. its nice to have the bed-space just in case. i moved a ton of times between the ages of 18-21 and having a truck was awesome for that. keep that in mind if your just starting out with renting/buying or whatever as it took me a bit to get "settled in" to a place.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
edit - yea, it's 2WD 5 lug

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhermit View Post
Sounds more like you need a small car than a truck. That price actually sounds too good to be true.

The Tacoma is a great truck, but based on your needs, I would recommend a small car.

There is the want factor. If you want a truck, then needs go out the window, and you get want you want.
That's what I keep telling myself. I practically can get away with any small commuter car, but the last thing I want is a boring Corolla, Civic, Altima, etc. I guess wants trump needs in the end. The Tacoma looks like a fun car though

As for pricing goes, I really have no idea. This is the only Tacoma I could find under $10,000 with a decent amount of millage.

The used car market is very frustrating. I can't even find an Accord with less than 70,000 miles under $10,000.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
drinking whats on sale
92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed92dlxman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgiroux View Post
edit - yea, it's 2WD 5 lug

That's what I keep telling myself. I practically can get away with any small commuter car, but the last thing I want is a boring Corolla, Civic, Altima, etc. I guess wants trump needs in the end. The Tacoma looks like a fun car though

As for pricing goes, I really have no idea. This is the only Tacoma I could find under $10,000 with a decent amount of millage.

The used car market is very frustrating. I can't even find an Accord with less than 70,000 miles under $10,000.
i feel your pain with the car thing. i've been looking for something similar to replace my focus. the pricing is crazy but they are all supposedly nice cars
Old 03-10-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
I'm tempted to look into it now. I got my class M license a while back and still hope to buy a motorcycle in the future, so a little 4 cyl truck could be beneficial. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post

I like this look.

can't be too far from stock? Lift it a tiny bit, some new wheels/tires and it already looks tasteful IMO.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
akhermit is on a distinguished road

Army: Prior Service
Name: Steve
akhermit's Tacoma Gallery
OP, sounds like you have already made up your mind. I hope you get the truck you want, keep looking until you get a deal that you are comfortable with.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
drinking whats on sale

Quote:
can't be too far from stock? Lift it a tiny bit, some new wheels/tires and it already looks tasteful IMO.
yea. . . . . .gears, control arms, springs, shocks, mounts, maybe a new clutch to turn it all. . . . they get expensive when you try and lift them. im finding this out right now lol
Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #10
I am the one who knocks
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

That has long travel up front and fiberglass fenders front and rear. However you can have a tough look without those things.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 92dlxman View Post
yea. . . . . .gears, control arms, springs, shocks, mounts, maybe a new clutch to turn it all. . . . they get expensive when you try and lift them. im finding this out right now lol
shhh
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #12
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan
Conman117's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I'm tempted to look into it now. I got my class M license a while back and still hope to buy a motorcycle in the future, so a little 4 cyl truck could be beneficial. I don't want to get ahead of myself.

I like this look.

If I'm seeing what I think I see, it's very far from stock.
It has flared fibreglass fenders for sure and if those are tie-rod extenders, then it has a front long travel kit. With what looks like tube lower control arms.
Maybe flared bedsides too, it's hard to tell.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:40 PM   #13
AWESOME MEMBER
Conman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shedConman117 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
That has long travel up front and fiberglass fenders front and rear. However you can have a tough look without those things.
Beat me to it
Old 03-10-2013, 02:42 PM   #14
I am the one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman117 View Post
Beat me
What?
Old 03-10-2013, 02:44 PM   #15
2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed2004TacomaSR5 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
2004TacomaSR5's Tacoma Gallery
9k for a 2007? There is either something really wrong with it or it really is too good to be true.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #16
AWESOME MEMBER

Quote:
What?
You beat me to saying it has LT. you posted while I was typing. I changed it to sound better
Old 03-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #17
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Signature. You can stay.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #18
I am the one who knocks

Hahaha I see, I was so confused there :|
Old 03-10-2013, 02:51 PM   #19
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Just remember OP that pickups don't handle like cars on slick roads. You're in Chicago so you'll want to have some weight over the rear axle and be used to the truck before driving on snow/ice.
Old 03-10-2013, 02:52 PM   #20
Cgiroux's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011TacomaSR5 View Post
9k for a 2007? There is either something really wrong with it or it really is too good to be true.
I have no idea. Like I said, it looks clean. I've never seen it in person, though. Pictures don't do any justice.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...nal&listType=1

Even KBB suggests $12,500. Guess I have the benefit of the doubt. If it's too good to be true, probably is. :/