1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OK to Suck?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by vtdog, Mar 10, 2013.

1. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:33 PM
    vtdog

vtdog [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    I have a vaccum pump oil extractor that I have used for years on small engines. My experience with the small engines has been good and I suspect that I get out about 95%+ of the old oil. It has a long tube designed for removing oil using the dipstick opening and actually is designed to use for vehilces, but I have never done that. I also do not know what people think about making the change that way.

I am curious to see what the "experts" here think about using the oil vac. instead of the drain plug to remove the used oil.

2. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM
    Spoonman

Spoonman Granite Guru

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Alberta
    Why not use the drain? I haven't removed the oil pan from my V6, so I'm not sure if the dipstick leads to the deepest part of the pan. But I would recommend using the drain plug. It's easy and clean.

3. Mar 10, 2013 at 1:55 PM
    bubba353z

bubba353z Titles? We don't need no stinkin' titles.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Columbus, Oh
    Vehicle:
    Former owner of a 12 TRD Sport AC 4x4
    I've heard that Mercedes uses it - but I'd rather pull the plug to make sure all of the accumulated crap drains out with the oil.

4. Mar 10, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    teamfast

teamfast Get busy living, or get busy dying.

Member:
    Winnipeg, Manitoba
    Vehicle:
    '10 DCLB
    BFG AT TKO2s 34 x 10.5 x17, Leer 550 Tonneau cover, weather tech digi fit liners, Viper 5901 remote start/security, 2" fr spacer, 3" TC AAL, All Pro IFS skid plate, Trans skid plate & Transfer Case skid plate, 12" roof mounted flip down dvd player, In channel vent visors.
    Why not for use the vacuum pump and then pull the drain bolt to see how much you missed. If its negligible then you know for sure.

5. Mar 10, 2013 at 3:23 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Use the drain, if ya want to be a little more anal to get some more used oil out of the engine dump another half quart of fresh oil down the filler neck and let it drain out after the used oil is about gone.

Thanks

Brett

6. Mar 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Just put a Fumoto drain valve on it.

Vacuum pumps are in their element on boats where you can't get a drain pan under the sump, and for some 10-minute lube & oil places.

7. Feb 1, 2015 at 2:56 PM
    Steves104x4

Steves104x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Buffalo NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 RC 2.7 4x4
    BUCKLE UP! It makes it harder for Aliens to pull you out of your Truck.
    Drain oil for an hour or so and change the oil and filter. In a week change just the filter for a second time. Keep an eye on the oil as you plan the next change based on what you see.

8. Feb 2, 2015 at 7:28 AM
    Lester Lugnut

Lester Lugnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    N of Mex-S of Canada-E of LA-W of NC
    Vehicle:
    '15 Tacoma PreRunner V6 SR5 Auto
    If you wish to know how a "top-sider" will work on your Tacoma, use one; then get underneath and see how much is left - pull engine pan drain plug.

Some older Mercedes-Benz cars had the oil filter on top of the engine - similar to the 2nd Gen Tacoma 4.0L. Back when, someone decided that they could quickly turn key the whole process buy simply sucking the oil out the top while changing the filter. The whole thing takes maybe 10 mins. I have one of those older MBs.

Good "top-siders" come with 3 different size tubes that go down into the oil/transmission tubes. Some people will say you can also use one of these to drain differentials w/o a drain plug. I wouldn't do that. The "top-sider" tubes are hard plastic and can only flex so much. If you have a differential with no drain plug I would use a large suction gun with a flexible plastic or rubber hose.

They're also good for siphoning power steering and brake fluid + getting oil out of lawn equipment.

9. Feb 2, 2015 at 8:19 AM
    nd4spdbh

nd4spdbh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    13 DCSB TRD OR v6 Auto
    I wouldnt do it. Take the time to drain it out the bottom to get all of the sediment.

Lets put it this way, on my boat the manual has a suck tube length of 18.7inches long from the top of the dipstick tube to proper suck out the oil from the pan..... no such measurement on the tacomas.

And hell like others have stated its a good time to get under the truck and look around. I bring my grease gun with me, pull the drain plug bolt. Let the oil drain for the next 5 min or so while i grease the zerk fittings on the front and rear driveshafts... then put the plug back in.

Products Discussed in

To Top