Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Keyless entry keypad?

Old 02-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #21
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Evan
Hardcorehehaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by trdracing5 View Post
I used to have an Explorer with the keypad. It was a really good feature. Even though I had a keyless entry remote I found myself using the key pad more than the keyless entry remote.
Me too, which is why I had to have this.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:21 PM   #22
bass turds
Veccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shedVeccster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
Veccster's Tacoma Gallery
I am all ears for your review. When I decided I wanted a truck, I looked at the F150's mostly because it had keyless entry. Then I smartened up
I like to camp, hick, ride dirtbikes, etc. I would not use it EVERY TIME but would definitely like to use it on occasion.

I probably would be discrete about entering the pin...but I would take that sacrafice. I ALWAYS cover my hand when entering my PIN at the ATM. It doesn't bother me and I am eliminating the risk.

It is definitely safer than hiding the key in my gas door like I usually do!
Old 03-01-2009, 08:05 PM   #23
1 man wolf pack
Hardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shedHardcorehehaw is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
The Keypad arrived yesterday and I installed it today. It works great and I love it!
Here's a link to my review:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/pro...tml#post435299

If there is enough interest in it I can also do an installation guide with pics.
Old 03-01-2009, 08:41 PM   #24
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Why not just find a recently junked Ford and rip the keypad and wiring off it??? Then throw it on the Tacoma....I mean it's not gonna be easy to do but it'll be literally the same as Ford's keyless entry pad. Just a thought.

Just my .02 but I love the pad, it's great to actually have the ability to throw your keys in say the glove box and lock the car then come back, hop in, and never have to worry about losing your keys again. Greatest piece of car tech made in my short (in a long time to be long) life. I seriously miss it when I'm not driving the Exped. (it's really good when you are washing the thing and just throw everything in there, lock it and come back for it when you're done washing it)

But yea, see what it would take to do my idea...that would be awesome to do!
Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 AM   #25
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacoholic View Post
Why not just find a recently junked Ford and rip the keypad and wiring off it??? Then throw it on the Tacoma....I mean it's not gonna be easy to do but it'll be literally the same as Ford's keyless entry pad. Just a thought.
I believe the keypads on the Ford's are hardwired which would require drilling and running wires to the keypad itself.
When my battery died on my F-150, I went to the keypad to enter my code and it did not work. Obviously the power locks wouldn't work anyway, but normally the keypad lights up when you push a button and it didn't that time. So I'm assuming it gets its power from the vehicle's battery.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:26 PM   #26
09 but I drive a 012 Expedition...
tacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacoholic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff...I'm pretty sure
tacoholic's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to tacoholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcorehehaw View Post
I believe the keypads on the Ford's are hardwired which would require drilling and running wires to the keypad itself.
When my battery died on my F-150, I went to the keypad to enter my code and it did not work. Obviously the power locks wouldn't work anyway, but normally the keypad lights up when you push a button and it didn't that time. So I'm assuming it gets its power from the vehicle's battery.
I would assume but look on the bright side, if you spend the time hard wiring it in then you get a better thing in the end. You can always take one form an 05 Expedition and cut holes in the door itself to mount the buttons in form behind which would look great IMO. But the work might outweigh the outcome unless you're gonna have teh truck for 12 year and use it every single day.
Still a cool mod though. Maybe a shop would do it for you?
Old 03-03-2009, 01:47 PM   #27
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
My sisters escape didn't come with one so she bought one off Ebay that works off the vehicles remote. Punch in the code and it sends the signal via wireless entry to open it. No wiring required.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:08 PM   #28
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
The OEM Ford ones that you see on eBay only work with Ford vehicles. They utilize the factory keyless entry system where as the one I bought is universal and has it's own separate receiver.
Old 03-03-2009, 03:22 PM   #30
ballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant futureballon78 has a brilliant future
ballon78's Tacoma Gallery
how about mounting it , in he bed in one of the compartments as a back up if you lock your keys in or, say go surfing, or somewhere where u dont want to carry keys. Nobody would know that it was there!!
Old 03-03-2009, 03:36 PM   #31
1 man wolf pack

Firefighter:
The bed compartments will work great, however I'm getting a locking tonneau cover so that's not an option for me. I did take some pics of it mounted in the different compartments and will post it up on the review page as soon as I can log back into my photbucket account. I got locked out for entering the wrong password too many times. Damn all these internet sites! I really do try to keep them all the same password but it never works out that way.