Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

7 pin Connector broken, what to do?

Old 03-10-2013, 04:30 PM   #1
ImWarren is on a distinguished road

Name: Warren
ImWarren's Tacoma Gallery
7 pin Connector broken, what to do?

Hey guys, I broke my 7 pin connector today climbing a hill. It was not a very tall hill, but it was kinda steep. There were rocks at the bottom and when I got up it, my rear end hit the rock and it destroyed the connector. The only part left is the dangling wire. I am very upset about this because the truck is not even 2 weeks old. What should I do? Will it get replaced under warranty? Should I take it to the dealership? Or should I order another off line? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
7 pin Connector broken, what to do?-img_0012.jpg   7 pin Connector broken, what to do?-img_0013.jpg   7 pin Connector broken, what to do?-img_0016.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 04:41 PM   #2
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
Dealership wont warranty damage that you caused.

Just go to an auto parts store and buy a new one. The package will explain which wires go where.

White - Ground
Blue - Electric Brakes
Yellow - Left Signal
Red - Right Signal
Black - Power
Red - 12v
Brown - Running lights
Old 03-10-2013, 04:44 PM   #3
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleMoose View Post
Dealership wont warranty damage that you caused.

Just go to an auto parts store and buy a new one. The package will explain which wires go where.

White - Ground
Blue - Electric Brakes
Yellow - Left Signal
Red - Right Signal
Black - Power
Red - 12v
Brown - Running lights
This^^^

Don't even think about replacing it with one from a stealership unless you like to throw away money. I picked one up from NAPA for a few bucks and mounted it through the bumper. Or you can try to find one in a local junkyard.

Edit- Here's a couple threads about mounting it differently-

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post4269027

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...r-harness.html
Old 03-10-2013, 04:53 PM   #4

Should I get an aftermarket one or an OEM? I need the mounting bracket as well because mine is bent.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #5
Drunk Canadian
MapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedMapleMoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ian
MapleMoose's Tacoma Gallery
I dont think Toyota makes the trailer connector. They just buy from the manufacturer and mark it up Toyota style
Old 03-10-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
"Rumors of Bob, but never Bob. It is Bob, right?"
Bobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shedBobbb is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bob
Bobbb's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImWarren View Post
Should I get an aftermarket one or and OEM? I need the mounting bracket as well because mine is bent.
You can check the Buy/Sell threads to see if anyone's ditching their OEM bracket. Lots of folks peddle the bumper after switching to armor.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #7
KalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shedKalamaKid is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Navy: Electrician
Name: Jason
KalamaKid's Tacoma Gallery
I cut one off a jeep and bolted it to my bumper. Used the jeep mounting bracket as well. Just get something cheap from NAPA and splice it in. Bobbb's links have good ideas.
Old 03-10-2013, 04:57 PM   #8
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Dude I know the feeling, I done the same thing on my 2012 not too long ago. I was kind of lucky though. I just broke the weld holding it to the frame and everything else was still in tact.

Do what the other guy said, go to Autozone or any regular parts house and pick you up a new 7 pin plug and wire it up. I can also tell ya that your existing wiring runs up to right behind the bumper in the center and has a white plug, un plug it right there and make it easy on your self to connect the new plug.

Since my plug was still in tact I didn't need to do the new wiring and stuff I just needed a way to mount it so it wasn't hanging under the truck. I used this write up here to help me out.
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/61...ml#post1652523

In this thread they talk about the different ways to mount the plug. I didn't like loosing the plate light so I opted to drill the 2 inch hole. I was TRYING to take my stock plug apart like that thread talked about but it was stubborn and I found it MUCH easier just to unplug the whole thing from behind the bumper like I told ya about before. Drill ya hole, and mount your new plug between the plate light and plate. This way it is up and out of the way and ya aint gotta worry with breaking it again, and it still looks really clean too! Good luck with your fix!
Old 03-10-2013, 05:12 PM   #9
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Should I get an aftermarket one or an OEM? I need the mounting bracket as well because mine is bent.
Two options:

Remove one of the two license plate lights, dremel out the hole to fit the 7-pin connector. This gives the most ground clearance.

Buy the OE bracket online at a cheaper price than the dealer, somewhere like Toyotapartsales.com . It's possible to mount the bracket at 90 deg orientation (so the outlet points down). This gives it extra clearance.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:48 PM   #10

Thanks for all the advice. I just went to take another look at it and it turns out that the bracket is bent up under the truck.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #11

Here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
7 pin Connector broken, what to do?-img_0010.jpg   7 pin Connector broken, what to do?-img_0006.jpg  
Old 03-10-2013, 06:09 PM   #12
frog
jamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shedjamtoz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: James
jamtoz's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Two options:

Remove one of the two license plate lights, dremel out the hole to fit the 7-pin connector. This gives the most ground clearance.
i did this^ easy and cheap
Old 03-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
MudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to beholdMudFlap is a splendid one to behold

Name: Tim
MudFlap's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Here are some pictures
Yeah it looks like ya mangled it up pretty good. I would get a new plug from walmart or autozone and drill the holes needed to mount it to the bumper just to the left of the license plate. This IMO is the cleanest way to keep your plug and to keep it from getting mangled again.

If you decide to go this route don't be afraid to shoot me a pm with questions, I'm always willing to help.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudFlap View Post
Yeah it looks like ya mangled it up pretty good. I would get a new plug from walmart or autozone and drill the holes needed to mount it to the bumper just to the left of the license plate. This IMO is the cleanest way to keep your plug and to keep it from getting mangled again.

If you decide to go this route don't be afraid to shoot me a pm with questions, I'm always willing to help.
Thanks man, I really appreciate it. The people on this site are so helpful. I think the plug is still good but the casing is broken. Any idea where I can get a new plug cover and wire casing?
Old 03-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
I gotta say, your differential and inner rims are so clean, you can eat off of them.

Let us know what you spend on a new plug.