Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mods that void warranty. Worth it?

View Poll Results: Is voiding your warrenty worth a MOD?
YES 59 31.72%
NO 128 68.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2009, 11:16 AM   #21
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
So that would make the Poll void?
Yes, it would. It's not a valid question so any poll based off of it wouldn't mean anything. The entire premise of the poll question is flawed.
Old 02-12-2009, 12:47 PM   #22
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
30HP,I'm interested.
On another Tacoma forum,a TRD CAI with SC showed 15HP on a dyno.
I've seen trucks dyno 260-275rwhp with the blower, and adding a CAI will put it up around 300rwhp. When that blower is trying to suck in all that extra air, the smoother the intake path is, the more power its gonna make.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:05 PM   #23
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=BrunesDoesTRD;391944]A lease is a different situation-It's not your vechicle at that point so modding it out isn't a good idea and may have violated your LEASE agreement- but it did NOT void anything unless it caused a failure.

i had which we thought was a trans problem(turned out to be the rear) since the truck was new.a year later i lifted it and they blamed the lift. they said i was on my own.
my friends dodge trans blew up after 1500 miles(he lifted it the first week he had it) once again the dealer wouldnt fix the trans and he paid the 1800 for the trans himself.

the dealers suck anyway.they will screw you whenver and however they can...those bastards.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #24
Taco Traitor!
TRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to beholdTRD4x4858 is a splendid one to behold

TRD4x4858's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to TRD4x4858
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
Putting ANY mods on your vehicle will NOT void the warranty. Warranty work can only be denied by the dealership.. No voiding.. just denied/expired.

A dealership cannot legally deny warranty because of any aftermarket part, unless they can prove without doubt that said aftermarket part was the root cause of the problem for the part being questioned under warranty.

Dealerships will lie to you all day to save them some money. You got to stand up to them, and make them work.

IE
I have a good amount of performance mods on my truck. About a year ago, my clutch blew out on me. I took my truck in with all the mods on it (including s/c, i/h/e). They didn't even try to tell me no because of mods. They saw that the clutch was a wear-item, so they attempted to deny me because of abuse. 15k miles, a clutch doesn't 'wear-out' unless you can't drive a stick (which I've been doing since 17). Lucky for me the Toyota Regional Rep was in town that day. I told them to look at the clutch/flywheel and prove to me it was because of abuse... They couldn't.. catastrophic failure. I got new clutch, flywheel, and transmission all covered under warranty. They even move over my B&M short throw shifter from the old trans to the new without questions...

...so in short.. make them work!

I was the technician responsible for getting a guys Neon SRT warranty voided, he had a manual boost controller. pictures were taken, chrysler was contacted and boom, no more powertrain warranty. So yeah your warranty can be denied.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:31 PM   #25
IlovethePinkTacos is on a distinguished road
IlovethePinkTacos's Tacoma Gallery
What I have learned in the past if you bring up any mention of the Magnuson-Moss act and if the dealership gives you crap....just say well im going to have to ask my lawyer about this. It has worked for me twice (on my previously owned Jeeps) They (the dealers) shut up after that... That being said, will never own a jeep again....aka junk, stands for Just Empty Ever Pocket.

I agree a Toyota will well out live the warranty if you love your truck (and dont jump it HA)
Old 03-06-2009, 03:12 AM   #26
jmo is on a distinguished road
Marines: veteren
jmo's Tacoma Gallery
I just had Toyota yesterday install my CAI and TRD exhaust and they said none of wich will do anything to my warraty. FYI
Old 03-06-2009, 02:10 PM   #27
gtz85350 is on a distinguished road
gtz85350's Tacoma Gallery
so silverback07, you were able to return the extended warranty??
Old 03-06-2009, 03:50 PM   #28
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
I am not silverback, but reading the terms of the 7 year/100k platinum warranty I purchased, you can return it. If you haven't hit the 36k mark, you get a full refund...otherwise, as silverback said, they prorate it. Likewise, if you go the full mileage without using the warranty, they will refund the money.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:01 AM   #29
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
I am not silverback, but reading the terms of the 7 year/100k platinum warranty I purchased, you can return it. If you haven't hit the 36k mark, you get a full refund...otherwise, as silverback said, they prorate it. Likewise, if you go the full mileage without using the warranty, they will refund the money.

I believe you won't get a full refund unless it's in the first 30 days.
I had a 7/100 on an '07 Camry that cost $880 I bought from Troy Dietrich.A bad damage deer hit caused me to get rid of the car before the 3/36.
I cancelled the warranty and recieved about $720.Paperwork costs is what I was told.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:44 AM   #30
2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice2009tacomav6 is just really nice
Navy:
2009tacomav6's Tacoma Gallery
I would agree that warranty concerns are valid as it can always be a pain in the a$$ to deal with the service folks at the dealer... I have limited my mods to TRD parts and am looking at bracnhing out to non TRD now.. If you want power check out this TRD part I added that is covered under my factory warranty

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/per...tacoma-dc.html

They have a lot of nice parts
Old 03-07-2009, 11:10 AM   #31
whitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhitebread is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
whitebread's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
I believe you won't get a full refund unless it's in the first 30 days.
I had a 7/100 on an '07 Camry that cost $880 I bought from Troy Dietrich.A bad damage deer hit caused me to get rid of the car before the 3/36.
I cancelled the warranty and recieved about $720.Paperwork costs is what I was told.

Maybe we have different warranties. Mine is issued by Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. It is a 100k mile, 7 year, $0 deductible, "Platinum" warranty. It includes something called "Purchase Price Refund," where it states
Quote:
Upon expiration of this Service Contract, if YOU have not had a claim under this Service Contract, do not have a claim pending payment, and if YOU follow the steps outlined below, the purchase price of YOUR Service Contract up to a Maximum of $2500 will be refunded to YOU, less a $50 administration fee.
The "steps below" are things like a signed odometer statement, writen request, sales contract, etc.
Old 03-07-2009, 12:00 PM   #32
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitebread View Post
Maybe we have different warranties. Mine is issued by Fidelity Warranty Services, Inc. It is a 100k mile, 7 year, $0 deductible, "Platinum" warranty. It includes something called "Purchase Price Refund," where it states

The "steps below" are things like a signed odometer statement, writen request, sales contract, etc.

We do.
I was talking Toyota Platimum warranty.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:03 PM   #33
Lieutenant Dan.
DeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDeeKay21 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lieutenant
DeeKay21's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Well I've put a lot of mods into my truck. Don't know if I've voided the warranty but at this point I don't care. I even bought the extended warranty but it might be worthless for all I know. I just hope that if something should happen that its still under warranty, but if not, I figure its an opportunity to upgrade the part that failed.
X2 on this one. I also have the extended warranty but I'm not going to wait until it expires! I've already done a sh-- load to my truck so oh well!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 08:19 AM   #34
kngharley is on a distinguished road

kngharley's Tacoma Gallery
Waiting for mine to run out so I can lift it!!
Old 05-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #35
Tacoma Tom is on a distinguished road
Tacoma Tom's Tacoma Gallery
For those of you who posted a bold....."no such thing as voiding warranty"....... WRONG. You read posts all the time saying the dealership denied fixing it under warranty because this was added, that was installed bla bla bla. Its not just Toyota, you see it across the board. It not up to them to prove your add-on caused the problem, its up to you to prove it didnt. Its a risk, its personal choice if you want to take that risk or not.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:13 PM   #36
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Tom View Post
For those of you who posted a bold....."no such thing as voiding warranty"....... WRONG. You read posts all the time saying the dealership denied fixing it under warranty because this was added, that was installed bla bla bla. Its not just Toyota, you see it across the board. It not up to them to prove your add-on caused the problem, its up to you to prove it didnt. Its a risk, its personal choice if you want to take that risk or not.
I recommend you put on your level 5 flame suit...

Yes...Mods CAN void warranty coverage for certain parts but 1) The warranty is not void if you mods the truck...The coverage for specific parts may not be intact but the warranty still applies. Also, the onus IS on the dealership to prove the mods caused the damage. Example: If you lift your truck and the ECU shits the bed inside the warranty period....Guess what...They have to replace the ECU because there is no way the ECU can be damaged from a lift...It might be a bit semantics.

You can void coverage for parts/systems by doing mods and then have damage happen...but it's not automatic. You see those threads all the time all over the place because folks who are not educated about the laws that govern warranties let the dealership tell them that and then come on the internet and bitch about it...
Old 05-02-2009, 05:47 PM   #37
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma Tom View Post
Yeah, you're just wrong. The Magnuson-Moss Federal Warranty Act CLEARLY states that it is up to the manufacturer to prove that something you did caused the failure, not on you. So, you're as wrong as wrong can be and there's really no point in debating it.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

Quote:
With regard to aftermarket parts, the spirit of the law is that warranty coverage cannot be denied simply because such parts are present on the vehicle, or have been used. The warranty coverage can be denied only if the aftermarket part caused the malfunction or damage for which warranty coverage is sought.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #38
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
Yeah, you're just wrong. The Magnuson-Moss Federal Warranty Act CLEARLY states that it is up to the manufacturer to prove that something you did caused the failure, not on you. So, you're as wrong as wrong can be and there's really no point in debating it.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=60128

I think we all know my stance on these threads, but here it is for those that dont

THERE IS NO MODIFICATION THAT VOIDS YOUR ENTIRE WARRANTY
Old 05-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #39
Kylie's dad

^I'm sorry, I'm hearing impaired. Can you repeat that?

Old 05-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #40
Tacoma Tom is on a distinguished road
Tacoma Tom's Tacoma Gallery
I'm just saying its well documented to what some people have had to go through with the dealership regarding denied warranty service due to aftermarket parts (I didn't say it would the entire warranty). I'm well aware of the Magnuson Act and what it says, unfortunately not every dealership honors it. Sometimes sending a threat to the dealership works, sometimes its off to court. I have had to do it once, it was a lot of work to gather information to take into court. I won, but it's not as easy as you would think.