1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Mods that void warranty. Worth it?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bsaint21, Feb 11, 2009.

?

Is voiding your warrenty worth a MOD?

1. YES

31.1%
  2. NO

69.5%
  1. Feb 11, 2009 at 5:04 PM
    Bsaint21

Bsaint21 [OP] Veteran Member

Member:
    Texarkana TX
    Vehicle:
    07 prerunner sr5 v6 4.0
    4 inch lift. Chrome grill package, 17" Chrome Plated Rims, 32 " Mickey Thompson Wheels, Westin Signature Chrome Side Step Bars, AEM Brute Force Cool Air Intake, Helix Power Tower Throttle Body Spacer, UGA Bulldog front floormats, Toyota Front Aluminum Skid Plate, Toyota Logo Bed Mat.
    I have a 2007 Tacoma. I love my truck to death, and I want so badly to modify it little by little to the way I eventually want it to be. And I see everyone else around me especially in the site, modifying their Tacoma's. But I have 5 years left on my warrenty and dont want to lose it so easily over something that I dont need. But Im a guy... WHat do you guys think?:confused: This applies to ENGINE and EXHAUST MODS ONLY.

BEN

2. Feb 11, 2009 at 5:08 PM
    squad314

squad314 Thinks he's Steve McQueen

Member:
    First Name:
    Marc
    Into the mystic....(foggy Saint John, NB)
    Vehicle:
    2018 TrD Sport Upgrade
    "Hello Kitty" steering wheel cover.
    Great question Ben.....I'm curious to see exactly what mods will void the warranty.

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 5:09 PM
    Delmarva

Delmarva Mayor of TW

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 4runner Limited Looking for a Taco
    It's the wife's T4R so it's stock
    Look up the Magnuson-Moss act -- if something fails, the burden of proof lies with the dealership to prove that the aftermarket part you put on your truck caused the failure.

It helps to print a copy of the act out and keep it in your truck just in case... :thumbsup:

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    JC870

JC870 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner SR5 TRD Sport Longbed
    Blitz Safe aux. audio input
    ^^^ same here

Good to know!

5. Feb 11, 2009 at 5:10 PM
    The_Hodge

The_Hodge Volunteer Moderator

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    15 Lariat Sport 5.0L
    Seeing the third gen section forced me to get a Ford...
    if u do a suspension mod and it directly contributes to wear and tear on balljoints, then that wont be covered....but its not gonna void ur engine warranty or electrical stuff....see what i mean? it will only void the warranty on a stock piece if it fails from direct result of ur mod

6. Feb 11, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    mudduck

mudduck Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.

Member:
    the bluegrass state
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport
    black painted wheels, tinted windows, sockmonkey decals
    if your only doing bold on mods, keep the stock parts and put them back on if something bad happens.

7. Feb 11, 2009 at 7:49 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    Its a Toyota. That warranty will collect more dust than your truck in the next 5 years! Enjoy that truck. :) (just my 2 cents)

8. Feb 11, 2009 at 7:55 PM
    AK27

AK27 Well-Known Member

Member:
    i said yes since i'm out of warranty now :p

9. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:08 PM
    higherlux

higherlux Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    middle of S.C.
    Vehicle:
    1998 tacoma 2.7l 4wd/1986 POS
    Mall crawler status
    do the mod after ur warrenty is over

10. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I voted no- Because if you do the mods correctly with the quality/correct parts- You won't.

The Moss-Mag Act got discussed already- It's YOUR truck...NO reason to wait around for the warranty to expire or whatever. GO FOR IT- Just make sure you are doing the work with the right pieces.

Good luck!!

11. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:39 PM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    I also voted no. Quality aftermarket parts that are properly designed for your truck will not void your warranty. If the parts will void your warranty, they probably should not be on your truck in the first place. Now if you need/want a little more power under the hood, don't waste your money on a bunch of junk, just slap a TRD supercharger on it. Toyota approved, and it will not void any type of warranty.

12. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:51 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty", therefore, the poll question is not valid.

13. Feb 12, 2009 at 6:18 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    So that would make the Poll void?

14. Feb 12, 2009 at 6:23 AM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    i lifted my 00 dodge ram and voided everything. i couldnt win..so they thought. it was a lease,i put it back to stock and returned it at the end....hahahah i had the last laugh.

15. Feb 12, 2009 at 6:26 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Some Mods yes and some no.
    Installing a CAI (even a TRD CAI)and/0r headers with a TRD supercharger voids the TRD SC 5/60 warranty.
    I won't do it because of that.

16. Feb 12, 2009 at 6:42 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    Putting ANY mods on your vehicle will NOT void the warranty. Warranty work can only be denied by the dealership.. No voiding.. just denied/expired.

A dealership cannot legally deny warranty because of any aftermarket part, unless they can prove without doubt that said aftermarket part was the root cause of the problem for the part being questioned under warranty.

Dealerships will lie to you all day to save them some money. You got to stand up to them, and make them work.

IE
    I have a good amount of performance mods on my truck. About a year ago, my clutch blew out on me. I took my truck in with all the mods on it (including s/c, i/h/e). They didn't even try to tell me no because of mods. They saw that the clutch was a wear-item, so they attempted to deny me because of abuse. 15k miles, a clutch doesn't 'wear-out' unless you can't drive a stick (which I've been doing since 17). Lucky for me the Toyota Regional Rep was in town that day. I told them to look at the clutch/flywheel and prove to me it was because of abuse... They couldn't.. catastrophic failure. I got new clutch, flywheel, and transmission all covered under warranty. They even move over my B&M short throw shifter from the old trans to the new without questions...

...so in short.. make them work!

17. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:39 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    A lease is a different situation-It's not your vechicle at that point so modding it out isn't a good idea and may have violated your LEASE agreement- but it did NOT void anything unless it caused a failure.

They will tell you that...but it's not true. They can't write a warranty or a contract that violates THE LAW. If you let them tell you that it's void and don't do anything or educate yourself better-Then you won't get your warranty coverage.

18. Feb 12, 2009 at 7:52 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interesting.
    It's on the SC paperwork.I even called TRD and was told a CAI,even theirs is a no-no.I've read on another forum,a CAI may make the truck run lean which isn't good.
    I'm not going to add a TRD CAI anyway.It's not worth the extra few HP ,if any.
    I'm happy with the power I have.:)
    Regardless if or if not you will void a certain part warranty,it's not worth the hassle and the time it will take to maybe win the claim.

19. Feb 12, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    XrunnIT

XrunnIT Well-Known Member

Member:
    Austin, TX
    Vehicle:
    1GR-GZE X-Runner
    Built Motor by LC Engineering Boosted by TRD
    They say that because of the risk of the chance of running lean.

An intake on the TRD blower will net you almost 30hp depending on how the truck is running now, and how its running afterwards. The TRD re-flash is a hit or miss. I've seen trucks run lean without an intake just with the flash, and some run way to rich, where adding the intake was safer for the motor. I HIGHLY recommend getting a wideband and watching your AFR.

20. Feb 12, 2009 at 9:58 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    30HP,I'm interested.:D
    On another Tacoma forum,a TRD CAI with SC showed 15HP on a dyno.

Products Discussed in

To Top