Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Mods that void warranty. Worth it?

View Poll Results: Is voiding your warrenty worth a MOD?
YES 59 31.72%
NO 128 68.82%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 186. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member
Bsaint21 is on a distinguished road

Navy: Gunners mate
Bsaint21's Tacoma Gallery
Cool Mods that void warranty. Worth it?

I have a 2007 Tacoma. I love my truck to death, and I want so badly to modify it little by little to the way I eventually want it to be. And I see everyone else around me especially in the site, modifying their Tacoma's. But I have 5 years left on my warrenty and dont want to lose it so easily over something that I dont need. But Im a guy... WHat do you guys think? This applies to ENGINE and EXHAUST MODS ONLY.

BEN
Old 02-11-2009, 05:08 PM   #2
Thinks he's Steve McQueen
squad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsquad314 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter:
Name: Marc
squad314's Tacoma Gallery
Great question Ben.....I'm curious to see exactly what mods will void the warranty.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:09 PM   #3
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
Look up the Magnuson-Moss act -- if something fails, the burden of proof lies with the dealership to prove that the aftermarket part you put on your truck caused the failure.

It helps to print a copy of the act out and keep it in your truck just in case...
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #4
JC870 is on a distinguished road

JC870's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by squad314 View Post
Great question Ben.....I'm curious to see exactly what mods will void the warranty.
^^^ same here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delmarva View Post
Look up the Magnuson-Moss act -- if something fails, the burden of proof lies with the dealership to prove that the aftermarket part you put on your truck caused the failure.

It helps to print a copy of the act out and keep it in your truck just in case...
Good to know!
Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #5
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
if u do a suspension mod and it directly contributes to wear and tear on balljoints, then that wont be covered....but its not gonna void ur engine warranty or electrical stuff....see what i mean? it will only void the warranty on a stock piece if it fails from direct result of ur mod
Old 02-11-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
Nobody makes me bleed my own blood.
mudduck will become famous soon enough

mudduck's Tacoma Gallery
if your only doing bold on mods, keep the stock parts and put them back on if something bad happens.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:49 PM   #7
surfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shedsurfsupl is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Gregg
surfsupl's Tacoma Gallery
Its a Toyota. That warranty will collect more dust than your truck in the next 5 years! Enjoy that truck. (just my 2 cents)
Old 02-11-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
AK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedAK27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

AK27's Tacoma Gallery
i said yes since i'm out of warranty now :P
Old 02-11-2009, 08:08 PM   #9
higherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shedhigherlux is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Blake
higherlux's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to higherlux
do the mod after ur warrenty is over
Old 02-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #11
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
I also voted no. Quality aftermarket parts that are properly designed for your truck will not void your warranty. If the parts will void your warranty, they probably should not be on your truck in the first place. Now if you need/want a little more power under the hood, don't waste your money on a bunch of junk, just slap a TRD supercharger on it. Toyota approved, and it will not void any type of warranty.
Old 02-11-2009, 08:51 PM   #12
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty", therefore, the poll question is not valid.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 AM   #13
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonTheDog View Post
There's no such thing as "voiding a warranty", therefore, the poll question is not valid.
So that would make the Poll void?
Old 02-12-2009, 06:23 AM   #14
Machine gun shits
paintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shedpaintdiddy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: shithead
paintdiddy's Tacoma Gallery
i lifted my 00 dodge ram and voided everything. i couldnt win..so they thought. it was a lease,i put it back to stock and returned it at the end....hahahah i had the last laugh.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:26 AM   #15
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Some Mods yes and some no.
Installing a CAI (even a TRD CAI)and/0r headers with a TRD supercharger voids the TRD SC 5/60 warranty.
I won't do it because of that.
Old 02-12-2009, 06:42 AM   #16
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Putting ANY mods on your vehicle will NOT void the warranty. Warranty work can only be denied by the dealership.. No voiding.. just denied/expired.

A dealership cannot legally deny warranty because of any aftermarket part, unless they can prove without doubt that said aftermarket part was the root cause of the problem for the part being questioned under warranty.

Dealerships will lie to you all day to save them some money. You got to stand up to them, and make them work.

IE
I have a good amount of performance mods on my truck. About a year ago, my clutch blew out on me. I took my truck in with all the mods on it (including s/c, i/h/e). They didn't even try to tell me no because of mods. They saw that the clutch was a wear-item, so they attempted to deny me because of abuse. 15k miles, a clutch doesn't 'wear-out' unless you can't drive a stick (which I've been doing since 17). Lucky for me the Toyota Regional Rep was in town that day. I told them to look at the clutch/flywheel and prove to me it was because of abuse... They couldn't.. catastrophic failure. I got new clutch, flywheel, and transmission all covered under warranty. They even move over my B&M short throw shifter from the old trans to the new without questions...

...so in short.. make them work!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:39 AM   #17
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintdiddy View Post
i lifted my 00 dodge ram and voided everything. i couldnt win..so they thought. it was a lease,i put it back to stock and returned it at the end....hahahah i had the last laugh.
A lease is a different situation-It's not your vechicle at that point so modding it out isn't a good idea and may have violated your LEASE agreement- but it did NOT void anything unless it caused a failure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe B View Post
Some Mods yes and some no.
Installing a CAI (even a TRD CAI)and/0r headers with a TRD supercharger voids the TRD SC 5/60 warranty.
I won't do it because of that.
They will tell you that...but it's not true. They can't write a warranty or a contract that violates THE LAW. If you let them tell you that it's void and don't do anything or educate yourself better-Then you won't get your warranty coverage.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:52 AM   #18
Joe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to beholdJoe B is a splendid one to behold
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunesDoesTRD View Post

They will tell you that...but it's not true. They can't write a warranty or a contract that violates THE LAW. If you let them tell you that it's void and don't do anything or educate yourself better-Then you won't get your warranty coverage.
Interesting.
It's on the SC paperwork.I even called TRD and was told a CAI,even theirs is a no-no.I've read on another forum,a CAI may make the truck run lean which isn't good.
I'm not going to add a TRD CAI anyway.It's not worth the extra few HP ,if any.
I'm happy with the power I have.
Regardless if or if not you will void a certain part warranty,it's not worth the hassle and the time it will take to maybe win the claim.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:45 AM   #19
XrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shedXrunnIT is one of the sharper tools in the shed
XrunnIT's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to XrunnIT
Quote:
Interesting.
It's on the SC paperwork.I even called TRD and was told a CAI,even theirs is a no-no.I've read on another forum,a CAI may make the truck run lean which isn't good.
I'm happy with the power I have.
Regardless if or if not you will void a certain part warranty,it's not worth the hassle and the time it will take to maybe win the claim.
They say that because of the risk of the chance of running lean.

Quote:
An intake on the TRD blower will net you almost 30hp depending on how the truck is running now, and how its running afterwards. The TRD re-flash is a hit or miss. I've seen trucks run lean without an intake just with the flash, and some run way to rich, where adding the intake was safer for the motor. I HIGHLY recommend getting a wideband and watching your AFR.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:58 AM   #20
Joe B's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrunnIT View Post
They say that because of the risk of the chance of running lean.

An intake on the TRD blower will net you almost 30hp depending on how the truck is running now, and how its running afterwards. The TRD re-flash is a hit or miss. I've seen trucks run lean without an intake just with the flash, and some run way to rich, where adding the intake was safer for the motor. I HIGHLY recommend getting a wideband and watching your AFR.
30HP,I'm interested.
On another Tacoma forum,a TRD CAI with SC showed 15HP on a dyno.