Notices

Yakima vs OEM Racks

Old 03-11-2013, 12:26 PM   #1
architectx is on a distinguished road
Name: Trey
architectx's Tacoma Gallery
Yakima vs OEM Racks

Hey folks,

Brand new to the forum, and brand new Tacoma owner (as of Friday). So, I picked up a prerunner double cab, and it currently has a naked roof. I need to put racks on it ASAP. I'll carry one 14' paddle board (think light weight and skinny, in a board bag) at least several times a week from spring through fall. May travel with it from time to time.

I don't think I want to go the route of the Thule Xsporter, Trac Rac, or similar bed rail systems as I may eventually add a camper top. I could add one of the "goal post" types of hitch receiver racks if I must.

So the question comes down to the roof of the cab. My garage probably rivals Yakima's warehouse in terms of rack parts lying around. The only Yakima piece I'm lacking for the Tacoma would be the Q clips. I'm torn though - the OEM racks look good, and I suspect they'd be quieter than the Yakima stuff. The Yakima stuff could leave a little paint damage and the like. Then too, I like the potential for added width with the Yakima (two paddle boards side by side) and I know the Yakima stuff is usually pretty bomb proof.

So, what are the preferences here on the forum? Have folks found the Yakima stuff to fit well on the Tacomas, be leak free, and relatively quiet? Any big draw backs to the OEM racks?

Enlighten me...

Thanks!
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
PahalaTacoma is on a distinguished road
PahalaTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I carry a 9' longboard, OEM rack with 810 SUP Taxi Paddleboard Carrier. Does the job. Good thing about the oem rack is the ease of folding it away.