1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

THROW OUT BEARING NOISE WTF

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 82 yotaman, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman [OP] H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    Hello fellow TW members I have a 13' dblcab trd offroad with exactly 2422 miles on the od and this morning I noticed the throw out bearing making noise I confirmed that is the throw out bearing because the noise goes away when I push in the clutch, I already know about the tsb I am just ranting because I shouldn't be dealing with this kinda crap with only 2422 miles on a new vehicle just saying I will take it to the dealer I will let yall know what they say.

2. Mar 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM
    82 yotaman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    Update so I took my truck to the stealership today and after 3 hours of waiting the came out a told me it was a charaistic of the tacoma I called bullshit and didn't get anywhere so now I asking TW what I should do next, thanks peeps.

3. Mar 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
    jassco

jassco Well-Known Member

Member:
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2023 TRD Offroad
    On to the next dealer. I had one that looked at me with my clutch issues like I was smoking something. One finally listened and applied the relevant tsb. Good luck.

4. Mar 12, 2013 at 1:01 PM
    moondeath

moondeath Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pa, Gardners
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    5100 @ 0” w/ 2.5” Eibach spring, 1.5" Icon Progressive 3 leaf + 1” block, Procomp Wheels, Grill Thin Lip (Custom Car Grills Mod), Access Tonneau Cover, Pop & Lock Tailgate Electronic Lock PL8521
    This is a common noise on the manuals. I questioned this also at one point. Mine is quite noisy and goes away with the clutch pedal pressed. Many others have the same noise.

5. Mar 12, 2013 at 1:18 PM
    82 yotaman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    I just pisses me off that they think we(the customer)are phucking stupid but I will go to another dealer and see what happens.

6. Mar 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM
    TRD6Speed

TRD6Speed senior member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    East Hartford, CT
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport Access Cab
    885x with 5100s and top plate spacer for full 3", RCD extended 5100s in rear, dakars, flip kit, LR UCAs, tint, shorty antenna, in channel rain guards,BHLM, blacked out emblem, OEM side steps, weathertechs, debadged, rear diff breather
    I got mine fixed......year and a half later its back. Im prob just gonna get the URD kit and when my clutch needs to be changed I'll just do it all then.

I could go and try to have them "fix" it again but it will just come back.

7. Mar 12, 2013 at 8:44 PM
    o5tacoma

o5tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Hesperia, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Prerunner SR5
    billet grille with 4 hellas behind it, MaxTrac 4" spindles, bilstein 5100 all around with front set at .85" and procomp rear add a leaf
    my cousin works for toyota and i took him my Tacoma 6 speed manual with the same problem, he put in a new throw out bearing and the noise was gone, couple weeks later he called me and said the noise will come back after a few thousand miles cause the throw out bearings from toyota are junk! lucky me, the noise was back about 3k miles after he replaced it. i learned to turn up the radio and ignore the freaking squeek

8. Mar 12, 2013 at 9:58 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    Is it a high pitched squeal that goes away with light pressure on the clutch? Or is it a lower pitched growl that goes away only when the clutch is actually pushed all the way in?

The growl in neutral is a normal noise for the six speed.

9. Mar 12, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    82 yotaman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    It is the more of a growl noise that goes away when you push in the clutch.

10. Mar 12, 2013 at 10:20 PM
    joes06tacoma

joes06tacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Central Coast, CA
    Vehicle:
    06 4x4 Off Road Access Cab v6 6spd
    LEER Shell with dome lights operated with 3 way switches, aux backup lights with relay and 3 position switch, modified wiring to compass/temp display and clock to include switch that disables dimming function (poor man's DRL solution), Scan Gauge 2
    I bought my truck used with 40K, three years ago. It's got 65K on it now. I noticed the growling noise the day after I bought it, with the engine at high idle, right after pulling it out of the garage. It has not changed since then.

The dealership had Toyota's regional rep listen to it, and he stated it was normal. Since then, I have also had the throwout bearing replaced due to squeaking/squealing, so I am familiar with both noises.

I believe the growl is normal. It IS loud, I agree. Not sure how I missed it on the test drive, but I've accepted it, and don't worry about.

Products Discussed in

To Top