1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Auto LSD

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by toeknee, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Mar 11, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    toeknee

toeknee [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    sr5 acc cab
    Thx for the education on auto LSD. Here is the real problem; I have a howl coming from my drive train (SR5 4X4) I was hoping a fluid change would help. From 35MPH and 45MPH there is a drive train howl, almost sounds like a wind howl, like blowing across the top or a beer bottle. The dealership heard the noise but could not determine it's origin, only suggested it was the rear end. Many people thinks it's rear end. Toyota refuses to do anything about it, arbitration has failed also. So now I'm stuck with this annoying howl. Is there a rear end fluid that will help? My 1st generation Tacoma with 275K miles makes no such noise.

2. Mar 12, 2013 at 4:15 AM
    nathan3306

nathan3306 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Charleston AFB, SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 DC 4X4
    I tried to get a link for you but Google search it and numerous threads came up. See if you can't find your problem there first.

Nothing else, take off the diff plate and check for metal shavings in there. Put some new fluid in there, maybe synthetic would help?

Could you describe your truck some more. Maybe more people can help you out with better information. year, miles, 4x4, lift, tires, motor, tranny... The more info the better. I hope this helps some.

nate

3. Mar 12, 2013 at 6:53 AM
    Lurkin

Lurkin Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Pearland, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5 DC
    Not quite enough info to finalize anything, but that type of noise could be several things. Not sure what you've checked or that they've suggested but; Are you sure it's not the tires? A rotation can eliminate this; U-joints, have they been checked; Rear axle bearings; and the already mentioned rear end, a howl like this if it is in the diff is usually bearings or the gears are not meshed correctly.

4. Mar 12, 2013 at 2:03 PM
    toeknee

toeknee [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    sr5 acc cab
    I first noticed the agonizing howl at about 20,000 miles. The truck now has 55,000. The noise has gotten slightly worse or maybe I'm just sensitive to it. It's an SR5, access cab, v6, auto trans, 4X4. Never neglected or mistreated. It went back to the dealer at least 6 times. They called in their super tech who needs a hearing evaluation and he blew me off. I'm nearly at the point of replacing the rear guts but this shouldn't be necessary.

Thx guys

5. Mar 12, 2013 at 3:19 PM
    Merchantmarine

Merchantmarine Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Southern New Hampshire
    Vehicle:
    TRD Off Road D.C.
    Wet Okole TRD seat covers, Extang Trifecta, TRD Exhaust cat back, TRD Front skid plate-for-looks. Michelin AT2 265-75-16 tires. WeatherTech front and rear

Products Discussed in

To Top