Notices

Lug Nut Key needed, Gear Rims

Old 03-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #1
Hambone13th is on a distinguished road
Army: Field Artillery
Name: Josh
Hambone13th's Tacoma Gallery
Lug Nut Key needed, Gear Rims

Recently bought 2005 tacoma with 265/70/R16 tires with Gear rims. I went to get new tires and found out my lug nuts need a key, go figure never received one. I tried all automotive stores for emergency key and can't find one. Does anybody know where I can buy one without spending hundreds of dollars replacing the studs?
Attached Thumbnails
Lug Nut Key needed, Gear Rims-image.jpg  
Old 03-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone13th View Post
Recently bought 2005 tacoma with 265/70/R16 tires with Gear rims. I went to get new tires and found out my lug nuts need a key, go figure never received one. I tried all automotive stores for emergency key and can't find one. Does anybody know where I can buy one without spending hundreds of dollars replacing the studs?
Any chance to contact the person you bought it from? There is also a tool you can purchase that will drive onto the lug nut for removal.

Are all the nuts keyed? Normally it is just one on each wheel. Wheel studs shouldn't have to be replaced, and doesn't cost hundreds of dollars even it you do break one or two. If you don't get a key you will need to purchase a new lug nut for each of the security lugs.

Some have used a 12 point socket slightly smaller and driven it onto the lug and then use a breaker bar to pop it loose.

Look at these:

At Oreillys auto parts store: http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...M980/N1772.oap

http://www.tooldesk.com/automotive/L...oval-Tool.aspx

http://www.autobarn.net/emlugnutrem.html
Old 03-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future68Whiskey has a brilliant future

Army: Medic / Hangover fixer
Name: Richie
68Whiskey's Tacoma Gallery
pretty generic key by the looks of it. you should have too much of hard time finding a replacement on autozone or pep boys