1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is there really a difference?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Bananahands, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Feb 11, 2009 at 7:53 PM
    Bananahands

Bananahands [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    '05 TRD Sport
    I've been thinking about upgrading my exhaust. I don't really want it to be loud, just looking for a deeper tone.
    So I'm wondering is it better to just change out the muffler or to get an entire catback exhaust system? Its much cheaper to just get the muffler. Will it make a big difference in power between the two?

Thanks,
    Khris

2. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:07 PM
    A.D.

A.D. Desert Riding Ninja

Member:
    SoC♠l 4 life but stationed in Utah
    Vehicle:
    Low and Slow Mini
    A catback sytem will give you more power compared to just adding a better muffler, but neither will be huge hardcore power gains, both will give you better sound though.

3. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    Lentsnh

Lentsnh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Hummer H3 Tactical Edition
    None yet- Future: HIDs, Tinted tails, LED interior lights,
    If you keep your stock exhaust piping and swap out your muffler and maybe your headers it will make a noticable power gain and a great tone

4. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    Y0TA

Y0TA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Zac
    Central MT
    Vehicle:
    05 BLK TRD Sport 4X4
    Im in the same boat man. Ive read alot on here and Ive decided to just keep the regular piping and get the muffler because there is not that much of a difference unless you do a full exhaust and so forth IMO. Really I just want my truck to breath better and give a nice deep sound.

5. Feb 11, 2009 at 8:54 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    Swap the muffler. There is barely any difference at all between a catback and just swapping the muffler on these trucks. Take a look under your truck sometime, you'll see it's a pretty straight through design right from the factory. The only impediments are the cats, which a catback wouldn't remove anyway, and the muffler. The muffler is an easy swap and a fairly cheap mod.

6. Feb 12, 2009 at 5:37 AM
    Demoncleaner

Demoncleaner Well-Known Member

Member:
    Upstate NY
    Vehicle:
    05 Dcab 6spd 4x4 TRD Sport w/Tow
    TRD exhaust Homemade bed mat & bed extender, front Drings, Short clutch throw, Summer: Stock 17's Winter: Blizzaks on 16' black steelies
    If you dont care about looks, just sound, save $ and go with a good muffler. Exception being those in the mtns and up north that really eat road salt the entire winter. My stainless catback doesnt rust, and looks great compared to other 05's w/ stock systems that are ready to fall apart.

Products Discussed in

To Top