Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Leer Cap question

Old 03-13-2013, 06:22 PM   #1
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Leer Cap question

I recently got a new Leer XR for my DCSB. So far I like it a lot. However one annoyance I have it is that it's rear window does not open high enough. On my previous Tacoma (my dad's tacoma that I drove for a few years) we have a Jericho cap but unlike the leer it doesn't have the frameless window in the rear.

On the Jericho cap, the window opens up much higher (like a 30˚ angle from horizontal) which helps a lot with loading stuff in and me not hitting my head against the window edge when its open. Is it possible to modify the mount points or install a longer gas spring so that instead of being horizontal when the window is open, it is closer to the 30˚

Thanks in advance... if any one is confused about what I am asking about, I can go take some photos.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #2
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpvds View Post
I recently got a new Leer XR for my DCSB. So far I like it a lot. However one annoyance I have it is that it's rear window does not open high enough. On my previous Tacoma (my dad's tacoma that I drove for a few years) we have a Jericho cap but unlike the leer it doesn't have the frameless window in the rear.

On the Jericho cap, the window opens up much higher (like a 30˚ angle from horizontal) which helps a lot with loading stuff in and me not hitting my head against the window edge when its open. Is it possible to modify the mount points or install a longer gas spring so that instead of being horizontal when the window is open, it is closer to the 30˚

Thanks in advance... if any one is confused about what I am asking about, I can go take some photos.

One option is to lift the truck worked for me.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #3
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Pic ?

My Leer opens up pretty high , no chance of hitting my head
Old 03-14-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
biglinc is on a distinguished road

Name: linc
biglinc's Tacoma Gallery
mine was the same way , I bought some replacement struts on e-bay and now it opens another 15% the other ones were not worn out but did'nt allow the door to go all the way up.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
hpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shedhpvds is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Manie
hpvds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglinc View Post
mine was the same way , I bought some replacement struts on e-bay and now it opens another 15% the other ones were not worn out but did'nt allow the door to go all the way up.
Do you happen to know what length of strut you bought?

Also here are a few pics:

Old 03-14-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I find it interesting that the cap side of your struts mount so high , mine mount at the bottom

Old 03-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #7
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpvds View Post
Do you happen to know what length of strut you bought?

Also here are a few pics:

wow, that is super low for opening.. I can see why you want a change.. have you tried asking the place you bought it? They may be able to help
Old 03-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #8
PepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shedPepsiManKolt is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Air Force: Aerial Porter
Name: Kolt
PepsiManKolt's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglinc View Post
Thats what I did to the leer that I had on my last truck. Didn't have any problems after that.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:33 PM   #9
sde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant futuresde780 has a brilliant future
sde780's Tacoma Gallery
My Leer 100R opens just like OZT's...