Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

removing uca bolt to install new uca's

Old 02-12-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
robert benner is on a distinguished road
robert benner's Tacoma Gallery
removing uca bolt to install new uca's

Hello: Got to the point of trying to get the upper part of the uca off of the nut, any tricks here? There is no way to get the nut out of the one end, am I missing something?
Thanx. Rob
Old 02-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Check out this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...w-install.html

I use a few extensions to help drive the bolt out. I start with a 3" 3/8 extension, and work my way to a 6" 3/8 extension. You will have to bend the fender well a little bit where the bolt is gonna hit the sheet metal, and make sure you move the airbag wires out of the way. You also may have to revomve a bracket on the driverside under the battery.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Bend the sheetmetal enough to slide out the bolt. Then re-install the bolt from the other side and bend the sheetmetal back when you're done.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:14 AM   #4
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
As usual, Chris provides details whereas I just recommend using a BFH.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:17 AM   #5
Can you pass the bailout please?
LonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedLonghornTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
LonghornTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
Check out this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sus...w-install.html

I use a few extensions to help drive the bolt out. I start with a 3" 3/8 extension, and work my way to a 6" 3/8 extension. You will have to bend the fender well a little bit where the bolt is gonna hit the sheet metal, and make sure you move the airbag wires out of the way. You also may have to revomve a bracket on the driverside under the battery.
+1. I had a hard time removing mine too, but that link helped. Also, just take your time... It does actually come out.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #6
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
As usual, Chris provides details whereas I just recommend using a BFH.
Well, a BFH works 99% of the time.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:22 AM   #7
tgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura abouttgr8st has a spectacular aura about
tgr8st's Tacoma Gallery
+1 for a BFH, after you remove the batter and bend the sheet metal
Old 02-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #8
Hello guys: Thanx. a bending I shall do!
Rob
Old 02-12-2009, 09:30 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert benner View Post
Hello guys: Thanx. a bending I shall do!
Rob
You dont have to bend much. As you drive the bolt out, watch where its gonna hit. Also, keep the washer near the UCA mount, as it will want to creep forward with the bolt as its being removed, and it will cause a binding of the bolt. Like others said, take your time.
Old 02-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #10
Where I am having the issue is the one nut that is towards the front of the truck, cannot get it off to slide the bolt back and then bend fender!
Thanx. Rob
Old 02-12-2009, 09:34 AM   #11

Can you post a pic?
Old 02-12-2009, 09:36 AM   #12
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
OK.. I just realized how exposed the ball joint is on the new UCA's. doesnt' that make it more prone to failure?
Old 02-12-2009, 10:13 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
OK.. I just realized how exposed the ball joint is on the new UCA's. doesnt' that make it more prone to failure?
No. I have had mine in mud, under water for extended periods, and actually had wet concrete dry on the uniball. No issues.
Old 02-12-2009, 10:16 AM   #14
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris4x4 View Post
No. I have had mine in mud, under water for extended periods, and actually had wet concrete dry on the uniball. No issues.
wow.. that's good...I just have bad luck and figured I would be the 1/10 of a percent it happened to when I do it
Old 02-17-2009, 05:31 AM   #16
Mayor of TW
Delmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shedDelmarva is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Vet
Name: Mike
Delmarva's Tacoma Gallery
TCs typically don't squeak from the uniball -- camburg arms typically do.

If you don't put enough grease in the bushings they'll squeak.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:08 AM   #17

What He said^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I have only heard of 1 or 2 TC UCA's that have made noise, and that was from not enough grease opon install.
Old 02-17-2009, 09:34 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornTaco View Post
Guilty...
Old 02-17-2009, 10:02 AM   #20
Bearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shedBearskill is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: Bunch-O-Bullshit
Bearskill's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
I had the same concern when I got my TC UCAs. Like chris4x4 said, they are fine. And in the chance one of the uni balls do go out. TC sells new uni balls and rebuild kits for $40 bucks.