1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Supercharger installed 2013 DBCB TRD OR

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by B11, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:45 AM
    B11

B11 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    The dealership finished up my SC install yesterday and I picked it up last night.

I haven't put many miles on it yet but I've made a few launches with it and roll on's out on the freeway and you can definitely tell there is a significant gain in power. Maybe not quite as significant as I was expecting but my wife tells me sometimes my expectations are too high. I have a Edge controller on my diesel pickup and with it on the higher settings the increase in power is huge so I guess I was expecting my SC Taco to be the same way. I know, not really a fair comparison.

Like has already been noted, the noise level is relatively unchanged until you stand on the loud pedal and even then it's not really very loud. Much quieter than the other SC equipped vehicles I've been around.

To me, it feels as though TRD was VERY conservative with the boost and or fuel map. I think this kit has A LOT more in it to give with the right tune and boost level. It feels to me as if it's begging for more fuel. Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with the power increase it's just that I think with a little extra boost and more fuel being dumped it would realllly wake these things up. I'm probably a little more accustomed to higher performance levels than the norm so I'm always wanting more.

Based on first impressions, I would gladly do it all over again. It's a very clean looking kit. If you didn't know better you would think it came from the factory with the SC kit installed. I wish it had some kind of temp gauge for its separate cooling system though. Would be nice if that was part of the kit or even an option. I don't really like the thought of not knowing anything about that part of the system unless you open the cap and look to see if it even still has fluid.

I think for now, I'm just going to get some miles on it, the vehicle only has 2500 miles total as of now, then decide if I want to make any changes but knowing me, I see a call to URD in my future. ;)

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  2. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:48 AM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    Nice review OP I am looking to do the same thing but I got to say
    :worthless:

3. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM
    ChiefManyWrenches

ChiefManyWrenches Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    '11 Silver DCSB TRD Off Road 4WD
    Do you have any gauges to monitor AFR's or temps or anything? Do you know how much boost it is making?

4. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:52 AM
    B11

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    LOL Ok but what's there to see pics of? There is nothing special or different about mine versus the others everyone has already seen. Mine looks just like any other 13 Taco with a TRD SC kit installed.

5. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    mattgecko

mattgecko The LED Lighting Guy. MattGeckoLEDs.com

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    2011 DCSB O.R. 4wd TRD Super Charged
    Congrats on the SC! I love mine.

6. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:55 AM
    B11

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    No gauges come with the kit nor do I have any to monitor AFR's and or temps. That probably wouldn't be a bad idea though. I'm guessing maybe URD has those, yes???

7. Mar 14, 2013 at 10:58 AM
    82 yotaman

82 yotaman H.O.G Hunter Of Gunman

Member:
    First Name:
    BUBBA
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    1982 toyta pickup/2013 toy MGM dcab 4x4 trd
    avs bugshield, avs inchannel vent visors, weather techs, trd shift knob, tailgate theft mod, windows tinted to 20%, wet okole front and back and black level 8 guardians wrapped in 265/75/R16 Duratracs oil catch can mod interior LED's, pop & lock pl5500, Leer 180 topper, OME full lift with Arb bullbar
    Because it's TW you got to have pics in your thread buddy

8. Mar 14, 2013 at 11:05 AM
    B11

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    Ok, I'll work on that. :D

9. Mar 14, 2013 at 1:37 PM
    HighTQCummins

HighTQCummins Instagram: stormtrooptaco

Member:
    First Name:
    Hank
    SE PA
    Vehicle:
    '12 SW DCSB Sport
    5% all around, derp'd wheels, FMS40, 30" E-Series, 55w 6k bi's, 35w 5k fogs
    i think the reason they went so conservative, is so that any one can get in it and drive it, and drive it reliably, they wouldn't warranty something that could blow up. yes you can get more out of that blower, but then toyota has to build something that will stand up to worse punishment than you could imagine putting your truck through, some one will try

10. Mar 14, 2013 at 1:42 PM
    ToyotaTacoma4Ever

ToyotaTacoma4Ever Get Boosted

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Tacoma Sport
    Check Out The S/C Build
    Glad you like the supercharger! Get a 2.8 pulley from URD with the fuel pump upgrade and it will wake up the s/c a little bit more!

11. Mar 14, 2013 at 1:56 PM
    MetallicTaco

MetallicTaco Taco Driver Since '07

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 DC SB
    TRD Supercharger Alpine INE-Z928HD, TT Image Dynamics Components, TT 10" sub, JL Audio 4/600, Alpine Front and Rear facing camera lic plates
    What did the stealership charge for the install?

12. Mar 14, 2013 at 2:44 PM
    B11

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    The install was part of the purchase deal I made when I bought my Taco the week before Xmas. They wouldn't budge off their final price and I knew I was going to be putting a SC on my Taco so I agreed to their price if they installed the SC for free. They agreed and that was that but even though I got the install for free, I'm quite certain, I paid for it somewhere as dealerships don't usually do anything out of the goodness of their heart.... :D

13. Mar 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM
    ColtsTRD

ColtsTRD Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    Lucky bastard lol!!

Congrats bud :D

14. Mar 14, 2013 at 2:49 PM
    Blasphemous

Blasphemous Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    San Fernando Valley, CA
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport DC 4x4
    TRD SC, Stealth Pulley, DTLT Headers, URD MK3 Catback Exhaust, AFE II Intake
    I just ordered the SC + Fit kit for my 2012 yesterday.

I also have a pair of DTLT headers that I am going to put on there, as well as an AFR gauge.

Smaller pulley in the near distant future as well :). Should be a blast.

15. Mar 27, 2013 at 10:41 AM
    B11

Member:
    N.E. Wa.
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Off Road
    Is now SuperCharged
    I did the usual first tank of gas, foot to the floor, getting used to the extra power thing. Power is still pretty impressive but I'd be lying if I didn't say I wish the power was a little better. But, it's certainly better than stock!

Second tank of fuel I actually tried to see just how well I could do on fuel mileage and I have to say, I'm pleasantly surprised. Now, keep in mind, my Supercharged 13 Taco is completely stock, except for the TRD SC. My 2nd tank of fuel was all in town driving with a slight stretch of road, less the 3miles, that gets up to 50mph. Vast majority was stop and go with 35mph maximum. I made every attempt to always roll away from stops gradually and tried to never exceed the speed limit/s by more than 5mph.

With attaining good MPG, using reasonable driving techniques, on my mind I got 19.3MPG on my last tank full of fuel using 90 octane non ethanol fuel.

I did drive it relatively conservative, for me at least, but certainly nothing extreme. I'm curious to see how I do on MPG when I drive it in my normal manner and getting good MPG isn't my focus. But, I now know I CAN get decent MPG if I actually try too.

16. Mar 27, 2013 at 10:54 AM
    Gincoma

Gincoma Special Edition Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City UT
    Vehicle:
    RIPieces 2005 Tacoma, adios 2011 :'(
    Factory Monster Truck Package with reverse gear.
    simple install of AFE intake or TRD intake (gen 1 version) and URD pulley will really wake it up, did it to mine and what a difference quite noticably actually :D congrats BTW
    Also installing a URD fuel pump upgrade will help to it comes with a Walbro fuel pump which will send more fuel or able to keep up vs stock fuel pump

17. Mar 27, 2013 at 4:45 PM
    CtTaco

CtTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Connecticut
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 Doublecab Sport Longbed Supercharged
    3" lift, Tundra wheels with BFG ATKO's, Viper Remote starter TRD Supercharger
    Congrats! I love the SC on my Taco...

You'll know if the intercooler setup loses any fluid...one of the clamps loosened on mine after around 30k miles and I could hear it gurgling in the reservoir when you turn the key on before starting the truck.

18. Apr 11, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Redman66442

Redman66442 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Lacey, Washington
    Vehicle:
    2012 SR5 4X4
    TRD Supercharger TRD Catback
    I bought mine for $5500 installed with a TRD Catback. I payed $26,600 for the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top