1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transfer case actuator clean out???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ryhar85, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Mar 14, 2013 at 12:01 PM
    ryhar85

ryhar85 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    W. WA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD 3" lift
    3" Trailmaster lift, 18" rockstars blacked out, 275/65/18 sxt mud terrains, more to come.
    I have a 2005 tacoma TRD OR 6 spd with 175k on it. Over the past few months I have not been able to shift into 4lo, but it shifts just fine into 4hi. I am aware of all the proper shifting procedures. . . been doing it for years. A few weeks ago, i was once again trying to shift into 4lo. I was rocking it forward, reverse, clutch pressed and not, neutral and shifting back and forth from 2hi to 4hi to 4lo, and every possible combination of the above. . . in an attempt to loosen up the stuck actuator and shift to 4lo.

At one point, with the dial in 4lo, i released the clutch and heard a loud bang followed by a sound that i assume was gears not quite engaging, and i suddenly had no forward or reverse gears(dead in the water). Luckily i was just at the end of my driveway, so i turned the dial back to 4hi(engine running, neutral, but still dead in the water) and started to push it back to its spot. I heard another softer bang, and all was back to normal, in 4hi, then back to 2hi, then parked it.

I have shifted from 2hi to 4hi several times since this incident with no issues, but havent attempted to shift to 4lo since then. I assume this incident was the result of the transfer case actuator stuck somewhere between 4hi and 4lo, but not positive.

I had read somewhere that the actuator on these tacos can get gunked up and or stuck, and that it might just need to be cleaned out to restore smooth and proper function.

If anyone here has done this procedure before, i would appreciate any input, tutorial links, pictures, ect. . .

Thanks in advance!!

2. Jun 3, 2013 at 4:43 AM
    Taco'09

Taco'09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Thread brought back to life. I would like to know this as well. Anyone?

Products Discussed in

To Top