Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

2012 Carbon Fiber Hood & Fenders

Old 03-14-2013, 05:12 PM   #1
gofast is on a distinguished road
gofast's Tacoma Gallery
2012 Carbon Fiber Hood & Fenders

Hi all,
I've seen a few posts about carbon hoods here and there, but still don't see a solution for 2012MY Tacomas.

My goal is to reduce the weight of the truck, I don't want any fancy hood scoops or vents - simply carbon fiber OEM-style hood and fenders that I'll end up painting to match the color of the truck.
As a bonus, the hood and fenders can be used on pre-12's for those looking to upgrade to the new-for-12 front end (additional parts necessary). I have a 2006 and would be doing a full MY12 swap.

I contacted a southern ca shop that builds quality carbon fiber hoods and other body panels to get a price on building a hood and front fenders - I'm waiting to hear on a cost from him, but I'm sure we could get the price down if a few members showed interest.

1. Is anyone interested? Next step would be getting price & weight savings
2. Would anyone be willing to loan a hood/fenders to the shop to create a mold? (I'm very particular with my cars, as I'm sure most of you are - I will find out how long he would need these)

I just got off the phone with VIS (one of the larger makers of carbon fiber panels - http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog/) and they don't expect to have a carbon hood for the 12 until the end of the year/beginning of next. It would be nice to have a better option, sooner.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
Toy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Tom
Toy4me's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=gofast;6590282]

2. Would anyone be willing to loan a hood/fenders to the shop to create a mold? (I'm very particular with my cars, as I'm sure most of you are - I will find out how long he would need these)

Junkyard? There are links here for carbon fiber hoods if you search. I've seen them on ebay too. About $1000. Weight savings would be more significant on the hood than the fenders. They don't really weigh that much.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #3
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Monster Coma's Tacoma Gallery
Why are you trying to make the truck weigh less? to save on gas?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Coma View Post
Could be for racing too, desert or pavement.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
Monster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonster Coma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Could be for racing too, desert or pavement.
True, that's why I asked tho lol although if its racing don'tcha think glass would be better?
Old 03-14-2013, 06:27 PM   #6
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
Name: Brady
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
I wasn't sure how glass and carbon fiber compare weight wise haha. I just know both are considered to be lightweight.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
I wasn't sure how glass and carbon fiber compare weight wise haha. I just know both are considered to be lightweight.
I think CF is lighter but glass is already made and shaped so you wouldn't have huge wait times
Old 03-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #8
nofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shednofords08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Patrick
nofords08's Tacoma Gallery
Hmm i know my fiberglass fenders were much lighter than the factory ones!
Old 03-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #9

I want glass but I already have a snorkel and it just wouldn't work out lol
Old 03-14-2013, 06:43 PM   #10
ckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shedckeene9 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ckeene9's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I want glass but I already have a snorkel and it just wouldn't work out lol
Why won't glass and a snorkel not work
Old 03-14-2013, 06:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckeene9 View Post
Why won't glass and a snorkel not work
It can be made to work but its not pretty
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM   #12
gofast's Tacoma Gallery
[QUOTE=Toy4me;6590437]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gofast View Post

Hey Tom, I haven't been able to find any 2012 carbon fiber hoods - would you mind posting a link?

Junkyard? There are links here for carbon fiber hoods if you search. I've seen them on ebay too. About $1000. Weight savings would be more significant on the hood than the fenders. They don't really weigh that much.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 PM   #13
gofast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is exactly why - honestly I probably won't notice much of a difference, but I'm interested in seeing how much weight I can shave off. My goal with the truck is to maximize fuel economy.

The fuel savings (if any) would never come close to the price it will cost for carbon pieces, but I have a damaged hood and front fender and was looking into a 2012 front swap anyways.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:15 PM   #14

If you are looking to save fuel, dont keep the truck.. Sorry to be so blunt but you will never get your truck to get amazing fuel economy. Glass hood and fenders will save weight but the price and the minimal increase in fuel economy will outweigh the benefits.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
Toy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4me is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Tom
Toy4me's Tacoma Gallery
You're right, did some searching - my mistake, my apologies.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #16
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
This is exactly why - honestly I probably won't notice much of a difference, but I'm interested in seeing how much weight I can shave off. My goal with the truck is to maximize fuel economy.

The fuel savings (if any) would never come close to the price it will cost for carbon pieces, but I have a damaged hood and front fender and was looking into a 2012 front swap anyways.
The stop-and-go traffic of SoCal will offset any minuscule gains from a light-weight hood
Old 03-16-2013, 01:05 AM   #17
gofast's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximus View Post
The stop-and-go traffic of SoCal will offset any minuscule gains from a light-weight hood
I agree with you guys, I realize it probably won't make much of a difference if any.
Luckily I really only use the truck to haul a motorcycle out on the weekends, no commuting, so I'm just trying to see how high I can get the hwy mpg for my own kicks.
Old 03-16-2013, 01:53 AM   #18
Maximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shedMaximus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: D
Maximus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I agree with you guys, I realize it probably won't make much of a difference if any.
Luckily I really only use the truck to haul a motorcycle out on the weekends, no commuting, so I'm just trying to see how high I can get the hwy mpg for my own kicks.
What kind of tires are you running right now? Over-sized off road tires will eat up your MPGs.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:15 AM   #19
AaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shedAaronArf is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy:
Name: Aaron
AaronArf's Tacoma Gallery
Unless you have legit carbon fiber fenders/hood the weight savings will be minimal. Most aftermarket CF parts are fiberglass with CF laid overtop. Don't think the cost would be justified. You could shave weight in other areas or cut the guts out of the fenders to save the same weight IMO.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 AM   #20
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronArf View Post
Unless you have legit carbon fiber fenders/hood the weight savings will be minimal. Most aftermarket CF parts are fiberglass with CF laid overtop. Don't think the cost would be justified. You could shave weight in other areas or cut the guts out of the fenders to save the same weight IMO.
This. Lighter rims and tires will help reduce rotating mass, but in reality, it's a truck and trucks weren't meant to be aerodynamic.