Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

These are real tie downs toyota

Old 03-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #41
Not very sporting to fire on an unarmed opponent.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
I think people are talking about the factory bed rings and the factory bed rail tie downs like they are the same thing
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #42
BenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shedBenWA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BenWA's Tacoma Gallery
Do they rattle and clank everytime you hit a bump?
Old 03-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #43
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Performula View Post
I would not rely on those flimsy things to hold a 440lbs. motorcycle up. Being honest.
People need to remember what while the bike weighs 440lbs, the forces acting upon the bike in transport will increase that. 440lbs at one G, versus 660lbs at a 1.5G turn. Not saying I recommend a 1.5 G turn with bikes in the back, but you've seen the retards who drive out there.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #44
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by husqvarna 530rr View Post
Whatever I want lol.
Just tired of looking at the bed rails flexing when I'm loaded with dirtbikes.
The whole bed is made from SMC (fiberglass-reinforced nylon), so now the bed sidewall flexes instead of the bedrail.

And the screws are most likely 95,000 psi shear strength, not 95,000 lb. If they are 3/16" screws, then the cross-section area is only 0.0276 sq. in., so 2600 lb shear. Most mil standard and NAS fasteners are no stronger than SAE Gr 8, but they are more consistent for fracture toughness
Old 03-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #47
mattmyster is on a distinguished road

Name: matt
mattmyster's Tacoma Gallery
new rings are probably unnecessary for our size truck however its your truck so modify it however you want! i got shit from people just for lifting an expensive truck but eh its mine so whatever who cares
Old 03-15-2013, 04:02 PM   #48
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Where did you source these? They look badass!
Old 03-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #49
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I think people are talking about the factory bed rings and the factory bed rail tie downs like they are the same thing
Yes
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #51
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad7088 View Post
Whats wrong with the bedrails and cleats?? I love em
Nothing, as long as they're used properly. I have some 2" wide, ratcheting load straps that could easily destroy them. If in doubt, use the D-rings on the bed floor.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
Skewpage
chilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shedchilidogrc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rodrigo
chilidogrc's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
So I yanked the bullshit bed rails and rear tiedowns. Put these in and made a plate to distribute the load. Who can tell me what they are from??

Very nice! Got any extra?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:41 PM   #53
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazie Sj View Post
People need to remember what while the bike weighs 440lbs, the forces acting upon the bike in transport will increase that. 440lbs at one G, versus 660lbs at a 1.5G turn. Not saying I recommend a 1.5 G turn with bikes in the back, but you've seen the retards who drive out there.
Goofy use of "G" aside, normal driving isn't the main problem.

Crash avoidance (or impact) is.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:50 PM   #54
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
Most mil standard and NAS fasteners are no stronger than SAE Gr 8, but they are more consistent for fracture toughness
Yep, only difference between most mil spec fasteners and hardware store is traceability and pedigree.

Maui Grown!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:51 PM   #55
husqvarna 530rr is on a distinguished road
husqvarna 530rr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenWA View Post
Do they rattle and clank everytime you hit a bump?
Good question... I thought they eould and had planned to use a small zip tie on the fronts, however they only rattle when hitting a decent size bump.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #56
husqvarna 530rr is on a distinguished road
husqvarna 530rr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Nothing, as long as they're used properly. I have some 2" wide, ratcheting load straps that could easily destroy them. If in doubt, use the D-rings on the bed floor.
Ummm how exactly do you do that with two dirtbikes?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #57
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
The factory tie downs are fine ( D rings ) for the rear, I've thought about buying the front factory tie downs from toyota for the 2013 models which are right in front of the wheel wells on both sides. I checked them out on the new trucks at the dealership.
I didn't buy them cause of the price they wanted and toyota said there is prob some reinforcing plate behind them, compared to pre 2013.

The cleats are marginal at best, they work good for what I use them for but dirt bikes and large heavy crap like that would make me look for an alternative solution.

Jerry?!! B.A.M.F.

Brett
Old 03-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #58
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Ummm how exactly do you do that with two dirtbikes?
I'd use a trailer.

Note that I wasn't addressing you. As I said, there's nothing wrong with the side, bed rail system if used properly. Two dirt bikes would likely exceed the load rating of the aluminum steel OEM rails; I wouldn't want to use them for that much weight.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 PM   #60
Well, let's play chess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
There's a pre-existing alternative for the front: http://www.jpmetalfab.com/products.html

That'd stiffen up the bed a bit. $50 seems fair, too.