Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

These are real tie downs toyota

Old 03-15-2013, 10:35 PM   #61
Raceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRaceline08 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Brett
Raceline08's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
I think people are talking about the factory bed rings and the factory bed rail tie downs like they are the same thing
I think a few are. Not the same.

Brett
Old 03-16-2013, 05:02 AM   #62
PMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shedPMK is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PMK's Tacoma Gallery
OP, nice install. Yes the fasteners are quality NAS stuff. They definitely are not brass with the coin slotted head style.

The 7075 will be fine to double it up, but I hope you anodized, or alodined the plates plus primed and painted them.

I like the rings, are they from a 53?

As for aerospace fasteners being almost the same as Grade 8 except for traceability...I say no way. Quality aerospace hardware has a lot more details in adding radius under the fastener head, better thread forming and will pass a magnetic particle inspection.

I have inspected brand new GR8 bolts with mag particle and they are loaded with cracks from manufacturing.

OP, send me a PM with the PN or what helicopter they are used on. Maybe I can obtain some locally.

PK
Old 03-16-2013, 08:39 AM   #63
mmm Tacos
Swordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of lightSwordknives is a glorious beacon of light

Swordknives's Tacoma Gallery
Looks good where did you get them?
Old 03-16-2013, 09:58 AM   #64
Resident Jackass
Krazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shedKrazie Sj is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: EMT - Alberta Health Services - Olds
Name: Power Serge
Krazie Sj's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
Goofy use of "G" aside, normal driving isn't the main problem.

Crash avoidance (or impact) is.
Pretty sure that's what I was getting at. Thanks tips.
Old 03-16-2013, 10:57 AM   #65
Lord of War
KenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenLyns is one of the sharper tools in the shed

KenLyns's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PMK View Post
As for aerospace fasteners being almost the same as Grade 8 except for traceability...I say no way. Quality aerospace hardware has a lot more details in adding radius under the fastener head, better thread forming and will pass a magnetic particle inspection.

I have inspected brand new GR8 bolts with mag particle and they are loaded with cracks from manufacturing.
Regardless of the flaws, if you buy a bunch of Gr 8 bolts from a branded mfr like Spaenaur or Fastenal, they will exceed the 160 ksi tensile strength requirement. The other properties like fracture toughness and better dimensional tolerancing separate the MS/NAS bolts from commercial bolts.

Don't put much faith in the paper traceability. I've seen idiot MS/NAS bolt mfrs who heat treat the bolts after thread rolling, but that's another story for another day...
Old 03-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #66
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Specialty fasteners, yes very different. You cant get buttress threads from home depot, But normal bolts are really no different from good grade 8.
I've seen lots of mil spec material that were supposedly tested from the factory fail our inspections. More than half of the helo tie downs we receive get sent back to peck and hale because they fail NDT.
But you are probably right. My experience is in the shipyard, I'm sure the aviation side is nothing but specialty fasteners and with much more specifications and tighter tolerances.
Old 03-16-2013, 12:09 PM   #67
biborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to beholdbiborado is a splendid one to behold
Name: Stephen
biborado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
There's a pre-existing alternative for the front: http://www.jpmetalfab.com/products.html

Got mine up for sale for those interested. They made for a great mounting point for my bike. Didn't budge one bit during a 800 mile trip, solid mounting points!

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...ml#post6598323
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #68
husqvarna 530rr is on a distinguished road
husqvarna 530rr's Tacoma Gallery
Yes they came from a 53d, however the 53e uses them as well.
Old 03-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #69
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
^^^ Why are you selling them?
Old 05-16-2013, 06:57 AM   #70
Well, let's play chess.
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by KenLyns View Post
There's a pre-existing alternative for the front: http://www.jpmetalfab.com/products.html

I got around to ordering a set of these. Thanks for the link.
Old 05-16-2013, 11:13 PM   #71
kumz is just really nicekumz is just really nicekumz is just really nicekumz is just really nicekumz is just really nice
kumz's Tacoma Gallery
well hello mr steve
Old 05-17-2013, 06:35 AM   #72
husqvarna 530rr is on a distinguished road
husqvarna 530rr's Tacoma Gallery
Haha what up menehune
Old 05-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #73
The Sticker Guy
ruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shedruggedT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

ruggedT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by miacevedo View Post
I have loaded a Suzuki GSX-R into my old X-Runner many times, and never had one problem with the factory D-Rings. And, I was only using the two fronts.

Has anybody actually ever had a problem with the factory d-rings??
I think the only people who have trouble are the ones that dont know how to properly secure a load... Namely bikes/4-wheedlers.