Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Lights Installed

Old 03-15-2013, 11:26 AM   #1
Dizzy TRD is on a distinguished road

Name: John
Dizzy TRD's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Lights Installed

I finally got my bed lights installed after months of stalking threads and ordering pieces. I used a Carling SPDT On/Off/On bed light switch from OTRATTW.com and two Truck-Lite Model 60 Oval lights that I mounted in the bed pockets. I cut out the hole for each light in a sheet of ABS plastic and glued the sheet into the bed pocket. I set the switch up so that when pressed up the lights come on based on opening the tailgate. I installed a door jamb switch at the tailgate to assist with this function. If the switch is pressed down in the cab the lights will come on and will not go off until the switch is flipped back. Overall I am very happy with the set up but I do regret going with the amber and green lights in the switch, Amber and Red would have gone better with the Tacoma interior lights. The bed lights are powered by an add-a-circuit and ran through a relay behind the dash. Let me know what you think and I will try to answer any questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Lights Installed-imag1729.jpg   Bed Lights Installed-imag1730.jpg   Bed Lights Installed-imag1734.jpg   Bed Lights Installed-imag1733.jpg   Bed Lights Installed-imag1728.jpg  

Old 03-15-2013, 11:40 AM   #3
Tripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTripps2012 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Tripps2012's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy TRD View Post
I finally got my bed lights installed after months of stalking threads and ordering pieces. I used a Carling SPDT On/Off/On bed light switch from OTRATTW.com and two Truck-Lite Model 60 Oval lights that I mounted in the bed pockets. I cut out the hole for each light in a sheet of ABS plastic and glued the sheet into the bed pocket. I set the switch up so that when pressed up the lights come on based on opening the tailgate. I installed a door jamb switch at the tailgate to assist with this function. If the switch is pressed down in the cab the lights will come on and will not go off until the switch is flipped back. Overall I am very happy with the set up but I do regret going with the amber and green lights in the switch, Amber and Red would have gone better with the Tacoma interior lights. The bed lights are powered by an add-a-circuit and ran through a relay behind the dash. Let me know what you think and I will try to answer any questions.
Clean install very nice!
Old 03-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #4
Foxone is on a distinguished road
Foxone's Tacoma Gallery
Very nice, I think Ill give it a try. Care to share some part numbers for the interior switch and tailgate switch?
Old 03-15-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
Dizzy TRD is on a distinguished road

Dizzy TRD's Tacoma Gallery
I used the VVPZC59-1TL V-series Contura V sealed rocker switch from http://www.otrattw.com/proddetail.php?prod=VVPZC59-1TL
The jamb switch was model SW3677 Courtesy light from autozone ordered in online and they shipped to my house next day for free. There are cheaper jamb switches but I liked the look of the rubber boot.
I installed it based on this drawing from TurboGT
http://i1094.photobucket.com/albums/...ngswitch-1.png

The orange top lights for the switch are controlled by the dash light and the green strip on the bottom comes on when there is power going to the lights.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #6
llibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shedllibrm is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Bill
llibrm's Tacoma Gallery
Looks great. Nice job on the switch
Old 03-15-2013, 04:45 PM   #7
It seemed like a good idea at the time...
RickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant futureRickG has a brilliant future

Law Enforcement: Retired
RickG's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to RickG
Nice clean job! Need to do this.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
NorCalTaco33 is on a distinguished road

Name: Ronnie
NorCalTaco33's Tacoma Gallery
Do you know the best way to take out the box to install the lights? I did a very similar mod to my Taco and I broke both the little brackets supporting the box.....
Old 04-04-2013, 08:23 PM   #9
racemybuick is on a distinguished road

racemybuick's Tacoma Gallery
I did this:

John
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Lights Installed-image.jpg  
Old 04-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
racemybuick is on a distinguished road

racemybuick's Tacoma Gallery