1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check this tacoma out!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Pigeon, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:35 PM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4
    I have been a police officer and I have put my life in harms way. With that said, you do not start shooting at a car until either you have confirmed the suspect is the one in the actual car, and there has been shots fired at you or the populace around you. No where on any story was there any evidence that the occupants of the vehicle fired upon the police nor the populace around. The city will settle and they should, this is not a justifiable shooting. Those police officers most likely will be fired.

2. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Excellent point. I love police that are true public servants and can recognize right from wrong. Thank you sir for you service.

3. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    One took two bullets to the back and I believe is still in the hospital. The other is psychologically damaged and afraid to go outside.

4. Mar 15, 2013 at 5:56 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Wait, we all hear this from the media. We are all seeing the same pics and know the same facts (although some slightly distorted) but overall the story is the same. So what do you think is the appropriate response?

"They had it coming for driving a Tacoma down a street they shouldn't have.." should

"I think shoot first and ask questions later is how 8 sworn officers together behave all the time."

"It was worth it to shoot up a couple innocent ladies, it COULD have been the suspect yanno.."

I can't imagine what your point is here. Monday morning QB's? We are citizens commenting on a serious error that could have been ANY OF US. This was not accepted practice or acknowledged procedure. You need to take a good hard look in the mirror and figure out why you are upset people speak out about incidents like this.

5. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM
    jtav2002

jtav2002 Kenny Fuckin Powers

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Reading, PA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DBL Cab TRD OR
  6. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:05 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:
    Whats funny is you can see a lot by that picture. Remember there were 8 shooters in this. Actually their shot placement wasn't bad, but you have to look at what they were aiming at. I see both left tires are flat, so someone hit those pretty well.. maybe the right side are flat too. The "center mass" shooting just means that someone was aiming for the visible middle so they weren't doing anything except panic shooting at the perceived threat and following their training.

The groupings through the left and right side rear windows though were clearly intended to be kill shots to both the driver and passenger.

7. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    Cain

Cain Well-Known Member

Member:
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tacoma
    Chrome don't get you home
    Fact: they were delivering newspapers, near 4-5 am with hazards flashing, and headlights off, so they dont shine lights in peoples homes, as they do in my neighborhood so they can be safe and seen.

I don't think dohrner would of came with hazards on causing attention to himself?

8. Mar 15, 2013 at 6:51 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    That's not really relevant.
    This..
    This too, this story is old, let it die.

9. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:04 PM
    JayDirt

JayDirt I owe it all to little chocolate donuts

Member:
    Yep...let it go!:rain:

10. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:48 PM
    Front sight

Front sight Well-Known Member

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    06 Prerunner TRD Sport
    Full OME 3"lift, LR UCA's,Destination 285/70/17's, 1.25 spidertrax, K&N drop in, 2nd filter removed, Weathertech liners, Toyota bed mat, reverse lights,Wet Oklee's, bedlights and other small stuff.

11. Mar 15, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    Raceline08

Raceline08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brett
    Santa Rosa, ca
    Vehicle:
    Silver 08 DBC SB 4x4 TRD Offroad
    front Billies, 885x coils, taco lean spacer, TC UCA'S, Magnaflow 22" OME Dakars, Billy 110 rear's, B.A.M.F CMC, custom made E-locker guard
    Holy crap! Poor truck. It brought a tear to my eye.

Brett

12. Mar 15, 2013 at 8:05 PM
    FLtaco24

FLtaco24 Just a man and his truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Daytona Beach/South FL
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner SR5
    Stock for now
    x2

13. Mar 15, 2013 at 11:36 PM
    majorhavok

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Vehicle:

14. Mar 16, 2013 at 12:14 AM
    Tacoma909

Tacoma909 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Missoula Montana
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma 4X4 DCSB
    Level lift
    In my local newspaper

image.jpg

15. Mar 16, 2013 at 12:27 AM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    That was announced yesterday.

Chief said he would replace the truck, but they discovered that the ladies would be liable for taxes, so they instead issued the cash settlement of $40k to replace the truck.

There is still a civil case open for the injuries, and LAPD is still investigating the incident. The blue Taco is being held in the evidence impound.

This isn't over. They've got a new truck, but they still likely hit the lottery.

16. Mar 16, 2013 at 1:43 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    bet that thing whistles like a bitch now !

17. Mar 16, 2013 at 5:43 AM
    wlmuncy

wlmuncy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    William
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2007 Double Cab Manual 4*4

18. Mar 16, 2013 at 1:39 PM
    Ryan DCFS

Ryan DCFS Elevator guy

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    East Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    09 DC long bed TRD silver streak
    Motor vehicles have been used under many circumstances to kill police officers.

There have been countless numbers of justified Officer involved shootings, where the suspect driver did not have a gun, but instead they used their vehicle as a deadly weapon.

How do you know that in the darkness, these officers, seeing a vehicle; -that is within the realm of a matching the description of the suspect vehicle (dark colored pickup), and had very recently been told that the suspect vehicle may have been spotted and heading their direction.
    - [The released reports all say] the Tacoma was driving slowly,
    -With it's headlights off,
    - In the dark,
    - swerving from one side of the road to another. When the officers became visible to the driver, she turned on her headlights and increased her speed, in hindsight, we now know that this was probably due to her driving, seeing some movement in front of her and having a "I wonder what that is - let me turn on the lights" moment.

I'm not saying that this was a good shoot, as far as the circumstances are concerned. It is terrible that these women went through that ordeal.

I'm wondering, though, how as a police officer for several years, you can make such an absolute statement about them being 100% in the wrong for this. You weren't there; How do you know what they felt? How do you know that in those moments, from those officers' perspectives, that they did not feel that their lives were threatened. The fact of the matter is, you weren't there, and we, as the public, still do not have every fact on this shooting, and therefore cannot say, with certainty, that there was no perceived immediate life threat, from the perspective of the officers involved.

If you take the situation out of the involved circumstances, you have this: A vehicle moving slowly at night with it's headlights off, swerving. An officer steps to within the drivers view to try to get their attention; The vehicle then turns on it's headlights and accelerates towards the officer.

Does that officer fear for their life? You're saying that you can determine the validity of another officer's fear by only the most miniscule and basic details of the incident. I just don't think that is a responsible stance to take.

Again, I'm not saying that there is no liability or responsibility to be assumed by the department. I absolutely think that there were mistakes made (by whom is yet to be determined). I think that these women are going to receive a hefty (and deserved) settlement.

However, I will not make a statement so bold as "the officers involved should be fired and prosecuted", when the investigation is not yet complete, and I was not there, and do not have the details of everything that occurred. If the investigation determines that the officers' did in fact act with absolute neglect, then they will face the consequences of their actions, but until then, we just don't know.

19. Mar 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Rich91710

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Dornan had "recently" shot and killed officers in Riverside, and immediately prior, took shots at officers in Corona.

He was moving away from Torrance and distances/traffic could not have had him at both locations within the time frame of the shooting and the Torrance incident.

I was on my way to work listening to the news broadcasts as this was unfolding. They reported that the Torrance incident was "unrelated to the Dorner search"
    Yes, I know the news media often gets it wrong, either intentionally or through ignorance, but they get their information from the PD and there would have been no reason for the news agencies to report that it was unrelated if it was not fed to them.

At the same time, the news was (correctly) reporting that the vehicle was a Gray Nissan Titan. The Caltrans freeway signs were reporting it as a Blue pickup.

Thankfully, the Torrance incident was the only police-involved shooting of a civilian. As on edge as all police agencies in SoCal were, this could have been very bad. It was bad enough that Dornan killed those he did.

20. Mar 16, 2013 at 1:54 PM
    Redfox1

Redfox1 'Stralia! Riding Roo's and wrangling koalas

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Santa Paula, CA and SLO
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Sport TRD
    Browning Floor Mats, 275/70/17 BFG All-Terrain T/A's, Procomp 7089 wheels,Rear Spring TSB, Bilstein 5100's, LED roof light, seatbelt chime disabled, CB, UWS Toolbox,
    Step 1. Search for other Chris Dorner threads.

Step 2. Read

Step 3. Stop going over stuff thats already been talked about

Step 4. End thread

Products Discussed in

To Top