1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Key Fob

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by ThomasMore66, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:33 AM
    ThomasMore66

ThomasMore66 [OP] We can't stop here, this is bat country!

Member:
    Dallas/Fort Worth & Durango
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged 2013 TRD Offroad 4wd
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Before the flames come my way, I have searched for this. Even found this site: http://www.programyourremote.com/classified/Browse.asp?cid=303.

I have a 2013 Tacoma and one of the remotes lost its memory. Changed the battery and still nothing. Looked in the owners manual and it said go to the dealer. Hmph! Went to the dealer and they said it would be an hour because they didn't have a technician. I did go by the parts counter and they tested the unit to verify that it still broadcasted a signal.

I cycled by the salesman I used and he claimed that the new units need to be programmed with some sort of device (!?). I'm questioning this because I knew more about the truck when I bought it than he did.

Anyway, does anybody know what the process of door openings, key turns, squinting at the sun, and holding my breath will get my fob working?

2. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:44 AM
    zzchipster

zzchipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco 4x4 trd lwb trd sc
    trd s/c and exhaust, 5100's,bud builts
    search...it is all over the forum...i have done this several times...there may be multiple solutions listed, find one that works...it usually takes multiple tries to get it...i have someone sit in passenger seat telling me the series of commands...

3. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:46 AM
    zzchipster

zzchipster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 taco 4x4 trd lwb trd sc
    trd s/c and exhaust, 5100's,bud builts
    that looks like the procedure...remember when u get into programming mode hold down both buttons at the same time...i have done this on my 2008...but not 2013 yet...even though i have an extra fob from my totaled 2008

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  4. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:47 AM
    Jerez

Jerez SoCal LED Dash Swap

Member:
    First Name:
    Rod
    Diamond Bar/Ontario, CA
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD 2wd converted to 4wd
    Estock
  5. Mar 16, 2013 at 8:49 AM
    deepcoma

deepcoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    This happened on my 2013 as well. I don't know if it was because I was trying to disable the the seat belt alarm and change the door lock sequence. The only way I got this fixed was to take it back to the dealer. It took 15 minutes for them to fix at no cost. The only way I know of fixing this issue.

Good luck.

6. Mar 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TRD Supercharger, TRD exhaust, Leather seats, running boards removed (why it came with them I cannot imagine), Salex organizers, BAMF behind-the-grill light bar, Rigid SR-20 and SR-Q - Spots mounted behind stock grill, color-matched grill, WeatherTech FloorLiner DigitalFit floor mats, Tech Deck, Avid bolt-on slider/step converted to weld on by TW member Achirdo, Diaz Fabrication Model T, Icon Stage 4 with OME Dakar rear leaf springs, OME Driveshaft spacer, Toytec 1" Front Diff Drop, FN BFD 18"x9" GMG Wheels, BFG KO2 285-65-18 tires, Ultragauge mounted above mirror, Tuffy Box lockable storage, MattGecko rear window security bar, Relentless Fab tailgate protector, CSJumper 700 lumen flood pattern back-up LED's, modified BeeRadd under-hood lighting with two KC Cyclones; KB Voodoo cargo management system and standard rails, AllPro hi-lift jack mount, 48" hi-lift, RCI Metalworks aluminum front skid, Flyzeye 3VP-RS in glovebox and console, AFE CAI, Coupe fuse box cover, battery hold-down bracket and CAI air-box cover, Wurton pod led's installed as bed lights on Lowbrow Customs motorcycle fork brake line aluminum brackets, Pop-n-Lock PL5400, Extang Solidfold 2.0, Rechelon Retro's, Moromoto LED fogs, URD Y-pipe, Walbro 255lph fuel pump, Speedhut AFR and Boost gauges, Cravenspeed gauge holder, CMC by Tandem Automotive, 70mm throttle body, CSF radiator, Doug Thorley shorties, Vibrant 7101 cats, SOS Offroad front and rear bumpers, Smoothflow 2.5” SC pulley, Steeda SC belt tensioner, roostfactor belt wrap kit, switch Pro 9100 in custom Tandem Automotive holder, WAT trans valvebody, FIC 650cc injectors, HP Tuner.
    Thanks for the input. I'll give this a try and see what happens. The gal at the service center initially told me it would be $50... I just stared at her, and then said, "It only has 1900 miles on it." $50! That's crazy.

7. Mar 16, 2013 at 1:32 PM
    deepcoma

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Talk to your salesperson and tell them it never worked from the time you got the truck. He or she should be able to get it done for free. This should be done as a good will service as you are a new customer. I know this cause I work in the industry. If all else fails go see the service manager or even the sales manager/general manager.

If they still will not do this for you then your dealer sucks and you should not deal with them any longer. Take your $50.00 elsewhere to get it done.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2013
  8. Mar 16, 2013 at 1:59 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes! Those instructions were just like my 2003 Tundra. I did have to do it a few times...miss a step and start over! I now have that filed with my owners manual. Had to reprogram a garage door opener keypad today too. Not sure why the dealer makes that out to be such a big deal.

While I was sitting in the truck, I changed the color of the temp/compass just to say I had.

9. Mar 16, 2013 at 2:02 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    I just noticed your tag. Newfoundland. Never been there, but it looks epic. Did a little Googling just now. I'm a fan of Canada.

10. Mar 16, 2013 at 2:13 PM
    deepcoma

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    It is a nice spot but can be cold! lol Never been to Texas either but would love to check it out, furthest south I've been in the US is Memphis when I worked for FedEx.

11. Mar 16, 2013 at 3:07 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    My paycheck stops here and I'm keen to keep it. My goal is to get back to Colorado, but for now I'm here. From about April to October it's just hot, not kinda hot or warm or mild... No. Hot. Part of the reason I went with 4wd this time was because my 2wd Tundra couldn't take me skiing or consitently get me to my parents house south of Denver in the winter.

It's clearly a business-friendly place and the state economy has done pretty well even with all the other stuff the world economy has endured. My wife and I have raised two kids here, but they both found colleges about as far away from Texas as possible.

Sporting shorts and flip flops today (current temp 81F), but I'd rather be looking out at a foot of fresh powder. Maybe later in the month...

12. Mar 16, 2013 at 3:43 PM
    deepcoma

Member:
    Land of the rising sun
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD Sport DCSB 4X4
    Come sit on my deck and look at the white stuff...more on the way too! I'll trade with you but of course the grass is always greener........

13. Mar 17, 2013 at 1:59 AM
    lpfm1990

lpfm1990 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Newfane NY
    Vehicle:
    13 tundra dbl cab rock warrior
    trd duals
    Send me snow to buffalo. I wanna ride my snowmobile. But all I have is green grass!!!! Lol

14. Mar 17, 2013 at 6:55 AM
    gnawbone

gnawbone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kj
    Nashville, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Interesting - how did you change the color of the temp/compass?

15. Mar 17, 2013 at 7:25 AM
    rickc5

rickc5 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Whitewater, CO
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
    none
    My opinion is that Toyota and its dealers want us to believe that all of this programming stuff is some form of Black Magic that can ONLY be done by someone at a dealership for a fee--like that $50 they wanted to charge you.

In reality, most needed programming isn't difficult at all, IF you have the correct instructions.

When we bought our used '06, it didn't come with remote fobs. I pointed this out to our salesman and I thought he was going to have a heart attack, and quickly stated that the used car manager would NOT pay for fobs. I had already ordered two fobs from eBay for $19 apiece, and told him not to worry, I had it covered. He then said: "But you will need to have us program them!" To which I retorted: "No, they come with programming instructions." which totally surprised him. The fobs arrived, and 10 minutes later I had programmed both of them. They have been working fine ever since.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  16. Mar 17, 2013 at 8:13 AM
    BeEatNU

BeEatNU Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Gardena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tacoma Double Cab Limited
    this is all regarding the stock alarm system right?

17. Mar 17, 2013 at 8:18 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Saw it in the owners manual (I know, right? Who reads that?). In the back they cover some things that you can mod. The mirror is way easy if you have the compass/temp/rear-cam style. You just hold down the button until the little menu comes up. Follow the on-screen directions. You can have orange (looks red to me), green, blue, and white. I wish I could change the color of the lines on the back-up camera image - takes my eyes a minute to focus on those light blue lines.

Tacoma Mirror.jpg

18. Mar 17, 2013 at 8:20 AM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes. You do look stupid programming the alarm... Open/close door, insert/remove key, turn key but don't start, open door, curse, start over...

19. Mar 18, 2013 at 5:13 AM
    gnawbone

gnawbone Member

Member:
    First Name:
    kj
    Nashville, IN
    Vehicle:
    2013 TRD OR Magnetic Gray
    Thanks for the info!

I don't have my truck yet - should be here today or tomorrow and if the text is orange (red?) it will be one of the first things I change!

20. Mar 18, 2013 at 7:00 PM
    ThomasMore66

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Maybe I'll put that down as a mod in my public profile. It's empty at the moment. So many things I want to do, and so little time.

Products Discussed in

To Top