Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Diesel Tacoma

Old 03-16-2013, 09:34 AM   #1
Rotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud of

Rotorpilot's Tacoma Gallery
Diesel Tacoma

check out what this lucky bastard had done...

http://dieseltoys.com/2009-tacoma-double-cab-d-4d

claiming 25-28mpg

Old 03-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
Old news, but very cool. Want diesel
Old 03-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #4
mrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shedmrbadwrench is one of the sharper tools in the shed
mrbadwrench's Tacoma Gallery
That truck was for sale on ebay motors recently.

If you guys are interested, there's another one for sale currently. Not 4x4 though, only a PreRunner.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...item4d0a98e90a
Old 03-16-2013, 11:24 AM   #5
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
$25k buys a lot of gas. Or a brand new TDI Golf or something that you could actually resell.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
Some one who would pay 35K for a 2006 Tacoma with 127,000 miles on it even with a new engine has enough money that they don't have to think!
Old 03-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Yeh yeh, diesel great, diesel sucks, diesel worth it, diesel not worth it. Two questions:

1. How much does it cost to just import one from Mexico or Europe? Tariffs/fees

2. If you DID, could you pass emissions in a state like California?

This always comes up and it seems silly to lust after something that is not a viable option. In California there are no smog requirements for diesels made before 1997. I'm not sure if that loophole could be exploited somehow..
Old 03-16-2013, 12:00 PM   #8
Kenny Fuckin Powers
jtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjtav2002 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
jtav2002's Tacoma Gallery
Someone giving someone like dieseltoys.com $25k for a swap probably doesn't really care about the "how much" aspect lol. Definitely more of a "because I can" mod more than a practical one.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #9
miniceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shedminiceptor86 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cook, 589th Combat Engineers, Ahn Khe, RVN
Name: Jim
miniceptor86's Tacoma Gallery
One aspect of diesel ownership that I overlooked for awhile is fueling. When I have to get fuel for my Kubota I find the diesel pump areas nasty oily places. Fuel spills on the ground do not evaporate and end up tracked into the vehicle, the nozzle is always oily making you wish you had gloves and then if you do where to put those. Somehow even with gloves the fuel inevitably makes it onto you hands so you either wash or get it on the steering wheel. It always ends up on the side of the vehicle on burp back. Not to be whiny but I can't imagine my wife filling up the shared truck more than once. Diesel is also at a $0.60/gal. premium over gas in my neck of the woods making each tank full cost $12.00 more. For me I don't see the economics of it if there actually are any making up for the hassle. I have therefor decided not to lust after current unobtainium. I will now spend my time persuing the holy grail of the perfect wheels for BluTaco to suit my 1960's taste. Sorry I can't do solid black, had painted stockers on my '55 Ford Victoria cause at a buck and hour after school/weekend job I was too cheap to by "mags".
Old 03-16-2013, 03:05 PM   #10
MLB007 is on a distinguished road
Name: Mike
MLB007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorpilot View Post
check out what this lucky bastard had done...

http://dieseltoys.com/2009-tacoma-double-cab-d-4d

claiming 25-28mpg

Around here diesel is usually 60-70cents more than gas.That's 20% roughly.
I get 21 with mine city driving so 25 ain't much of an improvement when you factor in the expense of the motor and install. The torque would be nice of course, but it's an awfully bit hit up front ($$$) to see a few more miles per gallon.
Old 03-16-2013, 03:07 PM   #11
Somebody call for a Wambulance?
Mitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shedMitch is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EMS: Paramedic
Name: Mitch
Mitch's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Yeh yeh, diesel great, diesel sucks, diesel worth it, diesel not worth it. Two questions:

1. How much does it cost to just import one from Mexico or Europe? Tariffs/fees

2. If you DID, could you pass emissions in a state like California?

This always comes up and it seems silly to lust after something that is not a viable option. In California there are no smog requirements for diesels made before 1997. I'm not sure if that loophole could be exploited somehow..
Very expensive. Is the answer. It would be cheaper to convert your own then to import. And CA emissions most likely wouldn't pass it.

This isn't that relevant, but in 2001 I was in Australia and got to talking about people there wanting to import a Wrangler from the states. They were told 20g's to import and convert the left hand steer to right hand steer (they don't allow left hand steer vehicles). Screw that...you could build your own for cheaper if you wanted a diesel that bad
Old 03-16-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
Rotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud ofRotorpilot has much to be proud of

Rotorpilot's Tacoma Gallery
yes, I agree its not practical...but very cool if you have deep pockets & are looking to spend some cash...
same here-diesel is atleast .70cents more expensive so it definitely wouldnt be 'cheaper'...mpg to fuel cost wise
Old 03-16-2013, 05:18 PM   #13
TRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shedTRD 09 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

TRD 09's Tacoma Gallery
I always keep my eyes open for a 4BT cummins, if I could collect the parts needed for a reasonable price I would contemplate doing the swap, but I wouldn't pay a shop to do it, that's where it gets expensive, I went with a 5.0L in my ranger because I couldn't find the diesel parts, and for the torque gains you would see in the taco a supercharger would be the better option