Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

4.0L Oil Filter Differences

Old 03-18-2013, 09:43 AM   #1
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: USN Retired
Name: Terry
DirtEater's Tacoma Gallery
4.0L Oil Filter Differences

My truck has a 90915-2004 oil filter, yet I've seen 90915-YZZD3 listed. Just wondering what the differences are. Does one of them have a lower micron rating?
Old 03-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtEater View Post
My truck has a 90915-2004 oil filter, yet I've seen 90915-YZZD3 listed. Just wondering what the differences are. Does one of them have a lower micron rating?
Bought the case of 90915-YZZD3 for 40$. Maybe someone put the wrong one in yours.
Old 03-18-2013, 09:53 AM   #3
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
The -2004 oil filters are made in japan and of are better quality, the ones you get for an oil change at the dealership are made in china or Thialand I think, but there a little different in quality.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:42 PM   #4
DirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shedDirtEater is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman614 View Post
Bought the case of 90915-YZZD3 for 40$. Maybe someone put the wrong one in yours.
Wrong one? That's the factory oil filter.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
The -2004 oil filters are made in japan and of are better quality, the ones you get for an oil change at the dealership are made in china or Thialand I think, but there a little different in quality.
Thank you. Maybe the dealer stocks both, I'd think anyway.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #6
Special Edition Member
Gincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedGincoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gincoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Thank you. Maybe the dealer stocks both, I'd think anyway.
They only get put on from the factory Ive tried many dealerships to get them and they dont carry them. I know someone sells them I saw a link for them here few months ago and he sells them by the case...when I find it Ill post it here
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 AM   #7

The 90915-20004 may be impossible to find. It sounds like they're no longer made, but I'm puzzled that they're installed at the factory. I guess the one the dealer carries is what most of the guys buy here?
Old 03-20-2013, 04:43 PM   #8
toyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to beholdtoyotaman29 is a splendid one to behold

Name: Darrell
toyotaman29's Tacoma Gallery
let me know if you find any...
Old 03-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #9
Carolina Alliance Southwest Region Ambassador
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gincoma View Post
Better quality...why? Because they happen to be made in Japan?

They're both fine. The only reason YZZD3 filters come out of Thailand is because NipponDenso put the manufacturing plant there because the exchange rate was favorable and packing labor was cheap.

It's not like these filters are hand made. Machines give less than a shit which country they're operating in.
Old 03-20-2013, 07:43 PM   #10
jcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud ofjcayce has much to be proud of
jcayce's Tacoma Gallery
Thicker canister and sponge media instead of paper. Not impossible to find, probably just not worth triple the price in comparison to the recommended filter considering the vehicle. I bought a case when I bought the truck, Carson Toyota still has them for sale.
Old 03-20-2013, 09:18 PM   #11
knayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shedknayrb is one of the sharper tools in the shed
knayrb's Tacoma Gallery
Just put a Mobil 1 filter in it and never look back. IMO, you are over thinking this a little. I put the oversized Mobil 1 M1-209 which is overkill but makes me feel good and many times it's the same price as the regular size M1-102. You can find these almost anywhere except Walmart.
Old 03-20-2013, 10:29 PM   #12
Member Caught Off Road
AWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shedAWorthyOpponent is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dan
AWorthyOpponent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
Just put a Mobil 1 filter in it and never look back. IMO, you are over thinking this a little. I put the oversized Mobil 1 M1-209 which is overkill but makes me feel good and many times it's the same price as the regular size M1-102. You can find these almost anywhere except Walmart.
Theres a guy on here that takes oil filters and compares them to others....most filters appear to be the same...youre just paying for a name and a color. Oversized ones have the same filter media....

OEM replacement filters remain the best with the most filter media compared to aftermarket filters...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by knayrb View Post
Funny you mentioned getting the larger M1 -209. Took my son to Autozone yesterday to get their Mobil1 EP oil and M1 filter for his '02 Ranger and that's the filter it takes. It's certainly bigger.
Old 03-21-2013, 08:40 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWorthyOpponent View Post

OEM replacement filters remain the best with the most filter media compared to aftermarket filters...
Having the "most filter media" may not necessarily make it the best, on it's own, when other filters such as Mobil 1 are using synthetic media.
Old 03-21-2013, 09:31 AM   #15
Calmer than you are
jmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjmg256 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Al Tonter
jmg256's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Having the "most filter media" may not necessarily make it the best, on it's own, when other filters such as Mobil 1 are using synthetic media.
This debate has been settled...
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tec...mpetition.html

I only use Toyota filters...