1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad paint jobs!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by hami252, Mar 19, 2013.

1. Mar 19, 2013 at 6:51 AM
    hami252

hami252 [OP] Member

Member:
    I have an 06 Tacoma and I just now noticed that the color of my hood and side panel do not match the rest of my truck. It's a super white. The hood and side panel have no shine...I noticed just recently the color difference because of some significant chipping on my hood. Has anyone else had problems like this??

2. Mar 19, 2013 at 6:54 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free 1983 - 2015... It was a good run

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '19 Ford F-250 6.7 SCrew
    F-250 Land Yacht Mod
    Detail the truck, wash, compound and wax and see if it brings the shine back. I have a 2007 superwhite and have not noticed that.

3. Mar 19, 2013 at 7:07 AM
    BlazeAce

BlazeAce Well-Known Member

Member:
    AL
    Vehicle:
    04 Super White
    Are you the first owner? My wife had an '06 Corolla she bought certified used and after a few years I noticed the front bumper cover was not as shiny as the rest of the paint. took it off and found hidden crash damage! Super white is really really hard to match perfectly so it could be that those panels were repainted after an accident.

4. Mar 19, 2013 at 8:26 AM
    AWorthyOpponent

AWorthyOpponent Member Caught Off Road

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Palm Beach County, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCLB TRD SPORT 4x4
    TRD Catback Exhaust
    Well that sucks...One of the reasons I try to stick to buying new, even if it means I cant get everything I want in the car...You know what you're getting...

5. Mar 19, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    TRDsport253

TRDsport253 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Edgewood, Wa
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD sport 4x4
    TRD Wheels TRD Skid plate
    I have the exact same problem with my 05 but the roof of my truck was not shiny as well. I then had a professional detailer cut and buff the roof and hood. The shine was back but shortly after the shine went away. I didn't have my front left and right fender cut and buff at that time so its pretty dull now. As Pugga said try wash it thoroughly and clay the entire truck then try some compound, polish and wax. When its nicer out here in Washington I'm going to try some different approach to get my shine back.

6. Mar 20, 2013 at 1:20 AM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    The white is hard to maintain due to it being a single stage paint ( It has no clear coat ).

IAW Toyota if it isn't a pearl or metallic paint it does not have a clear coat.

7. Mar 20, 2013 at 1:27 AM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Hmm? Ok, maybe that explains some of the complaints I have heard of crappy paint on here. Mine seems fantastic, but I hear people complaining about paint quality here sometimes. So if you have pearl or metallic it's got a thicker coat?(with the clearcoat)

8. Mar 21, 2013 at 5:39 AM
    hami252

hami252 [OP] Member

Member:
    Yeah, I am the first owner that.. that is way I am so bothered by the paint quality of my hood because I always take good care of my truck and I know its never been wrecked or anything.

9. Mar 21, 2013 at 5:48 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com

Sorry, but whoever told you that information was incorrect. You have a clear-coat, just not in the traditional sense of a base-coat, clear-coat 2 stage paint job. The difference is that the clear is specially formulated and added to the color. If you did not have a clear coat, the paint would not be protected, nor would it have any shine. The finish would be 100% dull, as paint itself is a flat color.

That being said, be very careful if you are going to do the polishing, as a coarse cutting compound can go through the thin clean on top when you have a single-stage paint job.

10. Mar 21, 2013 at 5:56 AM
    medusa1066

medusa1066 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonathan
    Morgantown, WV
    Vehicle:
    2007 4x4 TRD Sport
    While on the topic of paint, has anyone seen any paint "runs" beside the hood scoop? What about flaking paint inside of the fog light wells?

I am the second owner, maybe my truck had a crap paint job?

11. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:16 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    Sorry, but: My information came from Toyota. And they are not wrong.

You reaffirmed what I said, It is not Clear Coated. What you described above is Not a " Clear Coat ". It has additives that makes it somewhat shiny, but that is what the issue is. The paint mixed with a shiny additive doesn't protect against the UV radiation near as well as a true clear coat covering the paint. The UV and heat oxidizes the paint and it turns dull. It shines very well with a good detail job. The drawback is it requires more maintenance.

The reason they do not clear coat the super white paint is that it tends to yellow with UV exposure. Which becomes very obvious over the white paint.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  12. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    Sorry, but it IS still a clear coat of a type. The clear coat is what ultimately protects the paint from UV light and other chemicals. While it is a single stage paint, the clear coat chemical is STILL there. The additives are not to make it shiny, the paint is actually mixed with a clear coat chemical that is specially formulated to be directly mixed with the pigment. As it dries, the clear coat chemical will migrate to the surface, protecting the pigment from the UV rays, while the pigment remains on the surface it is applied to. That is one of the reasons you normally should do multiple applications of a single-stage paint job. Chemical bonding. It is still clear coat, just not in the traditional sense, and not near as good of a paint job, or as long lasting as a two-stage system. Learned all of this in the 2 years of auto paint and body courses that I have taken. I also thought that way as well until I took the course study.

This is further supported by the fact that paint does not require an activator. Clear coat does. Single stage paints remain in liquid form until you apply the activator, and then it must be sprayed, or it will go bad.

13. Mar 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM
    NelsonTacoma

NelsonTacoma This is my derpawayinator!!!!!

Member:
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    06 PreRunner TRD Sport 03 4Runner Limited 4wd
    Bilstein 5100's , 6000k HID Hi/Low Kit, Magnaflow Muffler, 1.5 inch AP Wheel Spacers, Mudflap Delete
    This is what my roof looks like. I've tried everything to save it but, not happening. My buddy who is a pro auto painter said he would repaint the whole roof for me for $250.

[​IMG]

14. Mar 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5

I will agree that we disagree.

The clear coat doesn't " migrate " to the surface while the pigment bonds to the body. That don't happen. It is mixed and it stays mixed. The pigment tends to settle in the layer of paint leaving more clear enamel on the surface. They do not have near the UV Protection that a two stage paint provides. I'm not saying that is has no UV protection. Just not as well protected as a two stage paint.

Below is a two stage paint:

4. Clear Coat
    3. Pigment Coat
    2. Primer Coat
    1. Metal Layer

Below is a single stage paint:

3. Pigment Coat
    2. Primer Coat
    1. Metal Layer

Anyway single stage paint sucks, IMO.

15. Mar 21, 2013 at 11:10 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    You win because of the SMOKIN' hot girl in your sig video. Please continue.. oh and put a seatbelt on that girl! she's too good to lose.

16. Mar 22, 2013 at 8:28 AM
    BamaToy1997

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    I will agree that we disagree as well. I have experience in the field. To each his own belief. I will leave it at that as well.

depending on how the paint job is done though, you have:

5: clear coats
    4: pigment coats
    3: sealer
    2: primer
    1:substrate (Metal, fiberglass, plastic)

That is a proper paint job. Always apply a sealer before you apply any pigment is what we have always been taught to do.

Either way, I still am firm in what I have said about migration.

17. Mar 22, 2013 at 11:47 PM
    Jimmyh

Jimmyh Well-Known Member

Member:
    SC
    Vehicle:
    2012 Prerunner SR5
    This is what they say.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  18. Mar 23, 2013 at 12:04 AM
    sr5vic

sr5vic Buy & Hodl

Member:
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    '13 Access Cab SR5 4x4
    295/70/17 Geolander G003 M/T's, 17" Work S1HC's, 1" Bora Wheel Spacers, King 2.5 EXT Coilovers, King 2.5 Tundra Rears, Total Chaos UCA's, Total Chaos LCA's, BruteForce Fab Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, OME Dakar CS047R Leaf Springs w/ D29XL AAL, 'OCTACO' Custom SS Brake Lines, Extended R.Diff Breather, RDI Aluminum Skid Plates, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Yellow Fog Lights, BAJADESIGNS Squadron Sport LED Clear Front Spot Lights & Rear Work Lights TRD PRO Grill, TRD PRO Headlights, US Offroad Winch Mount, SmittyBilt X2O 10k Winch, RotoPax 2Gal. Fuel & Water Canisters , VIAIR Constant Duty OBA System, Custom Bussmann RTMR Panel, Total Chaos Bed Stiffeners, StopTech Slotted Rotors, TRD Brake Pads, Off-Grid Engineering Dual Battery System w/ Blue Sea 7622 ML-ACR 500 Relay, Dometic CFX40 w/ slide
    Dealers will sometimes have to get panels resprayed due to damage in shipping. Plus I believe plastic ages paint differently or takes it differently than metal panels.

19. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:10 AM
    Nirvana

Nirvana Tesla Auto

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Morgan Hill, U.S.A
    Vehicle:
    2006 Off Road 4X4
    Icon ext. travel 2.5RR in front, Icon ext. travel 2.0RR in rear, BuiltRight uniball UCAs, Wheelers Superbumps, Goodridge steel braided brake lines, BruteForce front plate bumper w/ Warn M9000+synth line, American Auto Horns ACDF, Pelfrey Bussman mount+Sandman bussman fuse block (soon), 255/75R16s on painted stockers...because I'm not paying $800 to rock rash new wheels you scrubs. Shok Industries 2/0 big 4 upgrade and sound deadener.

Yes on my driver side door panels, but I want to say they are from aftermarket painting (someone put pin striping on and clear coated over, which I then peeled off, DUMB), clear coat dripped at the middle of the panels, and they completely skipped the very bottom where the rock guard coating is. Maaco?:rolleyes:

$250 doesn't sound bad for a legit paint job on the roof, they wanted $1000 for a complete repaint/blend for my two door panels at a reputable shop.

20. Mar 23, 2013 at 10:17 AM
    ntilehman

ntilehman Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Seth
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    09 Prerunner Off Road
    Rock Sliders Front Light Bar +1.5" Front Arms with Ext. Kings
    OK. I would try and buff the entire truck at the same time. Don't get crazy with an orbital or you may burn through the clear.
    As for the clear or no clear debate, I will say that a single stage paint hasn't been used for quite a while. A two stage paint job is pretty much the standard now a days and has been for a while. As someone who has actually sprayed that color paint I will say that you need a clear coat. You might be able to find a single stage but I doubt it. Take it with a grain of salt. Or a bucket if you feel you need that much.

Products Discussed in

To Top