1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

will lifting a Tacoma void the warranty?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by trx680, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mar 20, 2013 at 3:55 PM
    trx680

trx680 [OP] Member

Member:
    Will toyota allow for any lift, suspension or body, and still honor the warranty?

2. Mar 20, 2013 at 3:58 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    Depends how much do you want to lift it?

3. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:21 PM
    trx680

trx680 [OP] Member

Member:
    couple of inches
    just enough to put a lil bit bigger tires on it so it doesnt look stock

Do the Toyota dealers sell/install lifts?

4. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    Short answer is no.

5. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:35 PM
    bzzr2

bzzr2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Your warranty will still cover everything but the suspension. If your wheelin it dont bring it in dirty, make sure underneath is well cleaned, all should be good. I bought my lift from a dealership but didnt have them install it. They never said anythin other than it looked good!

6. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:53 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Not accurate. It is illegal for them to declare your warranty void because you installed a lift. The lift must be shown to have caused the breakdown you are at the dealership to repair.

The Magnuson-Moss Act was passed in response to an overall consumer sentiment that manufacturers intentionally made warranties difficult to understand, while at the same time held vehicle owners captive for service and maintenance. It put forth many provisions that make warranties easier to understand, shifted the burden of proof to the manufacturers, and gave the Federal Trade Commission powers to oversee warranty activity.
    The portion of the act of primarily concern to the automotive aftermarket is what is commonly referred to as the ‘tie-in’ sales provision. Prior to the Act, manufacturers would often require that customers use only their brand of parts, and their services, in order for warranty coverage to remain in effect. The manufacturers claimed that other brands of parts and services could be inferior, and therefore cause failures, for which they could not be held responsible. This tied customers to them for maintenance for the duration of the warranty.
    The Act essentially says that it is the responsibility of the vehicle manufacturer or representative (dealership) to show that an aftermarket part or component caused the failure before they can refuse warranty coverage. And while the original intent of the law may have been focused on service items like spark plugs and oil filters, such limitations were never written into the law. So, aftermarket accessories like exhaust systems, brakes, intakes, and even superchargers become covered.
    So what does this mean to enthusiasts like us? It means that the dealership cannot refuse to cover something under warranty, or void any warranty, on the sole basis that an aftermarket part has been used, or service has been performed elsewhere. If it can be concluded that the part or the service caused the failure, however, they can refuse coverage, but the burden of this proof lies with them, not the consumer.
    For example, let’s say you put a new cat back exhaust system and air intake on your new Corvette. Despite what some dealers and others might tell you, you have not ‘voided’ any of your new car warranties. Now say, some time down the road, some component on the car fails, and you take it in to the dealership for repair. They essentially have two choices. They can fix the problem, in accordance with your warranty, or they can deny coverage, based on the fact that the aftermarket parts and / or its installation caused the failure. It is important to note that claiming that your warranty is void, or in any other way no longer in effect is not acceptable under the Act. If they chose to not cover the part, it is up to them to show that the aftermarket part or service caused the failure. It is not enough to simply say it is not covered. If your complaint is with the radio, steering, or suspension, they will be hard pressed to show that your aftermarket exhaust is the cause of the problem. Now, if your problem is with the engine or drive train, there is an outside chance that the parts or the install could be at fault, but again, it is up to the manufacturer to show that.
    Aftermarket part companies spend a great deal of time and money on research and development, and much of that revolves around reliability. Provided you have chosen quality parts, and had them installed by a reputable shop, the chances of either being responsible for the problem go down dramatically. This is especially true of simple mods like exhaust and intake, but it also extends to more extensive mods like superchargers. The burden of proof is always on the manufacturer / dealership. If you blow your engine after installing a supercharger, it might appear that you are out of luck, but if you bought a reliable package and had it installed correctly, the odds are still in your favor. If many others are running the same combination without issue, then the culprit could be a latent part defect. And even if the supercharger or install can be shown to be at fault, causing a particular failure to not be covered, coverage on other parts and other systems remains in effect. Again, the Act does not give you absolute warranty coverage, but it does protect you from absolute denial of service.
    In 2010, an FTC complaint was filed by the Automotive Aftermarket Industry Association (AAIA), Automotive Oil Change Association (AOCA) and the Tire Industry Association (TIA). In response, the FTC issued a Consumer Alert, in which they confirmed that “The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket part.” The alert outlines key provisions in the law that provides protections to car owners. As defined by the FTC, an “aftermarket’ part is a part made by a company other than the vehicle manufacturer or the original equipment manufacturer.” Russ Deane, General Council to SEMA (Specialty Equipment Manufacturers Association) agrees that “The FTC’s reference to aftermarket parts is equally applicable to specialty parts.”
    A copy of the Consumer Alert can be found here: www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/alerts/alt192.shtm.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013
  7. Mar 20, 2013 at 5:31 PM
    Crosis

Crosis Tertiary adjunct to unimatrix 01

Member:
    Cape Breton Island Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Again, incorrect.

Thats what lawyers are for.... Remember a woman won 6 million from toyota for a rust hole. The brave win, cowards lose. The lack of balls in the USA is saddening.

8. Mar 20, 2013 at 5:45 PM
    Jux

Jux :D

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2013 V6 4x4 SW DCSB TRD OR
    Dealership told me no, unless I installed it myself and it was found to be the cause of failure and that even that is tough to prove. They then conveniently suggested I pay them to install the lift.

Whatevs.

9. Mar 20, 2013 at 5:47 PM
    blake5995

blake5995 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Truckee, CA
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma SR5 4x4 2.7L
    it all depends on the dealership. i would ask them first i have seen dealers replace frames even though the lift was the main cause of the frame failure and i have also seen dealerships not do simple maintenance because of lift.

10. Mar 20, 2013 at 6:53 PM
    CASTRATE

CASTRATE Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    SW of Tulsa, OK
    Vehicle:
    2012 4x4 SR5 6spd
    From what I've been told, they have to prove that the lift caused the problem. Make your truck your own. You probably didn't buy the truck because of the warranty anyway. You bought it 'cause it's a Tacoma. If you were purchasing a vehicle for the warranty, then a Kia would be the way to go with 10 year 100, 000 mile warranty. The dealership gets paid whether you pay out of pocket, or the warranty covers it

11. Mar 20, 2013 at 6:59 PM
    In a Coma

In a Coma Active Member

Member:
    Denver CO
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport
    INTERIOR:: 1.) Dynamat interior (noise insulation) 2.) 6-way Focal speakers w/10" JL sub, Alpine amp 3.) Weathertec mats 4.) Limo Tint 5.) Seat Covers - Ballistic Nylon w/MOLLE system 6.) Console Safe EXTERIOR:: 1.) 3" Toytec Ultimate lift kit 2.) Old Man Emu Leaf Pack 3.) TJM 9000Ilbs winch w/synthetic rope 4.) Front Bumper - Brute Force Fab 5.) Rear Bumper - Brute Force Fab (high clearance + swing out) 6.) Extreme Hi-lift jack 7.) Roto-Pax - Two 3-gal Pax cans w/custom mount cages 8.) All-pro skid plate 9.) Gauntlet Overland Gear Rock Sliders 10.) Debadged 11.) 40" Rigid Industries SR Series LED light bar 12.) PIAA 510 Extreme Driving lights 13.) PIAA 510 Fogs 14.) Roof Rack - Front Runner 15.) Cargo Box - Custom aluminum, military grade 16.) Dual Battery - Yellow Optima/Blue Optima w/IBS Management System 17.) Softopper 18.) ARB 50qt Fridge 19.) ARB compressor - engine mount 20.) ARB recovery strap & snatch block 21.) Misc tools/siphon/straps/etc
    The answer to your thread title - No. The answer to your first post - Yes. Mine has been in once for a warranty fix and they said nothing about the mods to my truck. I've done electrical mods, suspension, etc. They took my keys, fixed it, handed it back. No problem. Have a lot of friends with Tacoma's and I've never heard of this being an issue.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2013

Products Discussed in

To Top