1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2012/13 TRD seat Water Resistance better than in the past?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by 2013baja, Mar 20, 2013.

1. Mar 20, 2013 at 3:59 PM
    2013baja

2013baja [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Markus
    SoCal
    The 2012 TRD (Baja) has new* "Sport Water-Resistant Seats". Are they better than they have been in the past?

I did a bunch of searches on this forum and all the complaints I read about how easily the seats stain were from people with pre-2012 Tacomas. Can anyone with a 2012 or 2013 comment on the quality of the stain resistance?

FWIW, I have the "Sport Water-Resistant Seats w/ Driver Lumbar Support (Passenger Side Fold Flat Feature Delete)" and am on the fence on getting the Wet Okole covers. I only use the truck once a week or so, so wear and tear is low, but I do whitewater kayak and mountain bike so it's not a total mall queen either. I prefer not to have seat covers, but also don't want the interior to look like crap in a year's time either.

* = The 2012 Tacoma interior also gets a new look with a black high-contrast center console, switch plate covers, dash and upper door trim, while the SR5 grade features a new seat fabric design. With owners using their trucks for hard work and hard play, Tacoma offers new heavy-duty all-weather flooring in the 2012 Tacoma Access and Double Cab models, while the more specialized TRD Sport and Off-Road models offer new water-resistant fabric protection seats. The TRD Sport Package adds side mirrors with turn-signal lamps for 2012, as well as available chrome-clad 18-inch wheels.

2. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:01 PM
    MGMTacolover55

MGMTacolover55 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Orygun
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM Taco TRD Off Road
    floor Mats
    No not really but its whatever just get some katzkin leather seats and its all good

3. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:10 PM
    KB Voodoo

KB Voodoo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Glenwood, NY
    www.kbvoodoo.com
    Every 2ng gen Taco that I've ever owned had seats that stained with the slightest bit of water, including '13.

How hard is it to make seats that won't stain with water??????

4. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:17 PM
    Justus

Justus fucks not given

Member:
    First Name:
    Nabisco the kid
    In ur toolbox
    Vehicle:
    not so low, not so slow 2006 6 lug
    stockish
    1 of my 1st complaints.......even steam coming off of hot food will stain them.

Wet okes must be making a killing on tacomas.....same for katz

5. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:23 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Even with the group-buy that's still a grand to get all the stitching and two tone etc.

My seats so far seem pretty good. I have the same seats OP is describing and have had two little spills so far with no stains. One with water, one with soda. Both were attacked with paper towels right away. and were still "beading up" when I got to em.

In the past I have bought the scotch-guard red cans and done my own treatment. Worked pretty well if you are looking for better protection without buying leather.

6. Mar 20, 2013 at 4:30 PM
    XXXX

XXXX Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    sKiP
    Vehicle:
    05 Prius
  7. Mar 20, 2013 at 7:08 PM
    majorhavok

majorhavok Rabid Conservative

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike in Cali..
    Peoples Republic of Caulifournia
    Vehicle:
    '13 TRD Sport DoubleCab 4x4
    Ultragauge, ImMrYo mirror, Tailgate lock, Snugtop Rebel Shell.
    Looks like the same stuff according to reviews.. Not sure if they charge more for the "auto" can.. But i can say the red can original scotchgard works well.

8. Mar 21, 2013 at 4:32 PM
    dirtfondler

dirtfondler Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Jose, CA
    Vehicle:
    00 F250 7.3L Diesel
    I must be the only one in complete disagreement with this thread. I loved the sport seats in my 06 and so far I think the 13's are even better. I wont say that they never stained, but they cleaned up like not other seats I have ever owned.

I, well a friend, got some two stroke spooge on them and it came right out without leaving any permanent marks. Yes, I have seen plain water leave a stain too, but it is usually when the seat is already dirty and then water turns that dust to mud. But, those stains come right out with the simplest of cleaning. My 06 had 165k miles of dirtbiking, mountain biking, and camping on it and the seats looked brand new when I sold that truck.

So far, not a mark on the 13's, but I have seen water bead up on them which the 06's never really did. I paid for the sport model more for the seats than the silly fake hood scoop that everyone is enamored with.

Products Discussed in

To Top