Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plastic melting on Tacoma for no reason...

Old 03-22-2013, 05:50 AM   #21
MARKDESMO will become famous soon enough
Name: Mark
MARKDESMO's Tacoma Gallery
Look I just read all the stupid reasons that posters thought what was happening, OR NOT HAPPENING, to the plastic parts; see this recent thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...w-mirrors.html

It is the sun, it probably is the reflection off glass, but let all other reasons go. This guy lives in Vegas my car was either in SoCal or Waco TX, all 3 places hotter than hell with lots of sun...............................
Old 03-22-2013, 06:00 AM   #22
love4steel is on a distinguished road
love4steel's Tacoma Gallery
if it is reflection off glass... perhaps try backing in to your parking spot rather than nose in.. or vise versa
Old 03-22-2013, 06:17 AM   #23
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by love4steel View Post
if it is reflection off glass... perhaps try backing in to your parking spot rather than nose in.. or vise versa
Give me a break, "I can't park my Tacoma in the sun or it will melt, sorry my pussy truck needs parking TLC"
Old 03-22-2013, 07:59 AM   #24
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Hilarious.. every time someone has this problem (3-4 people now?!?) everyone jumps in and goes, "Damn! that guy with a blowtorch is back.. don't believe me? You just don't know what people are capable of!" lol

blowtorch bandit strikes again.. hahahaha

in all seriousness, you guys need to PM each other and report your issues to Toyota. Regardless of energy efficient windows and malicious youths with propane.. something is clearly wrong with their injection molding process at a supplier level and they need to be made aware of it for their own good, for your own good, and for all other people who have trucks from that part supplier.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:20 AM   #25
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by majorhavok View Post
Hilarious.. every time someone has this problem (3-4 people now?!?) everyone jumps in and goes, "Damn! that guy with a blowtorch is back.. don't believe me? You just don't know what people are capable of!" lol

in all seriousness, you guys need to PM each other and report your issues to Toyota. Regardless of energy efficient windows and malicious youths with propane.. something is clearly wrong with their injection molding process at a supplier level and they need to be made aware of it for their own good, for your own good, and for all other people who have trucks from that part supplier.
No Way! I believe there is some deranged Sherlock Holmes character running around with a magnifying glass. Obviously has a vendetta against Tacomas. < this is much more believable than a cross country blow torch hooligan.
Old 03-22-2013, 08:59 AM   #26
xyourlocaldjx is on a distinguished road
xyourlocaldjx's Tacoma Gallery
Its from energy efficient wondows or reflection off of chrome semi trailers etc.

Its not just Toyotas.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #27
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

lol. hardly.
Old 03-22-2013, 02:34 PM   #28
Native Son
Cape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shedCape Codder is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jack
Cape Codder's Tacoma Gallery
Similar issues in New England, as seen on Boston News last year

"Melting cars, homes tied to energy-efficient windows",
.............Homeowners across Massachusetts dealing with problem

Quoted from above:
"Windows called low-e glass or low-emittance are energy efficient and even required by some building codes.
But they can also warp inward and act like a magnifying glass, concentrating too much heat on nearby homes and vehicles.
Itís nobodyís fault, but homeowners all over the state are dealing with the problem."

Google Search Results for "high efficiency glass melts siding"

Hot Stuff

Good Luck

CC
Old 03-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #29
Mind = Blown
Loudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shedLoudpedal is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: EOD
Name: Blair
Loudpedal's Tacoma Gallery
Must be why Oz can't get heated mirrors.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:54 PM   #30
FPS-a-holic
Fractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shedFractured is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Corey
Fractured's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post

I'm going to Toyota dealership Saturday and raising hell. Had it for 3 months.

Just a little bit of advice, doing this will usually get you nowhere fast.

When I worked at the dealership, people that had issues like this, but were cool about it- I would jump through hoops to help them.

People that came in "raising hell" to dealership employees that obviously had nothing to do with the manufacturing process of the ABS plastic in the mirrors- always got put on the back burner.

Just my .02 though.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:54 PM   #31
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKDESMO View Post
Give me a break, "I can't park my Tacoma in the sun or it will melt, sorry my pussy truck needs parking TLC"
Quote:

As has been shown in various posts;

1.) It is not a Toyota Problem.
2.) It is not an ABS Plastic problem.
3.) It affects all makes of vehicles and houses and ...
4.) It is a problem caused by the Low E windows acting like a magnifying glass on the plastic.

It would be like parking right up close to a huge fire, then complaining to Toyota because the plastic melted.

Your claims of Toyota using cheap ABS Plastic is totally unfounded.
Old 03-22-2013, 05:38 PM   #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
As has been shown in various posts;

1.) It is not a Toyota Problem.
2.) It is not an ABS Plastic problem.
3.) It affects all makes of vehicles and houses and ...
4.) It is a problem caused by the Low E windows acting like a magnifying glass on the plastic.

It would be like parking right up close to a huge fire, then complaining to Toyota because the plastic melted.

Your claims of Toyota using cheap ABS Plastic is totally unfounded.
Add Jimmyh to the list of poster that are guessing, here are a few of his other comments on the subject:

"The sun did not do that.

Neither Southern California or Waco Texas get up over 212 Degrees F even in the worst summer sun. That was exposed to something very hot. Notice it didn't melt all over, mainly in one area. It looks like someone used a propane torch on it.

I have never seen any ABS Plastic melt in that way from the sun"

I agree. The ABS Plastic doesn't reach the Glass Transition Stage until it gets to ~ 105 degrees C or 212 Degrees F. There would be other damage to the vehicle if the reflection from a window were causing it. That mirror looks burned like a torch or some other concentrated heat source was applied just to that area of the mirror.

Gotta throw the old "Bull Shit Flag" on this story.

Is there any damage in the area besides the mirror? At 212 degrees on the mirror to cause this as if from a reflection there would almost certainly be some paint damage etc somewhere in the vicinity. It appears to be concentrated in just that area.

See my point?

Toyota uses the same ABS Thermoplastic that all mfgs use. No one on this ( or any other forum) has a crystal ball to tell you what happened to your mirror housings. We do not have enough information.

What we do know is:
1. Your mirror housing(s) got burned. Seems concentrated in one area.
2. ABS Plastic reaches glass transition at 212 F.
3. The sun doesn't get this hot on its own ( unless through a magnifying glass etc...)
4. If this was a common phenomenon it would be all over this forum ( and all other Toyota forums) in spades.

jimmyh, you are no expert, don't post like one, show some proof quit guessing and maybe I will change my mind.

Desmo
Old 03-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #33
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Add Jimmyh to the list of poster that are guessing, here are a few of his other comments on the subject:

"The sun did not do that.

Neither Southern California or Waco Texas get up over 212 Degrees F even in the worst summer sun. That was exposed to something very hot. Notice it didn't melt all over, mainly in one area. It looks like someone used a propane torch on it.

I have never seen any ABS Plastic melt in that way from the sun"

I agree. The ABS Plastic doesn't reach the Glass Transition Stage until it gets to ~ 105 degrees C or 212 Degrees F. There would be other damage to the vehicle if the reflection from a window were causing it. That mirror looks burned like a torch or some other concentrated heat source was applied just to that area of the mirror.

Gotta throw the old "Bull Shit Flag" on this story.

Is there any damage in the area besides the mirror? At 212 degrees on the mirror to cause this as if from a reflection there would almost certainly be some paint damage etc somewhere in the vicinity. It appears to be concentrated in just that area.

See my point?

Toyota uses the same ABS Thermoplastic that all mfgs use. No one on this ( or any other forum) has a crystal ball to tell you what happened to your mirror housings. We do not have enough information.

What we do know is:
1. Your mirror housing(s) got burned. Seems concentrated in one area.
2. ABS Plastic reaches glass transition at 212 F.
3. The sun doesn't get this hot on its own ( unless through a magnifying glass etc...)
4. If this was a common phenomenon it would be all over this forum ( and all other Toyota forums) in spades.

jimmyh, you are no expert, don't post like one, show some proof quit guessing and maybe I will change my mind.

Desmo
So you think the torch bandit got him???
Old 03-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #34
Rizzy has a spectacular aura aboutRizzy has a spectacular aura about

Name: Jeff
Rizzy's Tacoma Gallery
xguntherc & I have been talking about this in the Vegas thread, something similar happened to me last July. My truck was parked in a loading dock all day while I was at work. No windows, just white walls all over the place. No idea how this happened. I just assumed vandalism, but it literally looks like a blow torch mark. It wasn't like that during the day, noticed it at 4am when I left work.
Attached Thumbnails
Plastic melting on Tacoma for no reason...-img_3094.jpg  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:34 PM   #35
tosaw is on a distinguished road
tosaw's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fractured View Post
Just a little bit of advice, doing this will usually get you nowhere fast.

When I worked at the dealership, people that had issues like this, but were cool about it- I would jump through hoops to help them.

People that came in "raising hell" to dealership employees that obviously had nothing to do with the manufacturing process of the ABS plastic in the mirrors- always got put on the back burner.

Just my .02 though.

X1,000
Old 03-22-2013, 11:14 PM   #36
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Name: Cory
xguntherc's Tacoma Gallery
Ok I was joking about raising hell at the dealership. I'll be extremely nice and hope they are helpful and can address my problem. I'm not a hotheat. I'm just angry I'm dealing with this on my Tacoma that's 3 months old.

My Chevy Colorado before it parked in the EXACT same spot throughout the entire summer reaching over 105-110 degree's daily here in Vegas, yet had ZERO issues. So while all ABS plastic might be similar, this is obviously a problem Toyota needs to address.

Oh and another thing, there's a huge tree blocking any window reflections where I park, but it is under a metal carport that could somehow be reflecting the sun and heat, but again my Colorado handled it no problem. that junker of a truck.

I've decided this is either a heat issue with the sun, or a chemical in my local car wash. And for the guy saying this is a concentrated problem, the same thing is happening on my grill. So that's two spots.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:47 AM   #37
Jimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shedJimmyh is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: MT1 (SS) retired
Jimmyh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Desmo
It isn't my job to change your mind. I think that it is an issue, it just isn't an issue with the ABS Plastic. It is those Low E windows and concentrated energy.

My truck isn't melting. and it is always in the sun...

Never claimed to be an expert, however I do speak with facts. I am no more guessing than you are. Try reading for a change:

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/silv...mirrors-36556/

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carniv...r-melting.html

http://www.wcvb.com/news/investigati...z/-/index.html

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/lifestyle/yo...s1316609369318

http://inhabitat.com/are-low-e-windo...ighbors-house/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...-toyota-prius/

http://jennstrathman.com/2011/09/20/...ting-on-homes/

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/archives/31628
Old 03-23-2013, 05:54 AM   #38
TOYWERX Grill Sergeant
HomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedHomerTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Craig
HomerTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
you should see what 900* does to it.
Old 03-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #39
[QUOTE=Jimmyh;6633426]It isn't my job to change your mind. I think that it is an issue, it just isn't an issue with the ABS Plastic. It is those Low E windows and concentrated energy.

My truck isn't melting. and it is always in the sun...

Never claimed to be an expert, however I do speak with facts. I am no more guessing than you are. Try reading for a change:

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/silv...mirrors-36556/

http://www.kia-forums.com/kia-carniv...r-melting.html

http://www.wcvb.com/news/investigati...z/-/index.html

http://www.wcpo.com/dpp/lifestyle/yo...s1316609369318

http://inhabitat.com/are-low-e-windo...ighbors-house/

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/...-toyota-prius/

http://jennstrathman.com/2011/09/20/...ting-on-homes/

http://blog.archpaper.com/wordpress/...628[/QUOTE]

It's easy to revise your statements after you look like a fool, a lot harder to admit you were wrong in the first place and you have proven that. Nice try.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:29 AM   #40
"... Intercepting The Localizer"
File IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shedFile IFR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
File IFR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyh View Post
It is those Low E windows and concentrated energy.

Jimmy is right.

Mark, what's up with getting in Jimmy's face on this???

You suffered the same problem, so you should know what the cause is from your own thread on this.