Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Plastic melting on Tacoma for no reason...

Old 03-21-2013, 06:47 PM   #1
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Name: Cory
xguntherc's Tacoma Gallery
Arrow Plastic melting on Tacoma for no reason...

Hey guys. We have been talking about this briefly over in our Vegas thread, but I've got a serious issue with my Tacoma.

My side mirror and grill appear to be melting... Yea, I said melting. It's not even summer yet and hasn't even hit the 110 degree temps. Basically my driver side mirror and grill have been melting. Noticed this about a week ago, then noticed my mirror had the same terrible issue.

I've googled around and it appears it could possibly be energy efficient windows reflecting the sun producing an extra hot reflection (think magnifying glass) and this is an issue for cheap ABS plastic... like what the Tacoma and Prius use. I can't imagine shitty Hyundai's don't have this issue, but my 30k truck would, but what do I know.

Here's a gallery so you can all see the pain I've recently received.
http://imgur.com/a/XxCmo

Here's one for those too lazy to click!
Old 03-21-2013, 06:50 PM   #3
Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Cannon Crew Member
BradyT88's Tacoma Gallery
Holy shit! If it is reflective windows doing it, then the only thing I can think of is do a Satoshi grill and get some sort of metal mirror covers.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #4
First time Taco
xguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nicexguntherc is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WD View Post
Looks like someone took a torch to it...
Yea but it's also on the grill in a random place, and that was a different day. It wasn't a torch, pretty sure. I have absolutely no clue though and would love to hear your thoughts.

I'm going to Toyota dealership Saturday and raising hell. Had it for 3 months.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
First time Taco

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradyT88 View Post
Holy shit! If it is reflective windows doing it, then the only thing I can think of is do a Satoshi grill and get some sort of metal mirror covers.
Metal and chrome is ugly IMO. I'm going all black. haha.
Old 03-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
BradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBradyT88 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
Metal and chrome is ugly IMO. I'm going all black. haha.
Satoshis are usually black, like these:

You could just paint these black too.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Gotta tell ya thats weird as hell, if its from reflective light I'd make sure I parked in the shade, & if not intentional (vandalism) take a good hard look at where you've been parking for an extended time, just seems like if it was from that It'd almost have to be magnified some how to get that hot....just throwing it out there....
Old 03-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Gotta tell ya thats weird as hell, if its from reflective light I'd make sure I parked in the shade, & if not intentional (vandalism) take a good hard look at where you've been parking for an extended time, just seems like if it was from that It'd almost have to be magnified some how to get that hot....just throwing it out there....
Yeah. I am leaning towards vandalism. Someone jealous of your Tacoma maybe?
Old 03-21-2013, 07:16 PM   #9
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
That shit is crazy!!!!!!
Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #10
First time Taco

Yes that shit is crazy.. and upsetting.

the reason I don't think it's vandalism is I live in a really nice gated community, know the people that park near me, and it was the grill first AND then the mirror.

If it was a repeat offender, wouldn't this person come back? I don't know, I really don't know.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
This is not vandalism. Why would someone choose to damge something in such an odd and prohibitive way when a key,egg, brick, etc... Is so much faster AND gives the definitive message inherent to vandalism.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:31 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunhamAll View Post
This is not vandalism. Why would someone choose to damge something in such an odd and prohibitive way when a key,egg, brick, etc... Is so much faster AND gives the definitive message inherent to vandalism.
To be more subtle about it
Old 03-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #13
JoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJoeTacoma02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Veteran
JoeTacoma02's Tacoma Gallery
Sounds like you and this guy have the same problem
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...w-mirrors.html
Old 03-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
First time Taco

Yup saw that.. I'm not parking in the covered area anymore by the windows, for now, and we'll see.
Old 03-21-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
cRaZy oLdmAn
4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed4WD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
4WD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by xguntherc View Post
Yes that shit is crazy.. and upsetting.

the reason I don't think it's vandalism is I live in a really nice gated community, know the people that park near me, and it was the grill first AND then the mirror.

If it was a repeat offender, wouldn't this person come back? I don't know, I really don't know.
C'mon now, you can't be wrapped up in that tight of a cocoon ,shit happens everywhere , what I meant by taking a good hard look at where you're parking maybe sun is hitting some thick glass & reflecting onto your truck at the worst part of the day, for an extended time, maybe a stretch but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunhamAll View Post
I don't put anything past anyone, but if it did turn out to be someone fucking with it in what manner its done isn't the issue, the fact that they're doing it at all , is...
Old 03-21-2013, 08:10 PM   #17
First time Taco

Yea 4WD I'm not naive and I don't really trust anyone, but I really don't think it's anyone doing this. Just how I feel.

I'm thinking it's either a chemical in the car wash I've recently been going to (3 times this month) or sun reflecting off of a window. As Homer said, it would have to get extremely hot and be concentrated..

If it is windows doing this. When it gets 110+ in Vegas in 2 months I can only imagine the damage that would do. It's only been 65-80 lately.
Old 03-22-2013, 03:06 AM   #19
DunhamAll is on a distinguished road
Name: Jordan
DunhamAll's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I don't put anything past anyone, but if it did turn out to be someone fucking with it in what manner its done isn't the issue, the fact that they're doing it at all , is...
You're missing the point. Vandalism carries a signature with it. Whether that be me spray painting an alleyway giving a message that this is my hood, or keying your car to say F you because we got in an argument. Vandalism, in general, usually carries a message. That message would be missed (re:lost) by melting the OP's mirrors. If it were an act, it doesn't carry the signature of vandalism as it leaves us all questioning what actually caused the problem. Yes, this is a simplified answer, but there is zero logic as to why someone would melt some mirrors over a deliberate and obvious action like throwing a brick through a window.

CNet did an article about energy efficient windows causing the melting of siding on adjacent houses in suburbia. there was also a story floating around about some lady threatening suit because her Prius melted in the same way as OP's from energy efficient windows. (i find this ironic that the go green initiatives are attacking each other!). I'm going with this as the cause, mainly because I can't find my tinfoil hat to put on and start blaming aliens, vandals, and other third parties.
Old 03-22-2013, 04:02 AM   #20
StevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud ofStevoNB has much to be proud of
Name: Steve
StevoNB's Tacoma Gallery
I agree with HomerTaco. Just did a quick google search and there's a lot of reports of energy efficient windows melting vinyl siding and the occasional car part.