LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Double Cab Baby Seats, What Fits?

Old 03-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #1
jage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to all
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Double Cab Baby Seats, What Fits?

First off, none of that base clip-infant carrier. We're having twins and they just aren't going to work for us.

So I'm looking for what convertible car seats actually fit in a double cab as infant carriers. I'll be going out to test fit myself once I have time to hit the stores, but I figured any experience with 2nd Gen Dcabs would be useful!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd I have a baby coming in July and curious as to what's going to work! When are your babies due?
Oh and congrats!
Old 03-22-2013, 12:18 AM   #3
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
We've had the base, clip in style in my tacoma, but I just moved to a recaro convertible one. Seems huge in the taco, but does fit. And that's right, it is a recaro carseat. Nuff said.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
Onetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shedOnetime27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joe
Onetime27's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by benbacher View Post
We've had the base, clip in style in my tacoma, but I just moved to a recaro convertible one. Seems huge in the taco, but does fit. And that's right, it is a recaro carseat. Nuff said.
I've seen those they look sick! Are they a lot more expensive then others?
Old 03-22-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
We paid. 250 for ours I think? Not too bad, considering they had some for 600
Old 03-22-2013, 03:49 AM   #7
LennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to allLennyTheLip is a name known to all
Law Enforcement:
LennyTheLip's Tacoma Gallery
I've found that pretty much all fit, some are bigger than others. One of the best things to do is go to a Babys R Us if you have one nearby by, or other big baby retail store, and ask to test fit the floor models in your truck. They shouldn't have a problem with it, thats what I did when I needed a new seat for mine. good luck!
Old 03-22-2013, 07:19 AM   #8
jage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to all
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetime27 View Post
Sub'd I have a baby coming in July and curious as to what's going to work! When are your babies due?
Oh and congrats!
Congrats to you too. August, which in Twins means July.
Old 04-03-2013, 11:07 AM   #9
easler24 is on a distinguished road
Name: Josh
easler24's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd. I just got a safety 1st complete air sent to my house. Tried it in my DCSB and it basically will now allow for a 3 foot tall, 50 person to sit in my passenger front seat now. I've gotta get something different, either that or have the seat forward facing, which I don't want to do.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:55 AM   #10
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by easler24 View Post
Sub'd. I just got a safety 1st complete air sent to my house. Tried it in my DCSB and it basically will now allow for a 3 foot tall, 50 person to sit in my passenger front seat now. I've gotta get something different, either that or have the seat forward facing, which I don't want to do.
Did you try putting it in the center position?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #11
gwos25 is on a distinguished road
Name: Gary
gwos25's Tacoma Gallery
If you have 1. Just about any will fit in the center position in a rear facing application. Just about any 2 should fit in a front facing setup. To get two in rear facing, you'll have to look for seats that are short front to back, unless you're very short and small yourself. I had a Safety First Air Protect something, rear facing, with clip in base, and with it installed behind the passenger seat I could barely squeeze in the front. No hope in driving if it was behind the driver seat. Try before you buy.
Gary
Old 04-04-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
ANoodle is on a distinguished road

Name: Adam
ANoodle's Tacoma Gallery
I fit the base in first with the clips and seat belt, rear facing with the mirror to be able to see the baby. For precious cargo like babies I wanted to make sure they were not moving.
I know have the recaro seat for my toddler but we have another on the way too and I will be doing the same thing. Making sure if seats perfect.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:51 AM   #13
Superdavert is on a distinguished road

Name: Dave
Superdavert's Tacoma Gallery
I had a Graco infant carrier and base on the passenger side and my brother who's 6'4" fit ok. Knees on the glove box, but not bad. Now I have a Graco convertible and it has to go in the center with it rear facing. With it on the passenger side, my 5'1" wife was uncomfortable.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:02 AM   #14
Spitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the roughSpitfire is a jewel in the rough
Navy: Surface Warfare
Spitfire's Tacoma Gallery
Diono Radian RXT. It is a premium seat with a narrow footprint.
http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-C...rds=radian+rxt

You can put 3 of them wide in the back of a Kia. We started with a crappy Graco snugride that was wide as all hell. This seat is the bees-knees. My neighbor bought two for his kids to go in the back of his Jeep.

They are heavy duty, airline compatible, and the straps are easily adjusted. Highly recommended. Also, it functions as a booster seat. So it should be the only car seat you ever need.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:06 AM   #15
Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983
Pugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shedPugga is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Pugga's Tacoma Gallery
Well shit... sub'd for when the time comes
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #16
10DC4x4 is on a distinguished road
10DC4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Sub'd
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #17
l SWAY l is a splendid one to beholdl SWAY l is a splendid one to beholdl SWAY l is a splendid one to beholdl SWAY l is a splendid one to beholdl SWAY l is a splendid one to beholdl SWAY l is a splendid one to beholdl SWAY l is a splendid one to behold

Name: Sway
l SWAY l's Tacoma Gallery
I'm going with the Britax Travel System so all I have to do is buy two bases to clip into. One for my taco and one for my wifes car. Even though the original post states no clip in designs, there are others carseats Britax offeres that are not the clip base design incase people might want to check them out too.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
batmobile will become famous soon enoughbatmobile will become famous soon enough
batmobile's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by l SWAY l View Post
I'm going with the Britax Travel System so all I have to do is buy two bases to clip into. One for my taco and one for my wifes car. Even though the original post states no clip in designs, there are others carseats Britax offeres that are not the clip base design incase people might want to check them out too.

http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats
I just picked up the Britax B Safe. Fitmet is good. The base is smaller than a lot of the other car seats we looked at, a little bit pricier. But its built good. Definitely recommend.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #20
HDTacoma is on a distinguished road
Name: HD
HDTacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Diono Radian RXT. It is a premium seat with a narrow footprint.
http://www.amazon.com/Diono-Radian-C...rds=radian+rxt

You can put 3 of them wide in the back of a Kia. We started with a crappy Graco snugride that was wide as all hell. This seat is the bees-knees. My neighbor bought two for his kids to go in the back of his Jeep.

They are heavy duty, airline compatible, and the straps are easily adjusted. Highly recommended. Also, it functions as a booster seat. So it should be the only car seat you ever need.

Congrats and good luck!

The Diono Radian's are great. I have the Radian 120 (the RXT has the headwings while the 120 does not), for my son who is 2.5 in my DC. It can go rear facing then convert to the forward facing with 5 point harness up to 80 lbs and be a booster up to 120 lbs. Have heard it is a waste for a booster though, but for RF and FF, it should be fine.

What you'll find with other RF (rear facing) convertible seats is that you may be limited on weight when switching to FF (forward facing). With the Radian's you really won't have that issue and can keep them RF for quite a while, and the longer time RF the better from a safety point of view.

Later on down the road, the headwings on the RTX are supposed to be safer, but I went without them with the R120 since for taller kids their shoulders can hit. My son is in the 90th+ percentile for height and weight, so that will probably be a concern for him.

We do have a newborn and use the Keyfit 22 clip in with base, the same one we used with our son. She is behind the passengers seat with my son behind the drivers seat in the Radian. Could put her in the middle, but not sure I trust my 2.5 year old that close to her yet (he is slowly accepting not being an only child...).

You've dismissed using those, but we really like the clip in and go system. If it is space behind the seats, I understand. But the ease of getting them in and out, not to mention being able to strap them into the seat while inside is a big plus. Think of a pouring rain and hanging halfway out of the truck trying to get them strapped in, getting drenched in the process! Not to mention easier to carry them around once you get out of the car. Once the babies get bigger though, they carriers do get heavy.

Once again, good luck!