Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner

Old 03-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner

Thought I'd pass along where I ended up installing a brake controller in my 2013. I won't need to do much towing - probably only a couple times a year, so I wanted to install the brake controller in a way that was least visible when not in use.

Basically, I installed the controller in the driver side left-hand coin tray that is also the removable fuse box access panel.

Only real work needed is to cut an opening in the bottom of the removable coin tray in which the controller cable will pass through.

Velcro tape was placed on the top/bottom of the inside of the coin tray and on the top/bottom of the controller.

Here are the photos. Feel free to ask any questions.

- Spindifferent
Attached Thumbnails
Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-1.-coin-tray-fuse-access.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-2.-coin-tray-connector-cable.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-3.-coin-tray-removed.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-4.-access-panel-connector-cable.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-5.-controller-cable.jpg  

Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-6.-controller-installed-coin-tray.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-7.-controller-velcro-top.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-8.-controller-velcro-bottom.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-9.-primusiq.jpg   Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-10.-3040-p-kit.jpg  

Brake controller install location in 2013 PreRunner-11.-velcro.jpg  
Old 08-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #2
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
Name: Rob
romafern's Tacoma Gallery
The P3 would not work the way you fitted yours.

I just don't have the heart to mutilate my Taco....yet....
Old 08-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #3
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DoorDing's Tacoma Gallery
OP, that looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
The P3 would not work the way you fitted yours.

I just don't have the heart to mutilate my Taco....yet....
I agree. I considered using that location, but I think mounting inside the cover would make it difficult to access the manual lever.

I mounted my Tekonsha P3 to the exterior of the same cover, using the quick release mount. It's a good location for me, but it's worth checking to see if you'll bump it getting in & out. I was a little concerned that the cover wouldn't stay closed, but I haven't had any problems. I like this location because it's easy to access for manual control, and it only requires making two small holes in the cover, and they're hidden under the handhold anyway. It'd be simple to replace the cover if I ever wanted those holes to completely disappear.

Rob, I can post a few photos later if you want.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:21 PM   #4
romafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really niceromafern is just really nice
Army: 66H8A5K- 9a     so if you like visiting my page here, let me know what where you looking for.
go for it, but I can't mutilate my taco.... not yet...
Old 08-28-2013, 06:26 PM   #5
Backdoor Commentator
DoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shedDoorDing is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by romafern View Post
go for it, but I can't mutilate my taco.... not yet...
It's two 1/8" holes in the handle portion. They're hard to see, and the cover can be replaced in seconds. I know it's The Precious, but I'll bet you could suffer that.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
tdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the roughtdunc is a jewel in the rough
tdunc's Tacoma Gallery
I know it's not complete yet, but here's what I'm doing
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...tallation.html
Old 08-28-2013, 07:25 PM   #7
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
my p3 is in the glove box attached with Velcro. works great. its out of the way and easy access if I need to make adjustments
Old 08-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #8
Backdoor Commentator

The manual control is pretty useful for arresting sway. I wouldn't like having it in there.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #9
Elmosaurus is on a distinguished road
Elmosaurus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fyremanpat View Post
my p3 is in the glove box attached with Velcro. works great. its out of the way and easy access if I need to make adjustments
...and, not really accessible to the driver if the manual brake lever is needed in an emergency??

j/k, but not really.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:42 PM   #10
^^^^^^^^ postings #8 and #9 x 6.67 trillion!!!!!!

You better hope you never have to reach for it
Old 08-29-2013, 04:37 AM   #12
fyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud offyremanpat has much to be proud of

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
considering the pretty low tow capacity of our trucks Im pretty sure that wont be a problem...
Old 08-29-2013, 06:00 AM   #13
KB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shedKB Voodoo is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Chad
KB Voodoo's Tacoma Gallery
I need to leave that tray available for gum.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:31 AM   #14
Spindifferent has a spectacular aura aboutSpindifferent has a spectacular aura about
Spindifferent's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoorDing View Post
It's a good location for me, but it's worth checking to see if you'll bump it getting in & out.
Thanks, all.

I do sometimes lightly bump the controller when I'm getting out of the truck. I have long legs, so I have to remember that the controller is there when I get out.

The other issue is that the velcro works really well, so it can be some effort to get the controller out of the tray. One option would be to only put the velcro on one side of the inside of the tray instead of top and bottom like I did.