1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Check Engine light glitch

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cookee62, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:09 PM
    cookee62

cookee62 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    URD SS, URD Y-Pipe, DTLT Headers, 3" URD Cat Back, Fox 2.5 CO, TC UCA, Fox Rear Resi, SS brake Lines, All pro 1.5" leafs, Halo Projector Headlights, WE Bead-lock Rims, 33 BFG AT, No Sway Bar
    Ok So heres the deal.

About a 2 years ago I added a DTLT Headers, URD Y-pipe and URD Exhuast. With this set up I also bought the URD 02 Sim to help the ECU know the truck think its "stock." Well about 1 year ago I took off the y-pipe and installed the factory one back on because it was too raspy. Well I alway have a check engine light on now. I have taken it to my dealership and at first they said it was the coils were going bad so 2 were replaced.

This cleared the check engine light for 9 miles and it came back on. The code was again for a random misfire. So took it back in and again 1 coil was replaced. I get my truck again and again the light came on but this time was a ear 02 sensor code. So now I'm thinking ok maybe I should take out the URD 02 Sim.

The weird thing is that sometimes when I decide to drive my truck I will get a code of random misfire and it will run like shit. I then turn off the truck and turn it back on and it willl run great with the check engine light is still on but this time the code is Rear 02 Bank. ---> Point is my warranty is about to run out on this and I'm thinking now it could be the ECU??

Has anyone had this problem? I have spent the last 4 weeks with my truck constantly back and forth in the shop but my deductibles are killing me and still with a truck that sometimes decides to run good and others has a misfire and feels like the truck is going to shake a salt shaker. I have taken it to the dealership 3 different times but because it doesn't do it everytime they cant diagnose it and then they say bring it back when its misfiring. Anyone have this problem or a solution?

Should I take out the o2 sim or is it the ECU problem? Or replace the rest of the coils?

Any help is appreciated Thanks

2. Mar 23, 2013 at 9:29 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    If your exhaust is back to stock and you no longer need the O2 sim, then remove the aftermarket parts and see if the problem clears up.

3. Mar 24, 2013 at 6:13 AM
    miniceptor86

miniceptor86 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    McGregor,IA
    Vehicle:
    07 Speedway Blue Prerunner Dbl cab
    TRD sport exhaust and cold air intake, nerf and bull bar, RideRide, ProEFX towing mirrors, BakFlip F1 trifold tonneau
    You've been going back to fix the same problem and you have to pay the deductible each time?

4. Mar 24, 2013 at 7:57 AM
    cookee62

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    URD SS, URD Y-Pipe, DTLT Headers, 3" URD Cat Back, Fox 2.5 CO, TC UCA, Fox Rear Resi, SS brake Lines, All pro 1.5" leafs, Halo Projector Headlights, WE Bead-lock Rims, 33 BFG AT, No Sway Bar
    Its not completely back to stock. I still have the URD exhaust. I just took off the URD Y-Pipe and put the normal pipe back on.

5. Mar 24, 2013 at 7:59 AM
    cookee62

Member:
    Lake Mary, FL
    Vehicle:
    06 DBL Cab
    Yea and no. The check engine light comes on and he repair is a coil so I pay the deductible. light clears I drive 10 miles comes back on. check code random misfire another coil gets replaced but because its not the same one its a new deductible. and over and over so far.

6. Mar 24, 2013 at 12:22 PM
    JKD

JKD Well-Known Member

Member:
    I would make them test drive it 20 miles before they returned it to me.

Products Discussed in

To Top