1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Engine compartment noise

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cyclonerider2, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Mar 24, 2013 at 8:19 AM
    cyclonerider2

cyclonerider2 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Youngstown, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    PreRunner
    I've got a 2010 V6 with 51,000 miles on it. Lately I've been hearing a noise that seems to follow RPMs. I'm thinking a bad bearing in something like the alternator, air conditioning compressor, tension idler or belt. But, it doesn't have a metalic sound. I remember my old Tundra had a noise and I changed the belt which fixed that problem. But this noise seems different. It's hard to explain but I thought I'd post to see if this might be something that others have already experienced.
    How many miles (tipically) before needing to change the belt? If it's due for that I could change it and at that time be able to freely spin all things that spin to see if there is a bad bearing on one of those components. I seem to remember taking apart my idler/tensioner on my Tundra and regreasing that assembly. Any wisdom would be appreciated.:)

2. Mar 24, 2013 at 8:39 AM
    fixer5000

fixer5000 the logical one

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 4runner limited in nautical blue
    good rule of thumb for serpentine belts is 60 thousand miles. its cheap insurance considering it turns everything under the hood and if it breaks youre done. take it off and check the pulleys at least...i would ...nothing to lose

Products Discussed in

To Top