Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Any thoughts on URD CAI to AFE CAI?

Old 03-24-2013, 07:44 PM   #1
13Tacoma is on a distinguished road

Law Enforcement:
13Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Any thoughts on URD CAI to AFE CAI?

Im looking at getting a CAI. I like AFE but they currently don't make one for the 13' then stumbled upon URD. I don't know much about URD and wasn't sure if having that filter just behind grill was a good idea with rain etc. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks
Old 03-25-2013, 07:35 AM   #2

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Tacoma View Post
Im looking at getting a CAI. I like AFE but they currently don't make one for the 13' then stumbled upon URD. I don't know much about URD and wasn't sure if having that filter just behind grill was a good idea with rain etc. Any thoughts would be great! Thanks

Noone has any thoughts?
Old 03-25-2013, 10:51 AM   #3
ouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedouyin2000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Royal Canadian Air Force: Mobile Support Equipment Operator
Name: Ryan
ouyin2000's Tacoma Gallery
Lol...

The stock air intake is "cold air". It takes cold air in from the wheel well. The only way to go about it is to move it to in front of the radiator like the URD one you're talking about. If you don't like the idea of water and crap getting in it, then be happy with what you have. Either way you will not notice an increase in MPG or HP.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:39 AM   #4
Lurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shedLurkin is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lurkin's Tacoma Gallery
The URD is a good intake, if you take into consideration that all the intakes add a few HP, but that HP doesn't show up until 3-4K+. So for daily driving, probably won't notice much 'cept noise. The URD can be installed with the filter open, with a shield, or with a sock. Right now I have the URD with the shield and the MAF Cali. I like this combination. I have run the aFe on my 09, and didn't like the low rpm noises I was getting.

Do not run the URD if you plan to go through deep water.

Also, since you have a 13 I think that you have a few extra steps to do on a URD install.

aFe does not have a documented install, but if you search around there are instructions to relocate the emissions pump that was added in 13 so that the aFe will fit.

Also there is a boxed intake being sold for the 13, but I can't think of the brand right now, search it up.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #5
anethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shedanethema is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: J
anethema's Tacoma Gallery
Ya not sure where but there is at least one thread on here of someone hydrolocking/grenading their engine with the URD intake by driving through a deep puddle in the rain.

Here is one:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...yesterday.html

And there was another just driving through a big puddle on the street.

URD is about the only intake that could provide any slight gains over stock, and for me it is just too dangerous IMO.
Old 03-26-2013, 01:57 PM   #6

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurkin View Post
The URD is a good intake, if you take into consideration that all the intakes add a few HP, but that HP doesn't show up until 3-4K+. So for daily driving, probably won't notice much 'cept noise. The URD can be installed with the filter open, with a shield, or with a sock. Right now I have the URD with the shield and the MAF Cali. I like this combination. I have run the aFe on my 09, and didn't like the low rpm noises I was getting.

Do not run the URD if you plan to go through deep water.

Also, since you have a 13 I think that you have a few extra steps to do on a URD install.

aFe does not have a documented install, but if you search around there are instructions to relocate the emissions pump that was added in 13 so that the aFe will fit.

Also there is a boxed intake being sold for the 13, but I can't think of the brand right now, search it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anethema View Post
Ya not sure where but there is at least one thread on here of someone hydrolocking/grenading their engine with the URD intake by driving through a deep puddle in the rain.

Here is one:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...yesterday.html

And there was another just driving through a big puddle on the street.

URD is about the only intake that could provide any slight gains over stock, and for me it is just too dangerous IMO.
Thanks for the info. Don't plan on blasting through any puddles but you never know and that was a thought with the URD being open up front. Thanks and Happy Wheeling!
Old 03-26-2013, 02:06 PM   #7
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
You're going to find out real quick you won't get a whole lot of helpful responses about cai's on this site. Most people are going to tell you don't bother, they're useless, etc. but there are a few helpful threads about them. The urd requires you to extend the maf wires so that's something to think about before buying if you aren't good with soldering and electrical mods. The afe is probably the best intake available that doesn't require any electrical mods but like others said you need to relocate your air pump. I think the airaid intake is the only one available specifically for your new truck.
Old 03-26-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
Banned
SoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSoCaltaco65 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
SoCaltaco65's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13Tacoma View Post
Welcome to TW,
As previously stated the factory one is a CAI, there are few threads floating around that have input and info on this subject.
Search results:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=8650331

Good luck.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:59 AM   #10

Law Enforcement:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
You're going to find out real quick you won't get a whole lot of helpful responses about cai's on this site. Most people are going to tell you don't bother, they're useless, etc. but there are a few helpful threads about them. The urd requires you to extend the maf wires so that's something to think about before buying if you aren't good with soldering and electrical mods. The afe is probably the best intake available that doesn't require any electrical mods but like others said you need to relocate your air pump. I think the airaid intake is the only one available specifically for your new truck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCaltaco65 View Post
Welcome to TW,
As previously stated the factory one is a CAI, there are few threads floating around that have input and info on this subject.
Search results:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/sea...archid=8650331

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konaborne View Post
URD has a rain sleeve that helps protect the filter from the rain
Thanks for info. Yea I have seen Airaid, just wasn't sure about. Pretty good with basic wiring and stuff so I guess if I went with the URD that wouldn't be an issue. Happy Wheeling!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #12
Supercharged Mileage Master
MikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enoughMikeyLikesIt will become famous soon enough
MikeyLikesIt's Tacoma Gallery
AFE Stage 2 SI (Sealed Intake)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:39 AM   #13
"I'd Rather Live, Than Live Forever"
Moose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMoose1988 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
Moose1988's Tacoma Gallery
not sure if TRD has their intakes available for the 12+ models yet.. but highly recommend those if possible. still a true CAI as it draws from the fender. i replaced my AFE stage II with a 2nd gen TRD. couldnt be happier. if not.. then just throw in a AFE drop in and call it day.