Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Bed Cover VS. Camper Shell

Old 03-24-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
BryanWhiteTRD is on a distinguished road
BryanWhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Bed Cover VS. Camper Shell

Looking for some thoughts on bed cover vs camper shell. Starting to narrow it down between the Snugtop Rebbel or Toyota G4 Elite Fold-a-Cover - 6ft 1in. Can not find pricing on the Snugtop without contacting a dealer. The Fold-a-Cover is $764.

Will be going on a white 2013 Tacoma TRD Baja. Also live in Tahoe with sunny summers and a lot of snow in the winter (except the last 2 years). I take my mountain bike around in summer and skis in the winter.

What are pro/cons/thoughts? Also read if you put a shelling the truck you can register it as an SUV vs truck in CA. That anyone would pay for the shell over the years.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
never summer
singlefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shedsinglefin is one of the sharper tools in the shed

singlefin's Tacoma Gallery
Considering you MTB and ski I'd go with a shell. A shell wouldn't change your registration; CA will still view it as a truck.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:42 PM   #3
BDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really niceBDJ is just really nice

Name: Brandon
BDJ's Tacoma Gallery
I put an undercover flex on my truck and love it. Have access to entire bed when needed and a hard cover all the other times.
Old 03-24-2013, 08:58 PM   #4
jage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to alljage is a name known to all
jage's Tacoma Gallery
Bed cover is the way I'd go, but I'm fine with bare bed. Having a custom topper on my old fullsize got old when I wasn't camping.

Also have you checked used? I remember seeing several deals when I first got my taco.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #5
TNFireGuy is on a distinguished road
Firefighter:
TNFireGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Had a tonneau on my last truck but when it came time, i looked at everything on the market and went with a ARE topper. The extra space and being able to lock it helps, and helps keep everything dry and out of the weather.
Old 03-24-2013, 09:04 PM   #6
claymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant futureclaymore has a brilliant future

Name: Clay
claymore's Tacoma Gallery
I have the Backflip G2. It is ok for concealing stuff in your bed and keeping the weather off. I find it to be more of a pain in the butt then good. I am wanting to get a shell. I would like to be able to sleep in the bed on quick weekend camping trips. If you got bikes that you pack around, I would go with the shell. There will be a big price differance. Probably double. Good Luck!
Old 03-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
I went the snugtop rebel route, mostly for the dogs, but I love it. Custom truck accessories in Reno are great to deal with, that's where I bought mine.
Also I have read on here where people have been able to register their truck differently with a shell and it was cheaper.
Read here on reg. Stuff. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-dmv-fees.html
Old 03-25-2013, 03:15 AM   #8
scottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the roughscottw1 is a jewel in the rough
Army: 1BCT, 101 ABN DIV
Name: Scott
scottw1's Tacoma Gallery
Had a shell on my old Silverado and loved it. Kept it on during the fall and winter (hunting) and took it off while I was fishing in the summer and spring. Loved it. I'm not a fan of the covers myself.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
BryanWhiteTRD is on a distinguished road
BryanWhiteTRD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by skidooman View Post
I went the snugtop rebel route, mostly for the dogs, but I love it. Custom truck accessories in Reno are great to deal with, that's where I bought mine.
Also I have read on here where people have been able to register their truck differently with a shell and it was cheaper.
Read here on reg. Stuff. http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/off...-dmv-fees.html

Thanks for the info. Will contact them to see what their price is. Made up my mind I want a camper (if the price is right).
Old 03-25-2013, 08:43 PM   #10
Banned
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I just added a snugtop rebel, with pet screens, drop down slider, carpet headliner and 12 volt light.. $1700 installed.
one note.. after geting mine installed over an hour from my house. I found a bad leak on the rear window/ door seal.. there was a place where the seal was not attached.. I had to go back.. and its still leaking. so check it with a hose before driving away.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:19 AM   #11
Prerunners Work
PSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shedPSJ is one of the sharper tools in the shed

PSJ's Tacoma Gallery
I am a big fan of camper shells- I have had one on just about every truck I have owned. But the price has doubled on them since the last one I bought. I do not camp out of one anymore, do not drag a dog around anymore, etc., etc., so I really have not needed one with this truck. But I do miss the extra lockable, weather proof storage area. That being said, Diamondback makes a tonneau cover that has caught my eye. The LT version, or entry level cover they say is not rated to haul on top like their other covers. But for bikes, skis, surfboards, etc., no worries.
I plan on mounting the bike mounts over the door of the tonneau cover near the cab, with the bikes mounted side to side. That way, with the bikes on top, I still have access to the bed via the rear door of the tonneau. This cover seems to be more secure then most other tonneau covers on the market, as well as camper shells for that matter, and at $899 with free shipping I feel its a great deal. My two cents
Old 03-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
fireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud offireroad has much to be proud of
fireroad's Tacoma Gallery
For mountain biking and skiing/snowboarding a camper shell is the way to go. In addition to all the extra weather-proof, lockable storage you have a spot for all your wet and muddy gear and a place to sit and change out of the elements. It's nice to be able to sit under the camper shell and change out clothes... or wait out a storm... or get out of the hot sun and not have to worry about getting the interior wet or dirty.

Be prepared for sticker shock on shell prices, they just went up again this past Jan. I got a Leer 100XR with carpet headliner, front drop down slider, pet screens, and roof rack (track only) for around $1870 installed. Leer/Century regularly run some promo for a free headliner or cash off. Leer and Century use the same molds, just slightly different options. If I was a smarter man I could have saved an additional $100 by going with the same Century model and would have been just as happy.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #13
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireroad View Post
...Be prepared for sticker shock on shell prices, ...
Keep an eye on Craigslist and other sites, I got my Leer 100R for $500 used and it was in pretty good shape - just needed to re-seal the rack mounts and fix a screen.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:08 AM   #14
emeraldtriangle is on a distinguished road
emeraldtriangle's Tacoma Gallery
I also have a shell. I shopped around and got a perfect one for 100 dollars.I sanded it down and prepped it then my dad shot it with the sprayer.

Its great for many things, but Im starting to get tired of it. No matter how much I air it out it smells like hell in there. I also feel it looks like an old man truck. If It had cooler wheels and tires it wouldn't look like that..but for now it does.
I can't fit many big things back there...we almost brought a couch back from Nevada but it wouldn't fit because of the shell. My quad won't fit now either. I got it for my dogs mostly, and for winter too. Idk...I really just want it off.

I think its nuts paying so much for a brand new one, so shopping around and searching for a few months led me to the right one. I even went to many used camper shell places but no one had one for my truck because it was so popular.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
I'm your huckleberry
skidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shedskidooman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

skidooman's Tacoma Gallery
Don't know if you saw this one.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy...05-tacoma.html
Old 03-26-2013, 11:41 AM   #16
Mason04 is a splendid one to beholdMason04 is a splendid one to beholdMason04 is a splendid one to beholdMason04 is a splendid one to beholdMason04 is a splendid one to beholdMason04 is a splendid one to beholdMason04 is a splendid one to behold
Mason04's Tacoma Gallery
I have become a big fan of my Pace Edwards bedlocker. It is electric and can stop in any position via a remote control. I too had a camper for many years, but wanted the clean look of my truck back. I highly recommend this model.
Attached Thumbnails
Bed Cover VS. Camper Shell-taco-pace-pic.jpg  
Old 03-27-2013, 04:51 AM   #17
Stay lifted my friends !
Wattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shedWattapunk is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Uncle K
Wattapunk's Tacoma Gallery
If you are mainly using it for hauling bikes/skiis, I would go with a bedcover. It would be a nuisance to climb in/out to mount the bikes or grab supplies vs. jumping in a bed. May lose a little MPG with a camper shell due to weight along with rear view vision. Been happy with my Bakflip.
Old 03-27-2013, 05:16 AM   #18
NYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant futureNYNURSE has a brilliant future
Name: Joe
NYNURSE's Tacoma Gallery
Shell allows you to carry a large amount of stuff and keep it covered, but like an SUV, it is visible. Shell also obstructs your rear and side vision. I think they look better.
Tonneau allows you to carry less stuff, but keeps it out of sight. My Leer tonneau is about as weather proof as it gets and does not obstruct any visibility. Covers get dirty and wet. If you wear nice clean clothes, opening and closing a cover becomes an issue. Love my tonneau but miss my shell.