Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

F@#%@#g abs almost killed me

Old 03-25-2013, 11:45 AM   #22
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
It'd be cool if someone figured out how to make it less sensitive.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #23
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
I would like to instal an ABS off switch but I'm afraid that might get me into a world of trouble with insurance if I was ever in an accident.
Old 03-25-2013, 11:57 AM   #24
Out fer a Rip eh Bud
VanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shedVanCity4x is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: DJ
VanCity4x's Tacoma Gallery
Had same problem, cost me 2k. Wet roads, person in front slasmmed on brakes, to avoid a yellow light no less

Abs kicked in and i slowly rolled into into them. No damage to the taco, probably would have been less with theirs if it wasnt a shit box pontiac, whole rear caved in.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #25
08TacoTrD will become famous soon enough
08TacoTrD's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Not a fan on snow
Same here.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #26
Country101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to allCountry101 is a name known to all
Country101's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, it's about killed me several times. Dont hit a reflector on the center line while turning either.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:22 PM   #27
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Country101 View Post
Yep, it's about killed me several times. Dont hit a reflector on the center line while turning either.
Indeed. It seems that bumps set the ABS off terribly. The few times on wet pavement have been on rippled pavement at busy intersections.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #29
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherreject View Post
I have read through the other threads on here with people complaining about the abs on these trucks and always dismissed it thinking they were driving to fast for the conditions.
Well this morning i had to drive home in some snow, the roads were in the process of being treated, there was about a half inch of slush on the road.
I was already driving with caution, well below the speed limit.
Approached a stop sign and began braking well before the normal braking point. I drive this same route everyday.
The road is flat, a t intersection, a one way stop sign for my side.
The abs activated with very little brake pressure, the truck rolled through the stop sign at about 10 mph into the path of a oncoming 18 wheeler, he was going down hill and would have had no chance to stop.
When i saw that i was about to become his new hood ornament i accelerated then came to a stop in a some grass on the other side of the intersection.
My tires are goodyear wrangler ats with about good tread.

I drive in snow when ever we have any, everything from front wheel drive cars, to a rear wheel drive crown vic, to a grand cherokee and now the taco. I have never experianced an abs system like this before, it is very sensitive.
Stay safe, i have to go clean the mess out of my pants after this incident
Really? 1/2 inch of slush, the ABS kicks in at 10 mph and you can't stop? I call BS on this.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:35 PM   #30
14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all14U2NV is a name known to all
14U2NV's Tacoma Gallery
ABS is designed to allow the driver to steer and change direction under braking conditions. If your wheels are locked up you will not be able to steer around potential hazards. ABS was NOT designed to make you stop faster.

I lived a bulk of my life in the snow belt. The Tacoma may have very sensitive ABS system, but I have had several vehicles kick on ABS while on snow and the system will never let you come to a stop until it finally detects a surface with more traction or you hit something.

If you spend a lot of time in snow and ice conditions, the best thing you can do is get dedicated snow tires. They are designed to provide increased traction in extreme cold, snow and ice conditions. As a general rule, all-terrain tires make horrible snow tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:44 PM   #31
Douchebag, or just douche if we're friends
monkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shedmonkeyface is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Signal Corps
monkeyface's Tacoma Gallery
1/2 inch of slush at 10 mph my ass. Don't make me laugh. Load of BS.

I don't know what this constant meme is with the ABS. I live in Colorado, had to brake plenty times in snow and ice, and it works just fine for me. I feel some sliding, I pop the clutch in and brake down just fine.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:06 PM   #32
When up to your nose in shit, keep your mouth shut
CorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shedCorrosiveTendency is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nathan S.
CorrosiveTendency's Tacoma Gallery
Maybe it's just a stiffer suspension on so many of our trucks. Which makes the bumps, so prevalent on our wonderfully maintained roads (PA: memories last a lifetime, alignments 25 miles), feel a lot worse and cause a wheel hop. The wheel hop, while on the brakes will momentarily stop the wheel, causing the ABS to kick in. I have experience it on dry pavement approaching a stop sign. I hit an expansion joint, the ABS sensed that the wheel stopped and 'Whirrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr' Kept on rolling. Just hammer that pedal to the floor. It is one of the strongest parts on any vehicle.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #33
Kylie's dad
WilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shedWilsonTheDog is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
WilsonTheDog's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Get real winter tires.
THIS.

ABS mod illegal = No (in the US). However, I can see someone using it against you in a civil case.

Personally, I wouldn't disable ABS on any vehicle, including the ones I owned the 29 years I lived in NJ, but that's just me,
Old 03-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #34
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
This thread strikes me as funny because generally I've seen these threads going the opposite way. "Oh you just don't know how to drive!"

You're right though, ABS blows in these trucks!
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #35
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #36
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
I'm not going to blame the drivers neither the trucks. The ABS has been fine, unless it literally is broken.. give ABS something to work with! TRACTION, ABS cant work for you w/o it.
You don't have to buy a winter tire like blizzaks , maybe get an ASR, AT or MT with severe weather rating, then air down just a bit in winter. Suddenly you never remember ABS until you hear it a thread. This doesn't mean you will stop, just like summer, but they sure help.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #37
kingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shedkingston73 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kingston73's Tacoma Gallery
I don't know what I'm doing differently from the rest of you but I've never had an abs issue. It really makes me wonder if its the tires you guys have, I've got ms2's ... Maybe a lack of tire traction adds to the touchy abs? I'm not blaming anybody but I really don't understand this.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:30 PM   #38
Stormtrooper Corps
Alaskan toy is on a distinguished road

Name: Steve
Alaskan toy's Tacoma Gallery
Interesting...

ABS pumps the brakes for you faster than a human could manually, though a human can stop quicker if you know how much pressure to apply just before the tires lockup and activate the ABS.

Driving around town, I haven't had ABS activate for any reason. The only time it has kicked on is on a hill by my home that is always pure ice and everyone has issues with it.

Maybe I'm just lucky and got the one truck with functioning ABS.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:32 PM   #39
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingston73 View Post
I don't know what I. Ding differently from the rest of you but I've never had an abs issue. It really makes me wonder if its the tires you guys have, I've got ms2's ... Maybe a lack of tire traction adds to the touchy abs? I'm not blaming anybody but I really don't understand this.
I haven't had any ABS issues either [knock on wood] - and I have crappy dunlops - even though there really not that crappy - they've been good so far in the rain and snow. . . just not killer tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #40
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe ....
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxamillion2345 View Post
This thread strikes me as funny because generally I've seen these threads going the opposite way. "Oh you just don't know how to drive!"
Wait for it