Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

F@#%@#g abs almost killed me

Old 03-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #41
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

EatMyTacomaDust's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OZ-T View Post
Wait for it
Actually, it already happened and I'm the guilty party. I must be getting really good at this West Coast Politically Correct Insulting Thing. . . No one even noticed - YEAH!

jk - but seriously, don't brake on ice and snow, use engine compression. . .
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #42
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Ex Navy. subs
Tacoyota's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by EatMyTacomaDust View Post
Actually, it already happened and I'm the guilty party. I must be getting really good at this West Coast Politically Correct Insulting Thing. . . No one even noticed - YEAH!

You likely apologize for not holding the door too, right?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:48 PM   #43
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:

Not braking and using compression is a great strategy , not always possible though
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #44
EatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shedEatMyTacomaDust is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoyota View Post
You likely apologize for not holding the door too, right?
Well I guess I am giving off the wrong impression then aren't I??? Just getting to used to being around a bunch of West Coast PC Pussy's that get their feelings hurt all the time, so I've had to learn to tone it down a bit.

Not an apology, more like an admission - I guess a pretty weak one at that and actually ok, I'm bored . . .lol

So let's try that again:

Hey! Learn how fuckin' drive dipshit!

Edit: haha - I just realized your on the West Coast! Uggghhhh....lol
Old 03-25-2013, 05:55 PM   #45
BroBraBlahBlah
Spoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpoonman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jamie
Spoonman's Tacoma Gallery
It's super annoying. We have 3 way abs and it doesn't even seem to work right. Both fronts act individually, and the both rear act as one unit. Bit when one front tire has perfect grip and should stop the truck, it does not send enough braking pressure to that wheel. Pita.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 PM   #46
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 PM   #47
Its Wicked Flow BITCHES!!
KenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shedKenpachiZaraki is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ヽ(`Д´)ノ
KenpachiZaraki's Tacoma Gallery
I disabled mine, i've had close calls with some rain and it does suck but I usually have it on. I just flip the switch and its on off for me.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:08 PM   #48
senile member
Tacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedTacoyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Well I guess I am giving off the wrong impression then aren't I??? Just getting to used to being around a bunch of West Coast PC Pussy's that get their feelings hurt all the time, so I've had to learn to tone it down a bit.

Not an apology, more like an admission - I guess a pretty weak one at that and actually ok, I'm bored . . .lol

So let's try that again:

Hey! Learn how fuckin' drive dipshit!

Edit: haha - I just realized your on the West Coast! Uggghhhh....lol
Thanks for holding the door for me, nest time ill go slower. Hey how long you been in Washington ...or where you from then?
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #49

Quote:
Thanks for holding the door for me, nest time ill go slower. Hey how long you been in Washington ...or where you from then?
No problem. I always hold the door for chicks with big tits. . .

Oh god, about 8 years - it's been a learning experience to say the least. Originally from New Orleans & Memphis areas down south. . .

I will say that Oregon is pretty cool - like it better than WA.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:11 PM   #50
I've done... questionable things.
OZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shedOZ-T is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Peter North
OZ-T's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Get a room
Old 03-25-2013, 06:16 PM   #51
senile member

Quote:
No problem. I always hold the door for chicks with big tits. . .

Oh god, about 8 years - it's been a learning experience to say the least. Originally from New Orleans & Memphis areas down south. . .

I will say that Oregon is pretty cool - like it better than WA.
Oh jees, that does look like culture shock.

satoshi grill traction mod.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:20 PM   #52
Polymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shedPolymerhead is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Polymerhead's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ERS TACOMA View Post
Had same problem, cost me 2k. Wet roads, person in front slasmmed on brakes, to avoid a yellow light no less

Abs kicked in and i slowly rolled into into them. No damage to the taco, probably would have been less with theirs if it wasnt a shit box pontiac, whole rear caved in.
I literally almost did this on Sunday. Out for a coffee run in 6" of snow, getting around OK, took an interstate offramp and was going uphill, stopped slowly and under control until ABS kicked in. Then it was like Cleveland sliding out of the house in the bathtub. No, no, no, no.........stop. Probably 4' short of the car in front but the ABS did me no favors there. I probably traveled 40' after applying the brakes in an ABS panic when a complete skid would have piled up a little snow and stopped me in half that.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:27 PM   #53

Quote:
Oh jees, that does look like culture shock.

satoshi grill traction mod.
Well. . . It hasn't been all that bad. It's been a good experience for the most part.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:35 PM   #54
got 5VZFE?
taco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shedtaco terror is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Austen
taco terror's Tacoma Gallery
Shouldn't this seriously be a recall? This is just fuckin hazardous, like lawsuit worthy.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:39 PM   #55
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
ABS isn't to make you stop faster/shorter. Its to let you steer while braking.

The contact patch can either brake, or steer. Doing both is asking a lot as there are 2 directional vectors of force acting on it dividing the available friction for either effort.

Using ABS - hit the pedal as hard as you can and hold it, look to where you want to be, and that is where you will instinctively steer.

Road conditions likely contributed a lot to your lack of traction, and wouldn't have helped a lot if the ABS was deactivated.

If straight line braking, ABS will help prevent a skid, which is less effective than threshold braking. (applying force up to the point of a skid). Once you are sliding, you need to let off a bit and reapply - which ABS does for you.

Lack of familiarity and practice with ABS, leads to people using it improperly.

Practicing in an un-plowed snowy lot with full pedal force and steering will really boost your confidence level with ABS.

Try it with a friend who doesn't have ABS, or even better, has a kill switch to see the difference with it on and off. You won't be able to steer at all once in a skid with ABS off.

Best thing I ever did was take a BMW driving course using wet skid pads and a variety of manoevers with the systems off, then activated.

Absolutely unbelievable difference the ABS and traction control make to safety.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:48 PM   #56
senile member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco terror View Post
Shouldn't this seriously be a recall? This is just fuckin hazardous, like lawsuit worthy.

No.

Aside from maybe an actual broken system. I hear too many "want an abs reacall "from every vehicle. ABS doesn't promise safety on snow and ice. It cannot work unless there is some traction. In fact ABS, VSC, traction control CANNOT make traction, only manage what traction you have.

So for the fanciest TRD, or H2, or Biggest 3/4 truck, you drive off the lot ready to become the next ice accident, if you don't review what tires you have. No Car company is responsible for you driving on ice with tires that are possibly the wrong choice. They simply sell you an average tire that gets you around.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:15 PM   #57
Senior Member. Hey, what's That supposed to mean?
coma09 will become famous soon enoughcoma09 will become famous soon enough
coma09's Tacoma Gallery
True. Less traction on wet and snow and ABS won't create any. Just give you the best use of what's there. Tires certainly play a factor. All seasons in the cold don't have the traction of softer winter specific compounds.

Just making the point that ABS in general is a very good thing, but so many people are still uninformed as to what it's for and how to use it.

Interesting you mention several members feel their systems are defective. I'll have to dig through the archives to see if anyone followed this through with the dealer. Personally have had good results with mine. Knock on wood.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:21 PM   #58
Relentless
jjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shedjjhitchen is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Joel
jjhitchen's Tacoma Gallery
Get rid of that shit, ABS kill-switch mod has already saved me dozens of times off roading. ABS belongs on the freeway going 65 not off road or in the snow.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 PM   #59
senile member

I think were at the same point, different angle at the most, Coma.
As far as if someone feels their system is defective, I just would want to have them check it @ the dealer, a forum could be a real bad place to tell them its not. 9 years of Tacomas, I doubt very many are bad, or even come close to warrenting a TSB. Still anything breaks, no pun intended.

Yea, the offroad kill sounds good, I'm thinking of doing that, nice to have options.