Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

F@#%@#g abs almost killed me

Old 03-25-2013, 05:16 AM   #1
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
anotherreject's Tacoma Gallery
F@#%@#g abs almost killed me

I have read through the other threads on here with people complaining about the abs on these trucks and always dismissed it thinking they were driving to fast for the conditions.
Well this morning i had to drive home in some snow, the roads were in the process of being treated, there was about a half inch of slush on the road.
I was already driving with caution, well below the speed limit.
Approached a stop sign and began braking well before the normal braking point. I drive this same route everyday.
The road is flat, a t intersection, a one way stop sign for my side.
The abs activated with very little brake pressure, the truck rolled through the stop sign at about 10 mph into the path of a oncoming 18 wheeler, he was going down hill and would have had no chance to stop.
When i saw that i was about to become his new hood ornament i accelerated then came to a stop in a some grass on the other side of the intersection.
My tires are goodyear wrangler ats with about good tread.

I drive in snow when ever we have any, everything from front wheel drive cars, to a rear wheel drive crown vic, to a grand cherokee and now the taco. I have never experianced an abs system like this before, it is very sensitive.
Stay safe, i have to go clean the mess out of my pants after this incident
Old 03-25-2013, 05:18 AM   #2
Locked and Lifted "02" DC TRD.
Matic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shedMatic is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Matic's Tacoma Gallery
Stupid question but you didnt lift your foot off the brake and reapply did you?
Old 03-25-2013, 05:26 AM   #3
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
This is why I did the ABS kill switch mod. Very easy to do. Haven't had a chance to really utilize it but I did experience the overly sensitive brake response in some snowy conditions earlier this winter. I like to have options(like turning it off). I too like to think it's people that are driving too fast for conditions but I think there is some validity to this concern with the abs. Good luck cleaning your whitey tightys.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:27 AM   #4
Sublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shedSublime is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike
Sublime's Tacoma Gallery
I end up pumping the brakes slightly when it kicks in and it tends to turn it off......it sucks though, I hate it!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:29 AM   #5
Central Scrutinizer
LUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedLUSETACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dennis
LUSETACO's Tacoma Gallery
Yes indeed, it's crap. Every time I've had an issue with the ABS it's been at low speed in a straight line. I would prefer to have locked brakes than having that scary feeling of no brakes at all. I've even had a few times on wet roads that were just rediculous.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:32 AM   #6
I'll be your huckleberry!
Millertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMillertime187 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Iraq vet
Name: David
Millertime187's Tacoma Gallery
When the abs kicks in, if you need to stop faster push the pedal to the floor. Not suppose to pump or let off. Believe it or not ABS will stop a truck faster than a human. It feels crazy but it works. They wouldn't make it mandatory on cars now a days-

Given- I'm sure there are certain times a ABS kill switch would be nice. Like off road, ice or whichever.

Pick your Poison!
Old 03-25-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
anotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shedanotherreject is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matic View Post
Stupid question but you didnt lift your foot off the brake and reapply did you?
No i keep pressure on the brake pedal, thats whats taught in any drivers training class that deals with abs systems.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
CrazyDiamond is on a distinguished road

CrazyDiamond's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime187 View Post
When the abs kicks in, if you need to stop faster push the pedal to the floor. Not suppose to pump or let off. Believe it or not ABS will stop a truck faster than a human. It feels crazy but it works.
We had 4" of snow this morning, and I ended up pumping my brakes to stop going down a hill cause the abs wasn't stopping me quick enough - and I was applying even pressure to the pedal. I did not try mashing the pedal to the floor. I'm not new to snow (I learned to drive with RWD cars in the snow), but I'm new to my Tacoma, so I was a bit surprised.

I will have to try this later today... This is definitely counter intuitive.

To the OP - glad you're OK. Good quick thinking there.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #9
gearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shedgearcruncher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: training officer
Name: TW certified keyboard mechanic
gearcruncher's Tacoma Gallery
Pumping the pedal or mashing the pedal is not going to help . Kill ABS mod is the only way you will have control of the vehicle . I drive on ice roads/lakes up North in Canada and had no choice but to modify the factory ABS . Simply horrible and dangerous . It will kill one of us eventually . Whenever I see a post regarding Toyota Tacoma,s ABS system , I always refer to the modification .
From one TW member to another ...Please do the mod !!!!! Then go try your truck in the snow .The mod is easy to reverse if you dislike it .
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #10
Got2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shedGot2ryde is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ryder
Got2ryde's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcruncher View Post
Pumping the pedal or mashing the pedal is not going to help . Kill ABS mod is the only way you will have control of the vehicle . I drive on ice roads/lakes up North in Canada and had no choice but to modify the factory ABS . Simply horrible and dangerous . It will kill one of us eventually . Whenever I see a post regarding Toyota Tacoma,s ABS system , I always refer to the modification .
From one TW member to another ...Please do the mod !!!!! Then go try your truck in the snow .The mod is easy to reverse if you dislike it .
x2 It's an easy mod, no wires are cut, just tapped into. Would be very easy to reverse as said.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #11
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
ABS killswitch, keep it turned on until you are in a situation and then kill the shit. In this situation when it kicked on before the stop sign I would've reached up and *click* and stop and watch as semi rolled on by, pants still clean.
Old 03-25-2013, 05:58 AM   #12
LRGRNR
Sandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSandman614 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Sandman614's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Got2ryde View Post
x2 It's an easy mod, no wires are cut, just tapped into. Would be very easy to reverse as said.
Depends on OP's truck. There are different methods for different trucks as well as "on-the-fly" and "restart to re-engage".
Old 03-25-2013, 06:05 AM   #13
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
I hate it even on dry pavement slowly coming up to light and if you hit the right little pavement imperfection while braking, there it is, the stupid sound and the brake pedal mushing out. For no good reason. Easily the most dicked POS ABS I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with in anything I've ever driven with ABS. Hell, I've never even experienced it activating in other vehicles driven in much iffyer situations. Useless BS on this truck.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:12 AM   #14
Gregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shedGregman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Gregman's Tacoma Gallery
Get real winter tires.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:29 AM   #15
speedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of lightspeedjunkie13 is a glorious beacon of light
speedjunkie13's Tacoma Gallery
I will agree That the ABS in these trucks is pretty horrid and intervenes way too much. That being said, ever since I installed some new Duratracs, it's much improved. I still did the disable mod though, because in the snow I prefer to have complete control.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #16
XDMetal is on a distinguished road

Name: Jason
XDMetal's Tacoma Gallery
Mine's kicked in over some simple braking bumps in the asphalt when coming to a stop.....on a clear day with perfect road conditions. It seems the abs overreacts on these things often - I'm thinking about looking into the kill mod myself
Old 03-25-2013, 09:22 AM   #18
wyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwyotaco06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: BLM/FS
wyotaco06's Tacoma Gallery
Ive had several encounters such as this with the ABS system. For the first time in 15 winters of driving on icy roads, I am actually considering a separate set of winter tires to see if it would help at all with the dangerous, out of control sliding that occurs while braking going the proper speeds on icy roads.

Biggest complaint about my Tacoma has been the ABS. Other than that, almost to 100K without a single issue.

Im also paranoid that if I pulled the ABS fuse or did the mod to delete ABS, it would be an insurance adjusters dream in the event of an accident. It would take a pretty thorough insurance adjuster to notice that it had been modded though....
Old 03-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #19
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
T@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shedT@co_Pr3runn3r is one of the sharper tools in the shed

T@co_Pr3runn3r's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregman View Post
Get real winter tires.
Need a real winter to justify doing that. No snow, no ice......no need.
Old 03-25-2013, 10:19 AM   #20
I remember hearing someplace that modding an abs system with a kill switch is illegal. Im sure if i was ever in an accident and the insurance company saw it and knew what it was they would be quick to deny a claim, saying the brakes were illegaly modded.
And the issue is obviously not the tires if taco owners accross the board are having issues