LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

$3 Tacoma voltmeter

Old 03-25-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
snowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant future
Firefighter: SFEO(ret)
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
$3 Tacoma voltmeter

Annoyed with Toyota for all the widgets that my '91 had that they could not manage to install on the much more expensive 2013, I put one in my clock panel. I found a little .36” voltmeter module on Buyincoins.com for $2.94. Item (P011851). My detailed install doc is too big to attach, so I'll summarize with a few pics.
Pull stereo panel, pop clock panel out of back.
Pull hazard switch out of front (pops out)
Pull rear cover screw, release tabs and pop out rear PCB
Unscrew clock to get it out of the way
Carefully pry off front panel with a putty knife. (Held with double stick tape)
Cut opening to fit voltmeter module behind silly car icon
Mask and strip black paint from rear of front panel to make clear opening for the display. I used brake cleaner and electrical tape.
Pick up power and ground from existing pins on PCB and solder voltmeter leads.
Reassemble. Very clean, no new wires or connections.
Attached Thumbnails
 Tacoma voltmeter-photo25-small.jpg    Tacoma voltmeter-photo3-small.jpg    Tacoma voltmeter-photo8-small.jpg    Tacoma voltmeter-photo22-small.jpg    Tacoma voltmeter-photo13-small.jpg  

Old 03-25-2013, 01:08 PM   #2
JLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shedJLink is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JLink's Tacoma Gallery
That's a new one.. Nice job
Old 03-25-2013, 01:13 PM   #4
Red
Large is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shedLarge is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Large's Tacoma Gallery
That's pretty sick
Old 03-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #5
bullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shedbullaculla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bullaculla's Tacoma Gallery
Nice!
Old 03-25-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
snowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant futuresnowrx has a brilliant future
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
You'll see in the pic's that you can retain your flashing key LED if you wish by relocating it with a bit of wire and drilling another hole in the housing behind the front cover.

You'll want to put a bit of tint between the display and the front lens so you don't see the segments when it is powered off.

The module needs to have the mounting tabs cut off to fit between the clock and seatbelt LED. I secured it with some clear packing tape from the front and silicone globs at the rear.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #9
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
Buyincoins has a variety of sizes and colors of these modules. I used blue as I have that undimmable audio display and blue/white dash lights. you can get green, red or yellow as well. You could do this to most any car with the tiny .36" display. You could just double stick tape it to the dash or under the instrument hood-
Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
Rabid Conservative
majorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shedmajorhavok is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Mike in Cali..
majorhavok's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
Annoyed with Toyota for all the widgets that my '91 had that they could not manage to install on the much more expensive 2013, I put one in my clock panel. I found a little .36” voltmeter module on Buyincoins.com for $2.94. Item (P011851). My detailed install doc is too big to attach, so I'll summarize with a few pics.
Pull stereo panel, pop clock panel out of back.
Pull hazard switch out of front (pops out)
Pull rear cover screw, release tabs and pop out rear PCB
Unscrew clock to get it out of the way
Carefully pry off front panel with a putty knife. (Held with double stick tape)
Cut opening to fit voltmeter module behind silly car icon
Mask and strip black paint from rear of front panel to make clear opening for the display. I used brake cleaner and electrical tape.
Pick up power and ground from existing pins on PCB and solder voltmeter leads.
Reassemble. Very clean, no new wires or connections.
Extremely cool mod! Nice work!!!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:35 PM   #12
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Roderick
Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
the other night i saw the pics on another thread and was going to ask to post pics on how you did it...very clean sir
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
DerpWerx Fab
SingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shedSingleCabGuy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kase
SingleCabGuy's Tacoma Gallery
Awesomeness!
Old 03-26-2013, 08:41 PM   #14
Bad Spuller
Beavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeavis0076 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Beavis
Beavis0076's Tacoma Gallery
I like it. Great job.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
aka Frank Gallagher...
Jay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shedJay238 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Law Enforcement:
Name: Jay
Jay238's Tacoma Gallery
Nice work. I'm pretty sure UG does this too.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:53 PM   #16
Señor Member
Jerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shedJerez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay238 View Post
Nice work. I'm pretty sure UG does this too.
yup and scangauge too...also my radar detector
might add this to the top right infront of the lcd screen for the temp gauge
Old 03-26-2013, 08:59 PM   #17
offroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to beholdoffroadwonder is a splendid one to behold

Air Force:
Name: Jared
offroadwonder's Tacoma Gallery
Nice! Does it turn off with the truck or stay on? On second thought, you probably attached it to an accessory power source, so naturally it probably turns off...
Old 03-26-2013, 09:02 PM   #18
Señor Member

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadwonder View Post
Nice! Does it turn off with the truck or stay on? On second thought, you probably attached it to an accessory power source, so naturally it probably turns off...
from looking at his 4th pic, he got the power directly from the board itself which imo would be the 12v for all the lights on that board (clock, airbag lights passenger seatbelt) so long story short, yup it turns off when the key is out
Old 03-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #19
snowrx's Tacoma Gallery
If you want the voltmeter to stay on after the truck shut off, you could pull the power from the clock memory pin on the PCB instead.
I would not suggest it unless you drive every day as it it will drain your battery. I think it was rated at 200mA, although that seems high to me.

If you want to check the voltage without the key on, you could add a momentary push button switch to connect clock memory power to the voltmeter red wire, but I'd add a diode to avoid backfeeding the Accessory circuit and maybe blowing a fuse from the extra load

Can anyone tell me if all the 2nd gen Tacomas use this same clock panel?

Does $2.94 qualify as a cheap/free mod?

( I tested the current draw- it's only 7-8mA, ignore the 200 figure )
Old 03-27-2013, 08:52 AM   #20
Señor Member

Jerez's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrx View Post
If you want the voltmeter to stay on after the truck shut off, you could pull the power from the clock memory pin on the PCB.
I would not suggest it unless you drive every day as it it will drain your battery. I think it was rated at 200mA, although that seems high to me.

Can anyone tell me if all the 2nd gen Tacomas use this same clock panel?

Does $2.94 qualify as a cheap/free mod?
only difference between the 05-08 and 09-13+ is that the 09+ runs on leds...everything else the same

and ya i think so.