Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Discussion > 2nd Gen. Tacomas

Notices

Problems with ABS and VSC after 5100 lift, tires

Old 02-13-2009, 07:56 PM   #1
robert benner is on a distinguished road
robert benner's Tacoma Gallery
Problems with ABS and VSC after 5100 lift, tires

Hello: First off, thanx. to Chris 4X4 for the help on the UCA install.
Any ways took truck to dealer today with the new Hankook RF 10 in 265/70/17 size. They mounted and balanced them and did the allingment for 130 bones, not bad. I have stock rims with spider trax 1 1/4" adaptors and the Billy's set at 1.75" with AAL and one inch block in back with 5125 billy's.
So I am driving home and the truck handles great until I get to the turns. I was testing the new treads and suspension I so proudly installed, but the ABS kept going off around turns at a good speed and also on downhills slight turn. This really sucks on dry roads and ruined the new set-up. Searched the threads when I got home and decided to pull the #33 fuse for the VSC and ABS. Took her out for a mile or two same turns no bull shit, except the lights on the dash. The new suspension with UCA''s is awesome, rides like my titan, just lighter. Does anyone have the same problem and will this fuse out affect my other stuff?
Thanx. Rob
Old 02-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #2
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: former TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
sounds like the vsc kicking in....not the abs. it will kick in when it feels like the traction is giving way
Old 02-13-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Could be, it is one of the two, was happening mostly on hard corners, not wet or loose gravel. Could this be caused by the tire size change? I did notice it once and a while when it was stock. Any way to just lose the VSC , although I am not a big fan of ABS any ways?
Thanx. Rob
Old 02-13-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Sooooooper Moderator
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

there was something about possibly getting the vsc to stay off by holding in the button or something.....not sure what ever came of it
Old 02-13-2009, 08:38 PM   #5
Yeh I think I did that, you hold the button in for atleast three seconds and it is supposed to shut off. The truck still did the brake, wheel shake and noise thing. I kept looking to see what the light said, but it was flashing and I was holding on to the wheel as not to crash.
Rob
By the way like your mod's! I am waiting on a Shrockworks bumper.
Old 02-13-2009, 08:46 PM   #6
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert benner View Post
Yeh I think I did that, you hold the button in for atleast three seconds and it is supposed to shut off. The truck still did the brake, wheel shake and noise thing. I kept looking to see what the light said, but it was flashing and I was holding on to the wheel as not to crash.
Rob
By the way like your mod's! I am waiting on a Shrockworks bumper.
thx....i think i'm gonna be allpro'd out!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:34 PM   #7
HILOTOY
HILOTOY will become famous soon enoughHILOTOY will become famous soon enough

HILOTOY's Tacoma Gallery
I tried doing the locker mod (dbbl one wire mod)on a friends 09 4x4 truck. grounding out the yellow/blue wire, the vsc turned off but the abs stayed on. We wanted to turn off both the abs and vsc, but since it wasn't equipped with the rear locker the abs stayed on. Try this setup and see if it works for you............
Old 02-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #8
Thanx. Hilotoy: I have the sport model and do not think it has a locker ? For now I will just drive it with the fuse out and dash lights on, looks like christmas inside the cab. Boy you can now drive the truck, the new hankooks are quite nice and quite to.
Rob
Old 02-14-2009, 02:53 PM   #9
stephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant futurestephbm6 has a brilliant future

stephbm6's Tacoma Gallery
I wanted to do a 6" lift and no one will touch my truck because it has VSC they say it can't be lifted because of the VSC. Where I went they said the VSC is connected to the shocks and the brakes.
Old 02-14-2009, 03:46 PM   #10
Sooooooper Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephbm6 View Post
I wanted to do a 6" lift and no one will touch my truck because it has VSC they say it can't be lifted because of the VSC. Where I went they said the VSC is connected to the shocks and the brakes.
i replaced my CO's the other week and there's nothing connected to the shocks
Old 02-14-2009, 04:59 PM   #11
Well at the dealer they saw my lift and said nothing even test drove, but not as hard as I did. The VSC most likely runs through the ABS line into the brakes. I drove the truck again today with the VSC and ABS fuse out and it really drives nice. Do the lift the truck, will ride more like a truck and if you are a decent driver the VSC and ABS are basically worthless anyhow. The stock shocks are really junk even with the bilstien name on them. I did the rear first and drove for about a week on the new 5125's and what a difference, then did the fronts , left the rear about an inch higher.
On a side note to anyone who is going to use the light racing UCA's. They have corrected the original flaws , but you have to turn the gold bracket below the tensioning nut so that the square part faces out, otherwise you will have a lot of positive camber or whatever they call it when the top of the tire leans out?
Rob